Photo

Nerf Gun Check Valve

3 replies to this topic

#1 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 02:55 PM

Has anyone taken a nerf gun's check valve apart? That is the pump's check valve, the little gadget where the pump connects to the tubing. My at3000's check valve isn't working right, and I was wondering if anyone has looked at it before I rip it open and see for myself...
Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#2 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 03:19 PM

Check it out.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#3 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 07:16 PM

I'm talking about the valve in the pump, not the air tank. The check valve in the pump allows air to be pumped in, but doesn't allow air to escape back out the pump. It looks as if it is a little diaphram of rubber, but I want to ask before I rip apart my pump
Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#4 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 11:09 PM

Huh. I forgot I had that page... Anyways, I think I made this Blastfire pump animation at some point, for reasons unknown... Either way, it details pretty much how the check valve in a Nerf pump works.

http://www.geocities...modified/1F.txt

There we go. It's essentially a rubber disk on a stick of rubber, which, contrary to the animation, suddenly goes a bit conical after about 1mm from the disk (leaving a notch of sorts), so that it doesn't pop away from the end of the pump with enough pressure. When pressure goes past the disc, it allows that air past, due to its flexible nature. But the pressure of this compression then forces the rubber disc against a disc-shaped wall within the pump, which usually contains about four holes around a central hole, through which the "stick" part of the rubber valve goes through. This prevents any backflow through those holes. Really simple. The same system is used in pretty much all Nerf pumps, from Triple Strikes to Super Maxx blasters.

When my Triple Strike stopped accepting pressure, it was due to that notch part failing... Essentially, the thing popped out, away from the end of the pump. Usually the disk of rubber covers about four holes in a disc of plastic about 2cm from the end of the pump (which is what I'm talking about by "end of the pump" for some reason), so if it falls away from this disc, it becomes entirely useless. To fix it, I drilled out the very end of the pump, just large enough to get in there with some needle nose pliers and various stick-like tools, righting the rubber disk and pushing it back through the disk, popping it back into place. Regretably, this did not fix it, as it popped out as soon as I first pumped it (after patching the drilled hole), yet again... Depressing. Hopefully you don't have the same experience. If all else fails, you can always go with one of Hagen's aquarium check valves... They seem to work well, and are relatively cheap.
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users