Photo

Need Help For Air Tank Clip Fed Bolt Action Gun

5 replies to this topic

#1 puky

puky

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:00 AM

Ok. So I have this crazy idea which probably wont work, or I won't follow through with, but maybe someoen else can take on the challenge.

I'm working towards building a nerf gun that looks a bit like the SMG from Halo 2. I have it layed out as being clip fed with a bolt mechanism to que up the next dart, and an air tank as the power behind the punch.

I drew out a nice little picture for you all to get the gist of what im babbling on about:

Posted Image

I penciled in a barrel extension because I feared that having the dart placed so far forward would cause it to fishtail straight out of the gun (short barrel=bad control over fligth path?)

I apologize for the picture quality as I'm doing all this really late at night when i do all my good thinking, and I don't want to distract my room mate wiht a bright camera flash. But I plan[ned] on putting an internal pump in the handle, and the clip in front of the trigger, with possibly another clip stored in the foregrip (small clips obviously for the sake of eye appeal, maybe 6-8 micro stefans)

I also checked out this thread to learn a bit about air tanks.. but I'm trying to not use something as unweildly as a bike pump.

http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=8234

Then there would be some sort of bolt action to push the next dart into place. I planned on mimicing the design from the longshot, or at least using it as my model, because i am very content with the smothness of it.

I was also playing around with the idea of an extendable stock on the back, because I had a sudden maniacal thought that i could make this double as a loser-rifle-esque gun by having the option of a longer stock and longer barrel and a sight (and maybe a bipod?).

I dont really know where to begin with this one. Surely PVC frame, probably a brass/copper barrel, and I have no idea how to set up a trigger system on this baby. Any feedback you guys can toss at me would be helpful.

#2 monkey with a nf

monkey with a nf

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:45 AM

I'm actually designing something similar (here), though it's not designed to look like the SMG. I plan on using this valve and this pump.

The dart will only fishtail if there is too much air delivery. Therefore, you want the tank (when pressurized) to have around 3-4 times the barrel volume in air. Of course, a small barrel also reduces the range and accuracy.

And that thread on airtanks was meant to show how to make a large backpack airtank, not something contained in a gun (because there's no valve system).
QUOTE(Pineapple @ Sep 12 2007, 03:13 PM) View Post

For maximum efficiency?

1. Pump up. Count how many pumps.

2. Keep going until you hear a loud "bang".

3. Subtract one pump from the total. Rebuild your air bladder.

There you go.

#3 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:06 PM

Also working on one and plan to make a write-up when the prototype is finished: http://nerfhaven.com...opic=6598&st=30
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#4 puky

puky

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:15 PM

Im definately going to put that one way valve to use, but im concerned about space. I dont want to make the gun an eye sore with massive gangly parts. I have a spuermaxx 750 that gets suprising ranges and it has a small and compact air tank. I was hoping to use somehtign about that size, but unfortunately i'd only be getting 20 or so feet for ranges.

I'm also afriad to open it up (because its glued, and i dont want to ruin the casing) so if anyone has the guts of a SM750 on hand.. that'd be fabulous

Edited by puky, 02 May 2007 - 03:16 PM.

#5 elchupathingy

elchupathingy

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:26 PM

Using the longshot as a template is a good start. A friend and I have been thinking about a full-auto gun but have yet to start because my robotics club is working on other projects and we have to work on them. Ah well a camera controled nerf guns still cool.

As for the pump using a small bike pump inclosed inside the rear of the gun coming downwards could work and then have the tank in the upper area or even next to the pump it's self.
Sorry if the above is confusing.
Elchupa

#6 puky

puky

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:49 AM

Alright.. how about this? I figure I can scrap the idea of making one from scrath fo now and just toss some wood and pvc on top of a NF. realistically i'm only looking for somethign that can get 30 feet because our hallway battles usually lead into a room thats rather tight quarters with upturned couches and expensive gaming equipment, so high powered weapons are out. this is the sketch I drew out:

Posted Image

again, im sorry about the horribly picture quality, as it's 230in the morning here and I'm all done with exams so I have infinite time on my hands.

I had plans on making a in the front to allow the build in "laser sight" to continue to serve a purpose, how ever small of a purpose it is (even if its just to make an annoying light to shine in peoples eyes).

The only problem I think that I'll run into is loading darts. the casing I drew has the stock NF barrel ending maybe 3 inches inside. I mean.. I could always go old school on this one and use a ram rod like in the 1700's >_<

extending the barrel seems liek a problem since I'm wouldnt be modifying the rest of the NF.

help?

Edit: also, I have a NF (that I wanted to use fo rthis project) that I yanked the srping out of to put into one of my longshots. anyone have a good suggestion for a replacement spring so that i dont have to buy an entirely new NF?

Edited by puky, 03 May 2007 - 02:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users