Measuring Ranges

accurately

10 replies to this topic

#1 CD-R

CD-R

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:04 PM

I'm tired of seeing so many arguments about ranges seeming strange, and so much differentiation in how people are measuring them. Today, my friends and I were curious about what ranges our guns could achieve, so we used the following method:
We used a tape measure and chalk to mark out ten foot increments on a straight, flat section of my street. We then wrote the accompanying numbers next to the marks.
This took us only about two to three minutes to do. This method was very simple, and gave us very accurate measurements. It's really basic, but I figured I'd post about it in an attempt to help reduce the amount of inaccuracy pertaining to gun ranges.
It's A Trap! -Admiral Ackbar

#2 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:08 PM

I just used a tape measure too.

It was primitive, but simple enough. Simply pull it out 5 feet, then lay it on the ground. Chalk off where each 5' segment ends, pick it up and move it to the chalkmark. Add up each segment as 5' when reporting the range. Get as close to the dart range using 5' increments, then measure the last increment that is less than 5'.

The first time, though, I didn't think of chalk. So I was using random objects to mark the increments. Heheh..

Edited by frost vectron, 12 May 2007 - 10:09 PM.

Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#3 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts
  • State:Washington

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:12 PM

I use a 100 ft. tape measure and lay it out across my basketball court, then find where the dart first hit the ground.

#4 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:16 PM

An even easier method: the sidewalk outside of my apartment bulding has segments that are five feet long (YMMV, but most sidewalks have segments that are equal in length). Fire, and then count in multiples of that length.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#5 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:52 PM

I measure an average walking gait and carry a ruler along. Usually run 2-3 trials and average it. Not as meticulous as a tape measure, but it's reliable enough to know my guns' capabilities in a war.
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#6 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:50 AM

I use a construction measuring wheel. Accurate to 999.9 feet (well, a thousand, but that's when it rolls over to 000.0.

Our driveway is almost 400 feet long, so I have lots to work with. I shoot, then walk the wheel to the estimated point of contact with the ground. Most stronger blasters skip their darts about 5 - 10 feet on hard surfaces like asphalt or concrete so I'll subtract that amount from the total.

For smaller ranges, I use our swimming pool deck, which is a bit over 60 feet long, and conveniently marked out as Carbon said, in 5 foot segments.

None of my blasters shoot over 100-120 feet (SM5k, SM1500), so I generally don't worry too much about ranges. I worry more about working on my rushing than anything else. Well that, and my modded blasters breaking.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#7 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:37 AM

I like the new avatar Pineapple, on topic, I just use a 25 ft tape measure. My sidewalk got messed up when some city workers came and layed new cement. I usually just measure out to the dart with the tape measure, and then measure the rest of the darts from there.

#8 Mod Man

Mod Man

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:54 AM

Hey NH'ers, There is need for some kind of standardization in measuring ranges. So we all are on the same page, so to speak. For my production mods I need to know how one change in design changes performance + or -. I use a simple method, when I have time I set up a ladder in my bro's pole barn ( cut out wind variable) it has a nice level surface. With tape measure I measure 5ft in height up the ladder then I clamp a carpenters level at that height level. With 100ft tape measure I run it out in front of ladder producing the range I will be test shooting down. Then I use a quick release wood clamp and clamp the top edge of the gun to the lower edge of the level. With all this Im trying to mount the gun so the barrel is at the same position ( 5ft+ level ) everytime I test. This is one way I have found to test different mods on the same gun for performance. The method can also be used indoors with a much smaller space, just scale it all down and keep it constant. Until there is a standard all of of us will be comparing apples and oranges. Question not on topic but......Why is it such a big deal that a pistol shoots so far? Isnt accuracy where its at with a close range firearm like a pistol. Leave the big range bad boys to the heavy guns. Lobbing in rounds from 85ft out....
Later all, Mod out

#9 SM750

SM750

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:56 AM

I only have a 20' tape measure so I measure twenty foot incriments(sp?) and lay out cones there. When the dart lands I just move horizontal from the cone and measure it from there. So as an example let's say the dart lands a little past the 80' cone and then I measure how far away it landed from that and add it up.
Also, stop being such a Jew and buy PETG from me.

#10 watkins

watkins

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:25 PM

The real issue as I see it isnt the length of the shot. Any idiot can measure that. The inconsistencies come from the verticle position of the gun and the angle. Most people probably fire a gun from about 4-5 feet up in non-testing circumstances. If anything needs to be standardized, firing height and angle are the problems. That said, I commend Mod Man for taking the initiative.

#11 commander erik

commander erik

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:32 PM

The real issue as I see it isnt the length of the shot. Any idiot can measure that. The inconsistencies come from the verticle position of the gun and the angle. Most people probably fire a gun from about 4-5 feet up in non-testing circumstances. If anything needs to be standardized, firing height and angle are the problems. That said, I commend Mod Man for taking the initiative.

Yes, but the problem is that not everybody is the same height or really cares too much about a foot or two of range added/subtracted because they are tall/short. As for the angle issue, just lay the damn gun on a table or ledge. It's close enough to be considered "level" or "flat".
To measure my ranges, I know that from one end of my drive way to the other is 60', so I just mark out 10' increments after that and measure from there. Or, I do what Piney does with the measuring wheel.

I never really cared too much for range debates. I just use what works and what's fun to use, regardless of what you people say yours can do.
USA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users