Buying A Notebook

I could use a little help..

12 replies to this topic

#1 NerfKing

NerfKing

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:32 PM

So I'm buying a laptop, and I have 1200 bones to spend on one. I've got the search narrowed down to a couple Toshibas(Toshiba Uno and Toshiba Dos and a HP.
I'm wanting a notebook with at least 2GB of RAM but can be upgraded to at least 4, Vista Premium, Dual Core processor, an expresscard 54 port, and it can play HALO 2. I'm pretty much just looking for a notebook that I'm going to be able to keep for awhile without it getting to terribly outdated in just a year or two. Any suggestions on which might be the better choice, or know of an other good notebook for under $1200?

#2 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:08 PM

You might want to contact CaptainSlug. He's the computer expert, seeming as he builds computers. Sorry if this wan't helpful
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#3 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:07 PM

Stay the fuck away from HP/compaq.
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#4 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:21 PM

That model you posted has poor onboard graphics and will definitely not play Halo 2 at anything more than 30fps.

I would recommend that you

AVOID
- HP
- Circuit City
- Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator

I also just generally hate Windows Vista, but 90% of the laptops on the market now have one version or another included.

And I'm sorry but you're not going to find a laptop for under $1200 that can 3d play games decently, has expansion for upto 4gb of RAM, and all of the other features you listed. The closest you can get would be to find something through the Dell Outlet.
Such as this Inspiron 6400/E1505 for $1,009

+ Intel Pentium Dual Core - 1600
+ Genuine Windows Vista Business
+ 15.4 screen
+ 160 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
+ 2gb RAM
+ DVD/RW
+ 256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache
+ Bluetooth Wireless Card 355;1390 Wireless Card

Or This Inspiron 6400/E1505 for $1,129
+ Intel Core 2 Duo - 2000
+ Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
+ 15.4 screen
+ 160 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
+ 2gb RAM
+ DVD/RW
+ 256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 HyperMemory
+ Intel Pro Wireless 3945

Also check http://www.newegg.com

My preferred brands are
+ IBM
+ Dell
+ Toshiba
+ Acer
and ASUS makes GREAT laptops but their customer service is hit or miss.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 15 April 2007 - 11:00 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#5 NerfKing

NerfKing

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:33 AM

I was under the impression that Acer and Dell computer often times use cheaper plasic parts, and where not very good quality. I'm guessing you disagree?

Out of the 3 that I listed at the top, which one do you think is the better computer?

Edited by NerfKing, 15 April 2007 - 12:43 AM.

#6 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:42 AM

I would strongly reccomend CyberPower PC. I got my laptop from them, and it's great. Their service department is great too.

#7 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:52 PM

Here are two more options for you:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834220156
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834220044

1. I was under the impression that Acer and Dell computer often times use cheaper plastic parts, and where not very good quality. I'm guessing you disagree?

2. Out of the 3 that I listed at the top, which one do you think is the better computer?

1. There's more to a laptop than just the unit itself, and Dell and Acer have exceptional service and support. Your budget also doesn't allow you to be terribly picky. Your brand options that will net you a reliable/durable machine and effective support are Toshiba, Dell, ASUS, and Acer. IBM/Lenovo is the best brand there is, but their offerings are outside of your price range.
Posted Image
HP in particular has been know to have poor durability in both their frame and their electronics. I have yet to hear of any given HP laptop lasting for more than 2 years.
2. The Toshiba Dos has a much newer chipset and faster RAM, but all three have so-so onboard graphics so take that into account.

I would strongly reccomend CyberPower PC. I got my laptop from them, and it's great. Their service department is great too.

Here's their reseller ratings page: http://www.resellerr...tore/CyberPower
Their customer service is good, provided you can actually get ahold of them.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 15 April 2007 - 11:16 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#8 NerfKing

NerfKing

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for the help CaptainSlug, and everyone else. I decided to get this Toshiba
. Except for the GMA 950 graphics card it's pretty nice. But I only game casualy so it's no biggy.

thanks,
jake

#9 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:32 AM

I have never had a problem getting ahold of them. Email turnaround is usually under 36 hours, and provided you call within the hours, you can get someone on the phone with less than 10 minutes of waiting...

#10 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:46 PM

I don't understand why people get dells. They have a crappy plastic case and are fugly. I don't know much about gaming laptops, because it seems so pointless to me because laptops will get out of date. However, for a good sturdy laptop that you can find in markets for pretty decent prices, IBM thinkpads are quite nice. You should be able to find one with a good videocard for a notebook.

Didn't notice poster already bought a laptop, hope this helps someone else.

Edited by SirTofu, 24 April 2007 - 07:47 PM.

Nobody online Nerfs in the SE :(

#11 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:26 AM

I don't understand why people get dells.

Because by comparison they're affordable, reliable, but also come with a stellar service and support package. The level of durability depends on the product line you go with though.

And IBMs are THE brand to beat, but they come at a premium price as well and are never geared towards 3D performance.

#12 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:10 PM

I don't understand why people get dells.

Because by comparison they're affordable, reliable, but also come with a stellar service and support package. The level of durability depends on the product line you go with though.

And IBMs are THE brand to beat, but they come at a premium price as well and are never geared towards 3D performance.

I suppose. Yeah, If you need support for a laptop, dells are not a bade call. However you can get a refurbished IBM with a solid ATI graphics card, comparitive to other laptops, for under a thousand.
Nobody online Nerfs in the SE :(

#13 tcorr911

tcorr911

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:46 PM

I would get an alienware because it will play halo but doesnt have quite everything that you want, plus its in your budget.

Edit: Didn't realize you already bought one, nevermind then.

Edited by tcorr911, 25 April 2007 - 03:49 PM.

Bolt, ye are truly a god among men. Ye have earned yeself a place on Enigma's list of heroes, right below Sean Connery and directly above Papa Smurf...a highly honorable slot indeed.
-Enigma1313

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users