Lightning Blitz Modification.

Like having a shotgun pistol.

23 replies to this topic

#1 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:12 PM

So I recently acquired a Lightning Blitz.
Posted Image
I must say that this thing is pretty fun to use. Its got a big beefy handle and shoots five darts at once. I did an eyeballed range test in my home and found that the darts go about 20 feet.

Time to open her up. Dont forget to get the hidden screw under the "Airjet Power" sticker.
Posted Image
As you can see the pump forces air into a huge pressure chamber. I must admit I am a little confused as to how these valves work. I am convinced the valve works the same as the Sspb because when I pull the trigger I can feel air hit my hand. The trigger does not pull the pin on this air chamber but it pushes a pin in. This causes the gun to fire. Again I am still confused as to how this type of valve works. Maybe if I understand, I can modify it further.

Now pull out the red turret like peice and pull out the thick air restrictors.
Posted Image

Now chop down the barrels that go towards the big white pressure chamber and chop them down so they are flush.
Now sand out the insides of whats left of the old stock barrels just enough to allow you to put your new barrels in.
I used OMC's Petg and the stuff works like a dream.
Posted Image

Now in this picture I think I was using 4" peices but I ended up using 3.5" lengths of OMC's PETG.
Here you can see how you need to put the other ends of the petg into the ring grooves at the end of each valve. The petg fit perfectly into the grooves. Superglue them in first and make sure they are in good and tight.
Now wait a few minutes and let the superglue go to work.
Then push the red turret like peice up as close to the end of the shell as possible. This is where it is supposed to be sitting. Then cover each base where the petg meats the valve with plumbers goop. This will seal any leaks and make sure you get the most power out of your LB.
Posted Image
Posted Image
You can see in the photos I had not used the plumbers goop yet.
Also dont forget to pull the pump out of the handle and re-lube it with rubber safe lube and plug the hole in the middle with hot glue. This will get rid of the over pressure release valve and allow more pressure to build in the chamber.

There you have it, a Lightning Blitz that can now shoot alot farther.
Posted Image
I cut the petg so it sits flush with the red barrel holder and doesnt stick out at all. Now you can also see right down to the valve and it can shoot stefans and all that jazz.
Posted Image

Ranges: 15 pumps with little to no wind on a sunny day and shot straight was able to produce.
An average of 65' with streamline darts and 75' with stefans with one of them touching down on the 85' mark.

This thing is very accurate and it amazing to watch this pentagonal constellation of darts go flying so far.
I must admit this was just a small side project. I know its been a while since I released something but Forsaken_angel24 has not stopped modifying it is just this latest massive project and Nerf Assassin have been eating alot of my time.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 29 April 2007 - 09:15 PM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#2 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:18 PM

You have doen it again Forsaken, you have done it again. Very nice job on the mod, though, I was not a very big fan of the lightening blitz. But it doesn't matter, Nice job.
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#3 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:19 PM

Good mod, it seems like that would be an excellent shotgun-like sidearm. Do the darts get a decent spread, or do they pretty much just fly straight?

By the way, Forsaken_Angel, love your work! Is the "latest massive project" Nerf-related, or school-related?

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#4 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:04 PM

Cool, I did the same thing to mine a while back minus barrels, but one of my buddies tried using it in our weekly wars and said it was a bit bulky to handle/pocket. It is nice to send a volley of foam at the enemy though, as some unfortunate soul so discovered when I shot them with my variant of the "Bigger Salvo".

Nice mod though.

#5 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:56 PM

Just to help you out with your further modification endeavors, I'll explain the working mechanism of the valve here.

The whole Airjet Series (sans Powerclip and Wildfire) uses the same valve type. Secret Shot 2, Splitfire, Lightning Blitz, all that stuff. And now, the SSPB.

It's easiest to see how it works on one of the transparent SSPB's, so if you've got one lying around, pick it up and take a look.

You'll see that there is a short plastic tube with a black rubber stopper on the end of it.

When you pump air into the chamber, it pushes the stopper up against the air output hole, sealing it off. The pressure built behind it holds it there. This is why with some guns (this is a problem often had with the SS2) you have to make the first one or two pumps quick; it's because if you don't, you're pumping air straight out through an open hole.

Now, when you fire, you're actually releasing air out the back of the airtank. That's why you felt air, Forsaken. It lets air out through a tube that sits loosely inside the short tube that's attached to the tubber stopper. This air escaping sucks the rubber stopper back against the tube where air is exiting, which uncovers the barrel again, and all the rest of the air left releases through the barrels. This is why on guns like the splitfire it is best to pull the trigger very quickly, in a snapping motion. If you try to squeeze the trigger down slowly, you'll let all the air seep out the back instead of it creating enough low pressure to suck the stopper back and let the air out into the barrel.

Here are a few diagrams I drew up awhile back that show the working of the valves from the perspective of a Splitfire:

Posted Image
When air comes in (barrels are pointing to the right; the gap on the right is the air output) it pushes the red tube with the black rubber stopper on it forward. This plugs the air output and you can continue pumping up the pressure in the tanks.

Posted Image
When fired, the exact opposite occurs. The stopper is sucked back, and the air is allowed out the barrel. The dart fires.

Posted Image
Hope this helps! Beautiful mod!
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#6 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:14 AM

Looks like a pretty decent mod. I'm also confused on how that trigger/pin set up works. It can't really push a pin that releases air because the air would just push it forward and all your pressure would be gone. It doesn't really look like a Bic pen mod is possible there.
Maybe someone else has more information on this thing.
Edit: Nevermind, Didn't see Falcon's post at the time I had hit the Add Reply button.

Edited by Retiate, 30 April 2007 - 12:16 AM.

#7 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:05 AM

The same valve is used in the blast chambers of the Mad Hornet, Blastfire, and Nstrike Hornet. It can be triggered by a rod, or by a sudden release of back pressure.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 30 April 2007 - 01:06 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#8 AnyaSeijin

AnyaSeijin

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:15 AM

Believe it or not.

Take a power clip pump and switch out the pump in the Lightning Blitz for it. Seriously, this was the first mod I ever did to any Nerf gun. I swear, I thought it was gonna take off my head. And it was shooting great without PETG.

Makes me wish I still had it.

#9 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:26 PM

Seijin and his PC pumps...that's what you put on your SM5k too, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure the PC pump helped it simply because the pump's so huge so it filled it so fast. Well, that and the fact that PC pumps don't have release valves because the release mechanism is on the bladder. I can only imagine what that Lightning Blitz must've been like, though...
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#10 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:43 PM

basically the same setup for a magstrike piston also.

Now, if I could only duplicate the piston, great things could happen.

Edited by AJAQ, 30 April 2007 - 06:47 PM.

~AJAQ~

#11 Gengar003

Gengar003

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:01 PM

Ahh, excellent. I still don't understand how those valves work, but I've got three (broken) ones on my Triple Strike.

I was attempting to do pretty much the same thing, a lil pistol-shotgun, but then my valves stopped. The backstroke on the pump empties the tanks.

Any idea why that'd be happening, Falcon?
I bought Kohls.com's last two AirTech 2000s.

#12 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:56 PM

The Lightning Blitz, the second most underrated gun.

I wish I could intergrate mine into something, but it's too damn big! It's much bigger than people would expect.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#13 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:09 PM

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is a underside splice onto a longshot.

It would take a bit of framework, but I can't see this fitting onto any other gun frame.

Actually, now that I think about it, one of these on either side of a longshot, with a foregrip, and a double pump for the Blitz(s) in the front, would be quite a sight.

Edited by AJAQ, 30 April 2007 - 09:11 PM.

~AJAQ~

#14 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:40 AM

As I began to actually play Nerf again, I realized just how badass multi-dart shooters are.

It's helluvalot easier to hit someone when you've got a wall of darts instead of just one. I forgot how easy it is to dodge darts. The Lightning Blitz (this one especially) can probably rack up a kill for every salvo it unloads.

The ranges on this baby is amazing. That's a clean-looking barrel mod, Angel. I'm beginning to warm-up to the idea of using some sort of "shotgun" along with a reliable secondary.

Unfortunately I don't own a Lightning Blitz--I actually bought the Triple Strike instead.

Are the air tanks sensitive to overpressure? I heard somewhere that the Triple Strike tanks/valves are ridiculously sensitive, so I'm afraid to plug the pump (or even open up the gun for that matter).

Hm. I can't believe there isn't a "thumbs up" emoticon, but you can be sure as hell I'd give you one if it were there to click on.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#15 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:14 PM

As I began to actually play Nerf again, I realized just how badass multi-dart shooters are.

It's helluvalot easier to hit someone when you've got a wall of darts instead of just one. I forgot how easy it is to dodge darts. The Lightning Blitz (this one especially) can probably rack up a kill for every salvo it unloads.

The ranges on this baby is amazing. That's a clean-looking barrel mod, Angel. I'm beginning to warm-up to the idea of using some sort of "shotgun" along with a reliable secondary.

Unfortunately I don't own a Lightning Blitz--I actually bought the Triple Strike instead.

Are the air tanks sensitive to overpressure? I heard somewhere that the Triple Strike tanks/valves are ridiculously sensitive, so I'm afraid to plug the pump (or even open up the gun for that matter).

Hm. I can't believe there isn't a "thumbs up" emoticon, but you can be sure as hell I'd give you one if it were there to click on.

Actually not really. What happened on mine was that I though mine was blown, and didn't open it for awhile (not really sure why) Turns out that a tube had fell of an airtank. A thirty second fix. The tubes are going to break way before the airtanks will. Just plug the pump. The gun requires a lot of pumping anyways. Also, make a staggered barrel setup. You will thank me when you can actually reload the damn thing.

#16 Warpig BANNED

Warpig BANNED

• Banned
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:34 PM

Nice mod, but for some reason I have not seen this gun in any stores which I think is strange becuase you guys seem to know all about it. It looks new so I was just wondering if it's at the east coast yet. Great idea and if I ever find this gun I will certainly use this mod.

#17 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:45 PM

The gun is quite old. It released in 1999. I am not sure if they are still available or not (but I can probably guess they are discontinued by now).

Slightly off-topic: Thanks for the info Z80, I'll have to take a look at my TS next time I get a chance.

Back on-topic: I forgot to include this with my other post, but is it feasible to double load each barrel in the Lightning Blitz for a 10-dart blast? Not sure how much power that sucker has... judging from the ranges, I think it might be possible (a little overkill).

Edited by frost vectron, 01 May 2007 - 04:48 PM.

Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#18 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:46 PM

Nice mod, but for some reason I have not seen this gun in any stores which I think is strange becuase you guys seem to know all about it. It looks new so I was just wondering if it's at the east coast yet. Great idea and if I ever find this gun I will certainly use this mod.

Actually, it's from 1999 and isn't made anymore. In fact, probably about 80% of the Nerf guns you hear about are old and are out of production. The Crossbow, the Supermaxx and Airtech lines, the Chainblazer, etc...all old and hard to find period, let alone in a store like KMart or Toys R' Us or something.

Edit: Frost beat me to it.

Edited by jwasko, 01 May 2007 - 04:47 PM.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#19 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:07 PM

Do the darts get a decent spread, or do they pretty much just fly straight?

By the way, Forsaken_Angel, love your work! Is the "latest massive project" Nerf-related, or school-related?

They fly straight unless you load the barrels with streamlines and then they tend to spiral strangely toward the target.

The latest Massive project is Nerf related and I continue to work on it at least 2- 3 times a week. Mainly racking my brain. It has also been racking my wallet so I doubt many will follow in the footsteps of this behemoth of a project. But then again it is easier to follow a step by step guide with pictures and a write up than create something totally new.

Falcon: Thank you for the compliment and the lesson.

CS: Thanks for letting me know what other guns function that way for future references.

Believe it or not.
Take a power clip pump and switch out the pump in the Lightning Blitz for it.

I would but I hate how flimsy the PC pump is. Its like a soft plastic that honestly creeps me out a bit.

The ranges on this baby is amazing. That's a clean-looking barrel mod, Angel.

It always means something to me when I get a compliment from a vet.

The air tanks arent that sensitive. When I got the gun I had to pump it twice quick for it to hold pressure. After firing multiple shots after even 20 pumps the only change I noticed was now AI have to pump it three times quick.

Back on-topic: I forgot to include this with my other post, but is it feasible to double load each barrel in the Lightning Blitz for a 10-dart blast? Not sure how much power that sucker has... judging from the ranges, I think it might be possible (a little overkill).

Definitley possible and this thing could even handle longer barrels too. If you want a better spray effect I would suggest using 1 inch stefans that are lightly weighted (a singel copper bb) You could put two or even three in a barrel.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#20 Warpig BANNED

Warpig BANNED

• Banned
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:14 PM

Wow it looked so glossy and new i didn't know it was old. But also i was wondering if you could possibly use Cmdrmack's "shotgun" mod for the Big Salvo on this gun? As in having the double ends of the plumber pvc swo it would fire 10 shots instead of 5.

#21 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:20 PM

You might be able to do that, but it would require some tweaking to my modification. My Y-Splitters will work in any barrel that will fire a mega dart, the Lightning Blitz is chambered for micros stock, so you'd have to start with a barrel replacement. Also, because of the size of the T-joints the close barrels of the Lightning Blitz would make them almost impossible to use without some strange arrangement.

It would probably be easier to just double-load the existing barrels.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#22 Warpig BANNED

Warpig BANNED

• Banned
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:01 PM

Ahhhhh... So if I was incredibly inclined to I might be able to drill out the barrels or such to give the Lightning Blitz the y-splitters?

#23 Guest_bmax_*

Guest_bmax_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:11 PM

I used to have one of these, and then we had a fire and had to move and i left it under the porch. :D

#24 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:26 PM

I used to have one of these, and then we had a fire and had to move and i left it under the porch. :D

BAD NECRO! BAD!

Read. Don't do it again.

Probably dead by now, or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users