Photo

Barrel/clip Idea

4 replies to this topic

#1 GothicWombat

GothicWombat

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:57 PM

Hello everyone this is my first post here and I hate for it to be just an idea but unfortunately I don't have the time (school) or the money (car) to do much with nerf. After reading a bunch of mods and homemade write ups I think I came up with a barrel idea that could work quite well in theory. Here is a "schematic" for how it would work

Posted Image

The red thing is the plunger, the blue things are the outside walls of the barrel, the green thing is the "barrel adapter", the jacked up squiggly lines are springs and the lil black dots are o-rings.

The spring around the barrel adapter holds it against the small part of the barrel or shell to create an initial seal. When the plunger hits the spring inside the barrel it forces a tighter stronger seal between the barrel and barrel adapter.

I came up with this idea as part of an idea for a different type of clip/shell for a full auto homemade idea I had. While the idea for the clip is still sound the rest of my full auto idea is not practical. Here is a pic that shows my idea for a clip/shell

Posted Image

The orange thing is supposed to be sections of pvc connected together with darts in them, when loaded the length of pvc with the dart preloaded becomes part of the barrel. After being fired the green device allows the spring below the clip to push up the next barrel section, when all darts have been fired the whole clip is ejected and you can put a new one in, I guess you could say it's like a 4 round shell, although you could theoretically have many more rounds per clip, the advantage of this type of shell over others is that it's much simpler and larger thus harder to loose

Again I would love to make my own homemade but right now I just don't have the resources so hopefully this at least gives someone an idea if nobody decides to try it for themselves.

Edited by GothicWombat, 28 April 2007 - 03:07 PM.

#2 PvtMcFlurry

PvtMcFlurry

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 03:02 PM

First off I would like to say welcome to Nerfhaven. Second I want to ask what the point of the spring in front of the plunger is I'm not quite grasping the concept. And third you might want to fix your capitlization before someone (aka Admins/Mods) do it for you.
QUOTE(Cannonball @ Oct 26 2007, 11:47 PM) View Post

I'm anxiously awaiting the hasbro over throw.

One Man Clan, or One Man Company?

Crossbow Mod.

#3 GothicWombat

GothicWombat

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 03:12 PM

First off I would like to say welcome to Nerfhaven. Second I want to ask what the point of the spring in front of the plunger is I'm not quite grasping the concept. And third you might want to fix your capitlization before someone (aka Admins/Mods) do it for you.

The spring in front of the plunger does a few things, the main thing is when the plunger hits it it will push the barrel adapter (green thing) against the other part of the barrel creating a tighter seal. The spring should also quiet the gun as well as reduce stress on the gun because the spring will absorb the impact of the plunger.

#4 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:07 PM

You stole my idea! Just kidding. But seriosuly, I had an idea a while back similar to this, but not using the clip. Actually, yours reminds me of the M1 Garand. I like it.

The idea of using a spring to force the "barrel adapter" up against the shell is cool, but it might slow the plunger too much, thus decreasing the range. Instead, you could link the "barrel adapter" to the trigger.

The other things you have to consider is getting the dart to go smoothly into the fixed part of the barrel, and holding that barrel in place. That last part is pretty much where I'm stuck on my homemade.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#5 GothicWombat

GothicWombat

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:16 PM

haha ya it is a lot like the M1 although it didn't concisously affect the design, and the barrel adapter is kinda inspired by my firefly and other guns that have a revolver type barrels because they use an adapter thing to keep the seal between the rotating barrels.

The spring won't slow the plunger until the very end, basically I use the spring to reduce stress and make the gun quieter, it will work the same way without the spring but the plunger will just smack into the "barrel adapter" which could be a problem if you have a powerful spring.

Actually I hadn't considered the darts leaving the clip, I knew they would need to be snug inside the clip so you could carry extras without having to worry about them falling out but I never realized that if the barrels don't line up exactly the dart won't fire. I think I have a solution though.

Posted Image

If the fixed part of the barrel is beveled then it will give a greater tolerance in placement of the dart, a drill and some sandpaper should work fine. The problem is the thinner edge of the barrel at this point requires a different method of sealing. I think the easiest way would be to make the end of the clip rectangular and cover it with a rubber or padding material that will seal wen the sharp edge of the barrel is pressed against it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users