Looking For Brass

Need brass.

13 replies to this topic

#1 Miller Charlie Company

Miller Charlie Company

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 08:59 PM

Yes hello people. I'm looking for a place or a person that provide brass to me though the mail. I'm looking for brass that can fit micros good. I know CXWQ is good with the brass so I am leaning toward some on like that. I don't have a clue in wear to go for it. I know people say the Hobby Shop but mine doesn't have any. If anyone has an idea or can provide me brass I will pay good money for at least a 2ft section. Hope to hear from you.

MCC

#2 ItalionStallion

ItalionStallion

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 10:48 PM

I would sell you mine if thats what your looking for. I dont want mine because I dont use/make megas.

#3 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 11:19 PM

You can get it at OSH, Lowes, and Ace Hardware as well as the variety of hobby shops that carry model trains and RC airplanes.

The stuff you get at Ace and the hobby shops is usually K&S brand which has half the wall thickness and is generally better machined.

#4 Miller Charlie Company

Miller Charlie Company

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 02:40 PM

Yes! thank you CXWQ that iss what I am looking for.

#5 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 02:49 PM

You can get it at OSH, Lowes, and Ace Hardware as well as the variety of hobby shops that carry model trains and RC airplanes.

The stuff you get at Ace and the hobby shops is usually K&S brand which has half the wall thickness and is generally better machined.

What is OSH? Lowes and Ace do not carry brass. All I've seen is copper. I have seen K&S brand in a DE hobby shop, but they ran out. I've been to like ten hobby shops in central NJ, and none had 9/16 brass. Not too many people have it anymore.
"The occasional hell or damn is ok,
but we do sh*t and F---"

~Webbster, Foam Improvement.

"I got four points... I sackled you"

#6 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 04:40 PM

OSH = Orchard Supply Hardware

Ace and Lowes most certainly do carry brass. At least around here. The problem is often finding it since the employees don't know what it is and can't help you out much. In both cases, it's frequently near the back/middle counter where they cut keys.

Hobby shops on the other hand tend to have somewhat better employees. I usually call around and ask them before driving over. Do a search on Google for model railroad shops near you because they frequently carry it.

I've located no less than 6 stores within 10 miles of my house that carry K&S brass. They usually only stock 3 1' pieces of each of the larger sizes so I frequently need to visit two or more places to get enough for whatever I'm doing.

#7 Miller Charlie Company

Miller Charlie Company

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 09:57 PM

Yes the KS brand is around here in the lowes near me. A teacher that I have usesws it for models in class. Creative Computer Design or the Computer Asisted Design or CAD. He uses the pipes for dranage pipes and such not. But anyway the KS brand is around me and in the back area near the key cutting.

#8 DarkCow

DarkCow

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 09:05 PM

Um, yeah, what exactly is the cost for these brass/copper or whatever barrels? i think ou Home Depot has some copper for $5 for six feet, is that a good deal?

#9 Vassili

Vassili

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 09:48 PM

One 1' section of K&S 9/16" brass costs $2.30 at my nearby hobby store. 17/32" was only 2.15 if I recall.
Foam Fortress Co-Webmaster

#10 DarkCow

DarkCow

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:12 AM

Eh, i bout ten feet of 1/2 inch brass pipe at home depot for $5 i think. It really nice. I just was finishing modding my Blue SM3K. And it gets extremely nice performace. I ripped out the springs and plastic barrels, then got about two inches of brass, duct taped it, and crammed it in. Ill have to allign it better, but so far the results are amazing.

#11 p8ntballsnowman

p8ntballsnowman

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 01:44 AM

At home depot, ten feet of copper is 3.49$ i believe.

#12 TualatinNerfer

TualatinNerfer

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 05:57 PM

Whats better copper or brass?

#13 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 06:54 PM

Here are the tradeoffs. It's easier to get a lot of copper real cheap. It also comes in longer pieces so you can cut it to fit your barrel lengths perfectly every time, instead of worrying about the lengths adding up to the brass sections 1 foot serving size.

However, brass is lighter and thinner, so 1) it's easier to cut 2) it won't make your guns heavy and 3) it's easier to fit into spots... However, due to its thinness, brass is more susceptable to denting.

Brass is also sold in MANY more sizes, so you can buy a size that fits your darts exactly. Not only that, but having so many gradually larger sizes makes it so you can fit pieces of brass inside each other. This is good for spring guns, and for an explanation I will direct you to cxwq's Barrel Materials article.

Copper does have the advantage of more couplings, but you can fit brass barrels inside of 1/2" PVC and use a PVC coupler if you wanna do that. Lastly, brass is in general more smooth on the inside, so your darts will slide in and out better and with less friction. Copper is a little more crude by way of machining. There are more imperfections, I have observed.

Well, in the end the choice is up to you, it's just personal preference. Brass is commonly thought to be among the choiciest barrel materials, along with PETG. I hope my tips have helped out a little.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#14 Spark Plug

Spark Plug

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 08:38 AM

Eh, i bout ten feet of 1/2 inch brass pipe at home depot for $5 i think. It really nice. I just was finishing modding my Blue SM3K. And it gets extremely nice performace. I ripped out the springs and plastic barrels, then got about two inches of brass, duct taped it, and crammed it in. Ill have to allign it better, but so far the results are amazing.

I think that is cooper. They do not carry brass at home depot or at least near me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users