Age Minimum For Wars

what the topic says

34 replies to this topic

#1 rebsol

rebsol

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:58 AM

I searched age minimum and minimum in the nerf war forum and then in the whole forum, and i could not find any info on the minimum age to participate in a nerf war. I am 13(having a bar mitzvah in a few weeks)and was wondering if in a few years if i could play. I have a little clan with my friends from school and we play in a backyard. If anyone could give me any info on this it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.(I hope this is in the right forum)
"If you're hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you"
Malcolm Reynolds(Nathan Fillion)

Firefly, the best show ever created.

#2 SwingTheNerfBat

SwingTheNerfBat

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:20 AM

I searched age minimum and minimum in the nerf war forum and then in the whole forum, and i could not find any info on the minimum age to participate in a nerf war. I am 13(having a bar mitzvah in a few weeks)and was wondering if in a few years if i could play. I have a little clan with my friends from school and we play in a backyard. If anyone could give me any info on this it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.(I hope this is in the right forum)

I don't think there is an age limit for wars imposed by the NIC. It really all depends on what your parents are comfortable with. You already have mini-wars with your friends, so what would the big deal be with attending a bigger war?

I mean as long as you're having fun and not hurting anyone, I don't think anyone on these forums are going to say "Hey, you're too young to nerf with us, go away"
"Ohio Nerf....We're not Completely dead.."

Come to CANO!

#3 Kuhlschrank

Kuhlschrank

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:53 AM

The issure is the person's age, but rather the maturity level. When a war's nerfers range from 16-20+, a 13 or younger generally is just too immature, and it ends up annoying the shit out of everyone else. Not to say that there aren't younger kids who are mature enough to nerf with older people, but generally it just doesnt work out too well.'
+Kuhlschrank+ of the ~Lawnchair Mafia~

#4 rebsol

rebsol

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:58 AM

While i agree with you that many 13 yr olds are immature, to the best of my knowledge i enjoy this and through many hard life experiences like major surgery i have learned to be mature, but I don't think my parents will let me go till im older, but just checkin. Even if i could do it, I think people would have trouble to believe that I'm thirteen, as shortness runs in the family.

Edited by rebsol, 01 May 2007 - 05:07 PM.

"If you're hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you"

#5 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:58 PM

I agree it's mostly about maturity level. If you're mature enough, and your parents are ok with it, go. Don't be like one kid I know who runs around screaming 'dildo' every time we try to get him to be serious about something.
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#6 GothicWombat

GothicWombat

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:09 PM

while maturity is important toughness is also a factor especially when playing with modified or homemade guns, even with overpowered guns like the titan banned, the definition of what an overpowered gun is goes down when you start playing with kids that aren't even in high school yet, not to mention you need to make sure you don't trip over them (that may sound like a joke but it's not, i've actually knocked little kids over when i wasn't paying attention where i was going, and if i'm running trying to reload and knee some kid in the face it wouldn't be good)
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable playing with anybody who wasn't at least a freshman unless they had an older sibling there that could vouch for them being able to handle it.

#7 nerf neil

nerf neil

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:24 PM

I'm 13 and I have played paintball and I could take it. I don't think modded nerf gun could do much worse, or are your guns super modded?
I LIKE TO SHOOT PEOPLE WITH NERF GUNS!

ROCK 'N' ROLL!

#8 hierarchy

hierarchy

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:24 PM

Yes maturity is a component in the age limit on a war but I think that the person who is hosting the war should deside the age restriction. But also I do agree that 13 is a good age for an age restriction.
QUOTE(Retiate @ Aug 13 2007, 08:43 PM) View Post

I guess you have some heavy duty industrial strength toilet paper holders. Do they advise you to wear eye protection when changing rolls?

My TTG mod.

#9 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:05 PM

It's up to your parents. Then after that it's up to the consensus of the rest of the people attending the war.
Provided you can follow the play and safety rules (which even some 16 and older players can't seem to follow) there should be no problem.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 01 May 2007 - 11:06 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#10 neomike88

neomike88

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:29 AM

I took my eight-year-old brother to a small nerf war with some of my friends. Everything was fine and everyone was cool with it. Just remember your eye wear, safety, and common sense.
Mike

#11 sourskttles772

sourskttles772

• Banned
  • 263 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:50 AM

I am 13. And I plan on going to a major war. My parents dont really care.
http://nerfon.smffor...3.com/index.php
One man Clan:
I saw the Crossbow re-release on the shelf at my local Target, but I didn't want to tell anyone because I wanted them all to myself. I hid them all behind Dora the Explorer toys....
[/quote]

#12 theschief

theschief

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:03 AM

I am 13. And I plan on going to a major war. My parents dont really care.

Well then thats fine for you. But, like many other things, this needs to be taken on a case by case basis. Individual maturity level is important, but I don't think a lot of 13 year olds possess that. I'd much rather any younger kid be accompanied by an older sibling, and not at all by other kids their own age. That would probably help the maturity situation.
nerfer34
Your account will not be functional until June 23, 20007 9:59 AM (depending on your timezone). This is an automated process and you do not need to do anything to expediate the unsuspension process.

+ Silver BBB
+ Ball Blaster and Buzzsaw......

#13 rebsol

rebsol

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:04 PM

on the subject of handling pain, next time you get major surgery pm me. On the earlier person who said that some older people can't follow the rules, thats true, and kids and teens might not have the maturity to follow the rules of the war. The guy who said that he might trip over someone, in my case that is true as I am growth hormone deficient, but if i do go to a major war anytime soon i have many larger friends that wouldn't be stepped on. Thanks for all the thought provoking posts.

#14 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • State:Georgia

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:01 PM

My 5 year old cousin has nerfed with us before. She didn't do a whole lot and kept trying to change the game so she couldn't be shot in between matches, but it was still fun.

It's not a matter of age, or maturity to follow the rules. Most people are annoyed by whiners than anything else. The "I Hit You/No You Didn't" game is especially irritating. It's the maturity to realize that everybody having fun is more important than anybody actually winning.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#15 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,820 posts
  • State:Arizona

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:19 PM

I'm 13 and I have played paintball and I could take it. I don't think modded nerf gun could do much worse, or are your guns super modded?

As I think it's already been said (just thought I'd say it again if it has), pain tolerance has nothing to do with it. Generally I don't get shot by insanely powerful guns when I play so pain isn't a major factor, but maybe if you ask someone who's been shot by a Big Blast you'd get a different answer. The combo of adrenaline and usually being shot on clothing rather than bare skin generally keeps the pain level at a low level. The only time I've ever really been in pain during a war was when someone chased me down with a Magstrike and diddled me with about eight shots.
SexD Warves

#16 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:27 PM

Singled Titans hurt a lot too. It'll draw blood from around 60 ft.

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#17 nerfsharpie6

nerfsharpie6

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:34 PM

As long as you explain the rules and consequences, you should be fine. If they disobey the rules then consequences follow. Have a three strike rule setup so they can be warned to shape up and play right. If they used the three warnings proceed to the consequences part of the plan. Age shouldn't be a problem as long as they know what to do and follow the rules.
We hang our flags and banners of victory off of your dead bodies.

#18 nerf neil

nerf neil

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:47 PM

As I think it's already been said (just thought I'd say it again if it has), pain tolerance has nothing to do with it. Generally I don't get shot by insanely powerful guns when I play so pain isn't a major factor, but maybe if you ask someone who's been shot by a Big Blast you'd get a different answer. The combo of adrenaline and usually being shot on clothing rather than bare skin generally keeps the pain level at a low level. The only time I've ever really been in pain during a war was when someone chased me down with a Magstrike and diddled me with about eight shots.

I understand that pain isn't the main factor I am just saying when it comes to pain it wont really matter.
I LIKE TO SHOOT PEOPLE WITH NERF GUNS!

ROCK 'N' ROLL!

#19 rebsol

rebsol

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:34 PM

I deal with some of my immature friends when fighting, i remember seeing a quote from someone that said something like" I thought this was all about who got to shoot Ryan" and in our case we actually have a Ryan like that. Obviously NO five year olds that i have ever heard of have the maturity required to play, but when you get into the double digits, I think some kids gain the maturity to play.

#20 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:51 PM

Well, my 7 year old bro plays and he's pretty mature about it. Now I would NEVER take him to a big war, like DCNO or something, but he's been in wars with some pretty high-powered guns in them (AT2K's mostly) before and he has never been a problem.

Here are the steps.
2. Click

#21 Warpig BANNED

Warpig BANNED

• Banned
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:03 PM

Also I'm 14 and going to be a freshman next year and I would only take friends that were mature enough to handle it. I'm not saying i'm super mature becuase I still luagh at some inappropiate words but you have to know when your out andcan't get angry. My major fear is that I will be extremley overpowered and shot in to a bloody pulp by more experienced nerfers with better weapons.

#22 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:49 PM

You probably will be, but you'll most likely end up shooting them back. So it's all good in that respect.

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#23 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:17 PM

That quote's actually Cxwq just making fun of Spoon, but I see where you're going with that.

So long as the person's mature enough to take a hit and understand it's just part of the game (and understand that taking a hit doesn't make them less of a man, so they'll actually admit to being hit), I say they're old enough. 13's a pretty typical low-end age, and is plenty old enough in my opinion. It's not that 12-year-olds can't play, but 13's really where people begin to be able to really have a chance physically against older opponents. Playing Badminton with someone who can't return the birdie is pathetic, and no one has any fun. In the same way, nerfing with someone you can outrun by jogging and who can't shoot the broad side of a barn just takes the fun out of it.

Just be reasonable, and things'll be fine.
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilývatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#24 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:19 PM

Does anyone else see the irony in that we are debating what is the age minimum to play with plastic toys?

I understand the point to this topic, but this was too good of an opportunity to pass up.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#25 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:47 PM

Now that you mention it shindig, it Is pretty funny.

Here are the steps.
2. Click

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users