Mantaray Shells

Some help please

7 replies to this topic

#1 Z-man12

Z-man12

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:26 PM

Here is the deal I am building a vacuum-form table this summer. The other day I got to thinking "wonder what I could do with this nerf wise." Then it hit me, maybe I could create mantray like shells for guns. I have seen some interesting guns strapped to the bottom of these shields in the past.

So I think I am going to give it a go and see what comes of this idea. But first I would like some help, can some one who has a mantray shell take some pictures and some measurements for me so I can at least get the size close.

The other thing I was wondering was if there was any one out there that had a design idea for a nerf shield mount for a gun or something similar that they wouldn't mind sharing with me.
I mod nerf guns so they look good. So leave my scopes, doodads, and trinkets alone I like them. I don't mind the weight and I started out that way on toy guns and its not going to change.

#2 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:33 PM

The vacuum form table will allow you to make a mold of the shell using stryene, which you can then use to recast the shell in a different plastic. The vacuum form table itself won't allow you to duplicate a part, it will simply form over the original.
And you probably won't be able to use the vacuum forming table to recreate all of the inner bracing and mounting holes of the original shell since those are too deep for the table to pull down into.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 03 May 2007 - 04:37 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#3 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:37 PM

Captain Slug's right. I used a vacuum former in tech ed. a few years back. Basically what it'll do is create a mold that you can make a cast of. The cast will be the shell, not the mold.
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#4 Z-man12

Z-man12

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:55 PM

The vacuum form table will allow you to make a mold of the shell using stryene, which you can then use to recast the shell in a different plastic. The vacuum form table itself won't allow you to duplicate a part, it will simply form over the original.
And you probably won't be able to use the vacuum forming table to recreate all of the inner bracing and mounting holes of the original shell since those are too deep for the table to pull down into.

I am compleatly aware of how these tables work, and I understand most of the problems they present. That is why I am going to make my own molds to cast off of.
The idea is to make two layers that I can then brace together to get somthing with the same basic application as using a Mantray to mount guns.

Captain Slug's right. I used a vacuum former in tech ed. a few years back. Basically what it'll do is create a mold that you can make a cast of. The cast will be the shell, not the mold.

I know the terms I am making my own mold to make the shells. Trust me I think this whole thing will work fine.

SO does any one want to take some mesurments for me and some pictures? :(
I mod nerf guns so they look good. So leave my scopes, doodads, and trinkets alone I like them. I don't mind the weight and I started out that way on toy guns and its not going to change.

#5 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:50 PM

I am compleatly aware of how these tables work, and I understand most of the problems they present. That is why I am going to make my own molds to cast off of.
The idea is to make two layers that I can then brace together to get somthing with the same basic application as using a Mantray to mount guns.

If you want to duplicate the shell completely using a two-part mold I would recommend doing the outside half of the mold using the vacuum forming table then do the inside half of the mold using silicone which will allow you to get full detail.
See: http://www.hirstarts...moldmaking.html
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#6 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • State:Georgia

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:14 PM

Also, talk to Baghead, he's the go-to guy when it comes to the Manta Ray.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#7 Z-man12

Z-man12

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:44 PM

I am not going for total replication just close.

#8 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:09 AM

My suggestion would be to buy, borrow, steal(just kidding) a manta ray and vaccum form a mold around that.

Edited by shadowkid33, 05 May 2007 - 10:57 AM.

how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users