The Tec 9

My first homemade

49 replies to this topic

#1 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:50 PM

So, at the last war here in Minnesota, Flaming Hilt Showcased a few of his homemades. In the actual war, he used his black pistol and it performed very well. In one round, I got to try it out and I was impressed.

Hilt later went on to say that homemades are different that normal nerf guns. When you design your own, you get attached to it unlike normal nerf guns. That gave me motivation to go and build one after the college year ended.

During my last few weeks I researched homemades on these forums and I came across many designs that were amazingly simple, yet smart and effective. I think we all know who I'm talking about. This gun wouldn't be what it is if it weren't for Carbon. I don't take any credit for this pistol, it goes to Nerfhaven. I give you the Tec 9:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The clip and silencer are purely cosmetic to try and make it look like an actual Tec 9

Posted Image

Posted Image

Uncocked

The gun isn't like any other I've seen in the way it shoots. I incorporated 2 of my powerful NF springs to power it. The one thing I haven't liked about other springers is that the rod sticks out of the back of the gun. This, to me, makes it harder to aim especially when the rod is long, in the case of the Tec 9.

The other problem I was facing was loading the dart into the back of the barrel. I don't like couplers because they aren't consistantly placed the same when reloading. Ramrods are fine, but when your plunger makes a great seal and causes a vaccum, you have to cock the gun with the dart in the barrel and ramrod it down the same distance each time to maximize velocity. I've never really been a fan of breeches either because they fairly complicated and need a lot of fine tuning to get the proper seal.

On top of all of this, all of the ways to load darts that I have said take up a lot of room. You have the length of the gun and the length of the barrel on top of that. With this gun, I fixed that. I have a reverse action plunger that pushes the dart out through the actual plunger rod.

Here is the gun fully cocked:

Posted Image

Everything is machined on a metal lathe and a mill. That's how I get everything to fit tightly. No bulky encaps here. The beauty of the gun lies in the back of it: (uncocked)

Posted Image

And cocked:

Posted Image

Here you can see how you would load the dart. Push the dart into the plunger, cock the gun, and plug the back with an endcap with about a one inch piece of cpvc pressed into it. It loads the dart in the very back of the barrel and maximizes plunger pressure. And boy, with those two powerful NF springs, it has some major kick.

Speaking of which, I'm having trouble keeping the handle and clip on from the vibration this thing puts out. I've used pvc cement twice and it's still vibrating loose. Anyone have an indestructable adhesive that might keep the handle on?

I won't be around for the next three days, but questions, comments and criticizms are welcome. All that's left is to paint it black!

Edited by Carrtoon, 14 May 2007 - 02:04 PM.

When beauty breaks the spell of pain
The bludgeoned heart shall burst in vain
But not when love be pointed king
And truth shall Thee forever reign

#2 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:58 PM

Don't paint it black!

Uncocked, that thing looks way too much like a TEC-9.

So that's what you've been up to, huh?

You gangsta. :( That thing is really cool, dude.

Don't disappear for too long!

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#3 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:02 PM

This. Is. AWESOME.

Words fail. The reverse plunger/plunger rod barrel is simply brilliant.

I gotta build something with that design. Thanks for the proper kick in the ass, Carrtoon...I've been needing it.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#4 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:42 PM

VERY interesting. Perhaps you could consider using a spring-loaded hinging door on the rear rather than a plug/cap. I would be concerned with the plug popping off.
As for glues try superglue or consider making a frame rail to screw the grip onto.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 14 May 2007 - 02:46 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#5 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:08 PM

Dude, that is some impressive problem solving; using the barrel as the plunger... The only issue I can see with that is that your barrel will be traveling backwards, giving your dart a negative initial velocity. But still, very impressive.

I'd recommend epoxy putty for fixing your handle; rough up the PVC on the gun, put some screws into it (not through though) and then put the putty down around it and into your handle. On my shot gun (the build towards the bottom, not the first one), I used it to attach the metal bar to the pump and it holds fine (granted, the thing isn't finished yet, but it feels rock solid, doesn't move, and probably will never come off) and I used the method described above. Once the putty hardens, it's approximately the same strength as steel.

Oh, and Pineapple, your new avatar threw me for a loop.

Edited by Meaker VI, 14 May 2007 - 03:15 PM.

#6 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:59 PM

Yup, epoxy putty works great. I use it all the time.
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#7 NerfFreak

NerfFreak

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:09 PM

That's pretty sweet. Now in wars, everytime you shoot someone you can yell "TMP'ed" really loud.

Nice idea there. It looks great too.
Nuckin' Futz

#8 ninjabeast22

ninjabeast22

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:41 PM

That is a great idea and it's so clean! It looks really nice.

#9 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:29 PM

Wow. That is creative.

What are the ranges like with that plunger?

Good to see ya.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#10 deathwolf

deathwolf

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:43 PM

Thats really cool. I just don't get how it works.
BROOD XIII

#11 Commonly Hunted

Commonly Hunted

• Banned
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:50 PM

I think it works like the Scout's plunger but the barrel moves into the plunger tube instead of the tube sliding over the barrel. Understand?

Very nice, although the angled pictures make the thing look even more like a real Tec 9 than the top view pictures. Was the magazine also made with the metal lathe?

I was wondering how to make a clip like that for a future homemade of mine. I don't want to cut a sction of pipe in half longways and then glue lexan walls to them because one custom-shaped section would be stronger.

I might even be able to make clips for the SCAR-Ns instead of buying the real AR-15 clips if I can learn your methods.

Great job.
QUOTE(Pineapple)

Next one who wants to be Michael Jackson, and save the world, gets a trip to Neverland.

Buy Boltsniper's guns!
Borrowed by FoamReaper of Boltsniper Forums.

#12 RaZeR ShArP

RaZeR ShArP

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:54 PM

Great job! Don't paint it black, or you may find yourself getting fragged by the po-lice.

You should see what I did while you were gone... I replicated your nite-mav, with a few improvements.

-Sharpie
"If only you could upgrade to a bigger one. Double the length and watch as others cower in fear of your balls." -Shadow Hunter Alpha

"I had just used some silicone spray on the plunger, and saw a nice increase in range. So I told my wife that lubing up makes my balls shoot further." -Carbon

#13 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:53 PM

The Legendary Carrtoon is back!
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#14 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:58 PM

Great job! I like the diferent layers of pvc.

Edited by PointBlank, 15 May 2007 - 05:01 PM.

You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#15 tacticaladvantagex5

tacticaladvantagex5

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:16 PM

Wow..That is sexy, you gonna use that as a primary yet?
"The moments I treasure are everywhere and all the time. I am the angel of dispair and my feces is the shit your dreams are made of."
Vacc
~fueled by the tears of a thousand orphans~

#16 Ronster

Ronster

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:23 PM

He's back!...
With a vengence!

Woot! Very creative.
-I Nerf, there for I am.

QUOTE(baghead @ Oct 25 2006, 09:55 AM) View Post
Ronster reminded me that I should have warned you all Prepare your Bladder for Imminent Release!!!!

#17 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:40 PM

You dog you! Awesome! You better be coming up on the 7th of July. Also post a video, I'm still a bit confused.

Edited by sam, 14 May 2007 - 09:44 PM.

#18 PREDATOR

PREDATOR

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:48 PM

Freaking awsome!
QUOTE(Groove @ Apr 29 2007, 11:03 PM) View Post

Wise man always say, "Arguing on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded."
-Groove

#19 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:24 PM

To answer your question about adhesive: super glue. Lightly sand both surfaces, wet one surface with the glue, and press in place. Haven't had a handle fall off since. If you use enough glue, it can be fairly airtight as well, for other applications.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#20 CAP Blue Beret

CAP Blue Beret

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:48 PM

Nice job, but don't paint it black. If I was a police officer and saw you with that, I would tell you to drop. But still, it looks like it was well made. Could you post some ranges?

Oh and Pineapple, no offense, but what the hell is that avatar? It looks TERRIBLE. Please, for the sake of your name, change it.

-Blue Beret

Edited by (CAP)_Blue_Beret, 16 May 2007 - 08:42 AM.

Check out NerfNation

#21 Newbie Nerfed

Newbie Nerfed

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 05:51 AM

you wanna post some instructions, please?

Edited by Newbie Nerfed, 16 May 2007 - 05:51 AM.

#22 themessiahpsg1

themessiahpsg1

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:48 AM

wtf, the pictures aren't showing up.

sounds great, though.
OIC of 34th Light Combat Battalion, Talk to me about enlistment.

#23 wallymaniac

wallymaniac

• Banned
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:46 PM

Your gun looks amazing, but can you post some plans? I am terrible at making homemades, I spent most of my nerfing time warring or modding a NF. Minnesotans kick serious ass.

I was playing with my titan, and I found my dads shotgun shells. The shottyshell shot fine but when it hit that rock it exploded.

You should have shot at yourself. You would have won a Darwin Award.

#24 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:47 PM

I don't understand. You load the dart through the back, cock the gun forward, put an endcap on the back and fire? Is this how it works?

Then when you put on the endcap and shoot the gun, wouldn't the endcap fly off or hit you?

#25 wallymaniac

wallymaniac

• Banned
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:48 PM

I don't understand. You load the dart through the back, cock the gun forward, put an endcap on the back and fire? Is this how it works?

Then when you put on the endcap and shoot the gun, wouldn't the endcap fly off or hit you?

You can get endcaps that screw in so well they are nearly air-tight.

I was playing with my titan, and I found my dads shotgun shells. The shottyshell shot fine but when it hit that rock it exploded.

You should have shot at yourself. You would have won a Darwin Award.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users