Crap, My Modded Nite Finder!

The Plunger Tube Went Kerbangy v.v

10 replies to this topic

#1 Yazzeh

Yazzeh

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:17 PM

Ok, so, I have my Nite Finder and it was all nice and modded. I replaced the red LED light with a laser pointer (which was accurate to about 2-3 cm), I replaced the double AAs with the button cells, I added 6 ammo holders (can't really see them, since the gun is just showing off its guts in this pic), removed the air restrictor, replaced the barrel, stretched the spring and I added some bungee on the outside (wasn't too taught).

Now the problem is... Well, one of the pieces holding the plunger tube in place snapped. You can see it in the picture, it's the bottom piece of the plunger tube. I'm wondering what you guys might suggest as a fix for this?

I took my ranges before this snapped and they were about 52' on average shooting straight. Now I only get somewhere around 35'. Not exactly sure why, but I'm assuming it has something to do with the plunger tube screwhole snapping.

Thanks for any help! Here's the picture:
Posted Image

#2 Aran

Aran

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:26 PM

It doesn't look like it should have that huge of an impact on the gun to me, so long as it's closed tightly.

#3 Yazzeh

Yazzeh

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:32 PM

It doesn't look like it should have that huge of an impact on the gun to me, so long as it's closed tightly.

I know, but it was closed tightly. I don't even know how that piece had enough room to jolt out of place! You can see the plunger tube through slits on both sides of the gun and I think that it even adds some holding power. I just have no idea where there was enough of a jolt for it to snap the plastic. Also, I think the plastic holding piece on top is also losing strength. Looks to be turning slightly white-ish, as if it's ready to snap the center of itself out. This is really depressing me. This was my first modded nerf gun and I've only had it for maybe 3 weeks.

#4 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:40 PM

It's not the screw port that's causing the drop in range. I don't know what is, but that isn't it. I've had that happen on two or three NFs and none lost any range as a result of it. Do a tune-up on the gun. Make sure everything's sealed up with a good airtight glue (hot glue, Plumber's Goop), make sure the plungerhead's sealing with the inside of the tube, make sure the darts are in good condition. Maybe add a little lube to the plungerhead and spring too.

It could be any of those things, but I can guarantee it's not the screw port because the plunger tube won't shift around too much with just one snapped, and even if it does shift around a lot that won't cause any decrease in range. If it does bother you though you can just put a dab of hot glue on each side of the tube to keep it in place, but not so much that you can't open the gun.

EDIT: What are those two darts with the black domey heads on the lower half of the case? Are the heads of them hard and plasticky? If they are I'm curious to know what gun you got them with because I have some too.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 10 May 2007 - 06:42 PM.

SexD Warves

#5 Newbie

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:46 PM

When the piece broke off, it might have made a hole in the plunger tube.

#6 Yazzeh

Yazzeh

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:02 PM

It's not the screw port that's causing the drop in range. I don't know what is, but that isn't it. I've had that happen on two or three NFs and none lost any range as a result of it. Do a tune-up on the gun. Make sure everything's sealed up with a good airtight glue (hot glue, Plumber's Goop), make sure the plungerhead's sealing with the inside of the tube, make sure the darts are in good condition. Maybe add a little lube to the plungerhead and spring too.

It could be any of those things, but I can guarantee it's not the screw port because the plunger tube won't shift around too much with just one snapped, and even if it does shift around a lot that won't cause any decrease in range. If it does bother you though you can just put a dab of hot glue on each side of the tube to keep it in place, but not so much that you can't open the gun.

EDIT: What are those two darts with the black domey heads on the lower half of the case? Are the heads of them hard and plasticky? If they are I'm curious to know what gun you got them with because I have some too.

Thanks, yeah, I think you're right, I just really had nothing else to go by. I'll try a full tune up.

There's actually 3 of those darts, and yes, they have black hard plastic tips. At the power of my modded gun, those actually left little imprints on my wall. Very hard stuff. Wouldn't want to get shot in the face with one. As to where I got them? Well, I randomly found a nerf-type gun at a dollar store for a buck. The gun wasn't terrible, for a dollar (it shot about 20 feet max), especially since these darts have kinda bad balance and what-not. I've never seen another one of those guns at a dollar store since I bought that one a year and some ago. I opened up the gun to see if I could mod it, but the thing was horrifyingly cheaply made. It broke apart under gentle handling. At least now I have an extra random spring and almost useless plunger tube (it's practically as big as CPVC).

#7 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:50 PM

This is offtopic from your problem but what type of barrel did you use? I never have seen that type before, all I have seen are either PETG or brass.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#8 Jtcm

Jtcm

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:53 PM

This is offtopic from your problem but what type of barrel did you use? I never have seen that type before, all I have seen are either PETG or brass.

I dont want to answer for Yazzeh but i believe it is CPVC (which I think is just thinner walled PVC). I also had a nightfinder where the piece holding the plunger tube broke but i havent lost any range to my knowledge.

#9 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:35 PM

CPVC is smaller than PVC, and has an inner diameter of about .524" (Could be wrong on that one, Slug knows it for sure).
And how long is that barrel? You'd most likely get better ranges shortening it a bit.
And to fix your problem: Check for leaks, especially around the barrel/plunger tube connection, and, like Newbie said, it could be that the break caused a crack in your plunger tube.
If none of those work, check your plunger head and O-rings and make sure they aren't messed up.
And before you decide to close it back up, lube the O-rings/plunger tube with a rubber/plastic safe lubricant, I like to use Silicon Lube. Do not use Petroleum based products, as they will eat away at the rubber.

#10 Yazzeh

Yazzeh

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:06 AM

CPVC is smaller than PVC, and has an inner diameter of about .524" (Could be wrong on that one, Slug knows it for sure).
And how long is that barrel? You'd most likely get better ranges shortening it a bit.
And to fix your problem: Check for leaks, especially around the barrel/plunger tube connection, and, like Newbie said, it could be that the break caused a crack in your plunger tube.
If none of those work, check your plunger head and O-rings and make sure they aren't messed up.
And before you decide to close it back up, lube the O-rings/plunger tube with a rubber/plastic safe lubricant, I like to use Silicon Lube. Do not use Petroleum based products, as they will eat away at the rubber.

Yes, it is CPVC. I'm too lazy to check the width of it's walls right now.

The barrel is approximately 4.5 inches, which is what I read on quite a few nite finder guides to be a decent length. I thought it was a bit long too, but I'm running low on CPVC, and I don't even know if I could replace the barrel after I cut it down and lost any preformance, since it's epoxied on quite well. Where might I find Silicon Lube? Besides in a sex-shop of course >.>

#11 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:51 AM

Spray Silicon Lub can be found at almost and hardware store, I got mine at ACE.
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users