Photo

Streamline Darts And Other Nerf Blasters

I found one that's compatible; any others?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:28 PM

My son was wailing at me with his Longshot from across the room while I was doing some work.

By the second mag, I grabbed whatever was relatively nearby in their toy pile (a yellow Maverick), picked up the streamline darts, stuffed them in the cylinder (they fit!) and fired back.

To my surprise, they flew quite well, and according to my son, "they sting pretty good!" (for stock blasters). In fact, they seem to have performed better than the stock orange/blue cup darts that came with the Mav.

Did anyone else try firing streamlines out of other (unmodded) blasters? Understandably, they'd probably work well in a micro-stefan modded weapon, but I'm just curious about other stock blasters.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#2 chalywong

chalywong

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:33 PM

I found that streamlines only really work in the longshot and maverick. In the maverick they fire a little better than regular stock micros but streamlines in any other gun just dont work right like Nitefinders, and pretty much any other blaster.

#3 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:36 PM

I got 20 more feet out of my CPVCed titan and after running out of the darts that came with my new NF (the yellow version) I picked a streamline up and it surprisingly went about 10 more feet further and didn't really fall at the end of flight. It fell over a longer period of time other than the stock micros.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#4 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:18 PM

I found that streamlines only really work in the longshot and maverick. In the maverick they fire a little better than regular stock micros but streamlines in any other gun just dont work right like Nitefinders, and pretty much any other blaster.

How did you "find" this out? I've shot streamlines out of almost all of my blasters, and they work amazingly better (aside from the obvious fishtail if you have too much power). Heck, in my modded at2k, I stuffed one down the barrel and it made a really loud "BOOM" as it came out, not a pop. But yes, they will definitely work in other blasters.

#5 chalywong

chalywong

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:45 PM

I'm talking about stock blasters, most of the time the barrels on stock blasters are too wide for streamlines.

#6 NerfFreak

NerfFreak

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:08 PM

They work pretty well in a modded BBB actually. I hit one of my friends in the thigh and he said it stung a bit. A bit off topic, but they work well in ball valve guns too.
Nuckin' Futz

#7 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:45 PM

Streamlines do work fairly well in the maverick, magstrike, and nitefinder. The ones I have are just a smidgen larger in outer diameter compared to dart taggers and most of mine have the dome trimmed off using scissor to correct the goofy flight pattern.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#8 firstblood

firstblood

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:52 PM

Yeah I also had nice results when I tried them out of my modified BBB.

Edited by firstblood, 05 May 2007 - 07:52 PM.

So I recently got a Razor Fin from Poo, and decided to dig right in.

#9 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:55 PM

I to have discovered that they work much better in craola barrels than normal darts do.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#10 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:00 PM

Did anyone else try firing streamlines out of other (unmodded) blasters? Understandably, they'd probably work well in a micro-stefan modded weapon, but I'm just curious about other stock blasters.

Stock blasters. Tell me you people can read. But yes, aside from the inaccuracy that can sometimes result from the hole in the rubber tip, streamline darts do provide more stopping power and range in stock Mavs, TTGs, and Crossfires (the only guns I've used them with besides the LS). This is due to the fact that streamlined darts are just that, and do not have a suction cup creating extra air resistance that acts on the dart.

The only guns that I have that do not fire streamlines well are my Magstrikes and my NFs (which I swear are cursed, because no matter what I do they have terrible range).

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 05 May 2007 - 10:37 PM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#11 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:03 PM

Stock blasters. Tell me you people can read.

I can read, thank you very much. And I have shot them out of stock blasters. They have the same outer diameter as taggers, so why wouldn't they work?

streamlined darts are just that, and do not have a suction cup creating extra air resistance that acts on the dart.

Actually, it's more along the lines of the extra weight that suctions carry in the tip that makes streamlines fire farther. That's also why they fishtail a lot more. It's the same as with rockets... a lot of propulsion in back and no weight in the front makes anything unstable, so more weight in the nose will correct it. The area of a streamline tip isn't that much smaller than the area of a suction tip, especially if you compare them to the old red/black micros that came with the airjet series.

#12 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:15 PM

I used to use streamlines in my maverick all the time. They corkscrewed in the ar a bit, but they were still accurate.
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#13 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:28 PM

Actually, it's more along the lines of the extra weight that suctions carry in the tip that makes streamlines fire farther. That's also why they fishtail a lot more. It's the same as with rockets... a lot of propulsion in back and no weight in the front makes anything unstable, so more weight in the nose will correct it. The area of a streamline tip isn't that much smaller than the area of a suction tip, especially if you compare them to the old red/black micros that came with the airjet series.

I'm not talking about surface area or weight. I'm referring to the fact that suction darts are tipped with a dish that catches air more easily than a bullet-shaped rubber piece. There is not enough of a weight difference in the darts to create significant range improvements or shortcomings.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#14 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:34 PM

Yes, I have found them to be superior to even most stephans. Especially modded as stated below.

The reason they don't work with NFs is because of the fact they are longer than the barrel. the point mass of the dart is outside the barrel, so they basically flop because they aren't really thrown forward as much as they are just thrown out.

If you trim them down, they will work fine.

Streamlines do work fairly well in the maverick, magstrike, and nitefinder. The ones I have are just a smidgen larger in outer diameter compared to dart taggers and most of mine have the dome trimmed off using scissor to correct the goofy flight pattern.

Either cover the hole in the tip with glue, or fill the dart tip with crack-and-seal. The reason the dome throws the trajectory off is because the force of the dart pushes air out the hole, causing it to veer and spiral.

Crack-and-seal works REALLY well, improving both range and accuracy, but is a pain to actually get into the dome. If you find one with an applicator that is really small, let me know where. Unfortunately, crack and seal is very sticky before it hardens. I gave up trying to make them after creating 5, because it wasn't worth my time to create more.(My crack and seal applier was huge though.) poking a small hole in the opposite side helps keep the gas pressure of the foam from forcing out the applicator.

Funny thing is, you could create "die darts" by filling the longshot darts with liquid, and capping the hole off with a bit of glue. then, on impact, the fluid spills out.
~AJAQ~

#15 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:43 PM

The reason the dome throws the trajectory off is because the force of the dart pushes air out the hole, causing it to veer and spiral.

It has uneven weight combined with an uneven aerodynamic profile. Rather than plugging the hole with glue I find it easier and more consistent to simply cut the dome off.
It doesn't really matter which solution you use. The effect of the dome (with the hole plugged with glue) on the performance of the dart is negligible.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#16 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:01 PM

I'm not talking about surface area or weight. I'm referring to the fact that suction darts are tipped with a dish that catches air more easily than a bullet-shaped rubber piece. There is not enough of a weight difference in the darts to create significant range improvements or shortcomings.

Tell me you can read. I'm telling you, that the weight is the big difference. Do this for me right now. Take a pencil, and try to balance a streamline and a suction on it. That will tell you where the center of mass is, and if you'll notice, it's farther toward the rear of the streamline than the suction. This creates instability. I'm currently in my fourth year as an aerospace engineering student, and I think I know a little bit about aerodynamics. And for the record, it's been proven that small, pointy tips of projectiles (aircraft) are only effective above supersonic speeds. Otherwise, they hurt the aerodynamics more than they help. This is why airliners don't have pointy noses, FYI. If your streamlines are going supersonic, then I apologize and you are correct.

Just wanted to let you know. I understand that air resistance may have a small part, but that is not the real reason.

Sorry Piney, please continue. ;)

Edited by bpso86, 06 May 2007 - 09:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users