Nj Nerf Ownz! (thanks For The Pizza)

33 replies to this topic

#1 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 04:21 PM

HOLY CRAP! So I just got in from GnomeFest and boy do I have a story to tell. Me and Talio were first ones there and the LGLF soon followed. However the best suprise of the day was being introduced to 2 engineers from HASBRO! They actually paid 2 people from their staff to come and hang out with us, discuss guns and ammo, and just have a good time. They were two of the coolest people I have ever met. They bought us lunch AND even gave a bunch of us some FREE GUNS. I tell you, they totally changed my view of the guys at Nerf. I hope we can meet them again at our next large scale war. OK I'm typed out, more on the later.....
I hate you.

#2 NerfKing

NerfKing

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 04:35 PM

I have a hard time believing you but...What guns did they give you?

#3 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 04:37 PM

Mostly Airtechs and two new tech target guns, plus a shit load of stock ammo. I knew I would get some non believers, but beleive me we got pics with them and everything. When the others get home they will tell you more.
I hate you.

#4 JSkater

JSkater

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 04:44 PM

Well that's kinda hard to believe, but I dunno yet.

EDIT: Okay, I'm talking to TIS, I believe you now.
QUOTE(Arcanis)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Why dont you have anything to drink!?
Choose one, making you better feeling!

#5 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 05:05 PM

Wow. Fuck me hard...That's, wow. Yeah. If this is a sign from Hasbro that they are taking an interest in the people that openly take & alter their own products...damn, that's an awesome sign just as much as it is a mind fuck. Shit man, I want 2 engineers from Hasbro to come and visit me at my next Nerf war, and cater to my every need! That's too cool dude. Dope.

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#6 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 05:16 PM

Hey man, not for nothing but i think they said something about going to armageddon, but i didnt hear it. When some of the other guys get in they can update.
I hate you.

#7 Mantis

Mantis

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 05:16 PM

Yeah, and these kick ass shirts that they were gonna give us but only had 5ish so didnt bother looked like this- http://www.geocities...alf/nerfers.JPG
Yeah, not having a website that allows hotlinking sucks.

But they did come, they refused to kick ass, and left.
Though they did give some promising bits of info as to Nerf changing directions and them wanting to cater to both age groups now.
Personal LCM Summer Tune-Up Stats:
K:H=1.00
Shots Fired: 2.1 x 10^4
Fun had: 97%

#8 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 05:18 PM

Mantis ur link doesn't work at all.

They couldn't "technically" play and couldn't "legally" devulge any serious info. I won't post what we know here so hopefully their bosses won;t see it, but if anyone's curious, they can PM any of us. and of course the info we tell you stays OFF the boards.
I hate you.

#9 Lord of the Springs

Lord of the Springs

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 05:32 PM

holy shit, that's awesome. imagine if they came to one of the VANOs. god knows we could all use some free ammo...
One spring to rule them all, One spring to find them,
One spring to bring them all, And in the darkness bind them.
In the Land of Mordor where the Arrostorms lie...

#10 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 06:00 PM

Fuck man, I'm pissed. I spent my day at work... You guys are pretty luck I must say. Who knows, if you guys got some business cards, we could invite them to Reckoning 2004! ^_^
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#11 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 06:31 PM

I doubt we'll see anybody from Hasbro in the immediate future, so I definitely wouldn't expect anything. It was cool seeing them come announced (which had to happen). If they do see this, thanks a lot. I'm still in a state of shock.

Thanks!
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#12 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 06:38 PM

The WOULD choose a Vacc devoid event to show up. Pansies I tell you, they didn't want to deal with the alpha-male of the nerfing community!

VACC

#13 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 06:42 PM

What the fuck. You're fucking kidding me. I didnt feel like going and look who shows up? I mean my computer breaks and the leading developer of SWG runs around my town, and now this. Fuck. I'm gonna go stick larry chen in a blender now. Fuck you all.
"The occasional hell or damn is ok,
but we do sh*t and F---"

~Webbster, Foam Improvement.

"I got four points... I sackled you"

#14 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 08:13 PM

The immediate problem that arises out of that kind of marketing angle is legality... I seriously doubt Nerf would be able to survive as an uber-paintball. When Nerf gets pushed back to goggles and reserved "Nerfing grounds," things get a whole lot more complex than a lot of casual Nerfers may be prepared to deal with. Naturally, Nerf seems to be getting more popular all on its own, so this is probably not a tide we can, or even remotely should supress, but incidents like The Infinite Shindig's letter exchange with the park... Security, was it, TIS? I assume all went well if the war did too, but it still worries me a bit. Luckily, Nerf still retains the reputation of "soft, safe foam fun," but I'm worried that's a few welts away from alteration.

Eh, but I haven't had a chance to have a war in a bit, so I'm just a crazed nut who speaks of things that don't matter to him.

But otherwise, very cool of them to show up. Nice to know that the Nerf engineers don't want our blood or anything.
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#15 Mantis

Mantis

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 08:18 PM

Zero Talent...what?

#16 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 08:36 PM

The immediate problem that arises out of that kind of marketing angle is legality... I seriously doubt Nerf would be able to survive as an uber-paintball. When Nerf gets pushed back to goggles and reserved "Nerfing grounds," things get a whole lot more complex than a lot of casual Nerfers may be prepared to deal with. Naturally, Nerf seems to be getting more popular all on its own, so this is probably not a tide we can, or even remotely should supress, but incidents like The Infinite Shindig's letter exchange with the park... Security, was it, TIS? I assume all went well if the war did too, but it still worries me a bit. Luckily, Nerf still retains the reputation of "soft, safe foam fun," but I'm worried that's a few welts away from alteration.

Eh, but I haven't had a chance to have a war in a bit, so I'm just a crazed nut who speaks of things that don't matter to him.

But otherwise, very cool of them to show up. Nice to know that the Nerf engineers don't want our blood or anything.

It'll be a long time until we come to the point where we have legalized "Nerf fields". Until then we might have an occassion like the LCM, where you have to actually get a permit with a large war. At the same time, you have to take into account that we would have had to have gone through the same process if we were going to have a barbeque.

The park service and county officials were, I remind you, very helpful and allowed us to hold Apoc 2003 which was an amazing and all out enjoyable war. Things like these can only raise the awareness of the game itself. These are blessings in disguise.

For years many of us have suspected that the forums were visited now and again by some of the Nerf manufacturers and even the engineers. Now, we're sure of it. We've been acknowledged by the actual establishment. All these things are comming together, Nerf is moving forward, it's even growing.

Many spent the last year or so claiming omens of doom, gloom, and the ultimate demise of the community itself.

I think this is just another step.

And who knows, TNN has SlamBall, they could pick up Nerf! ^_^

#17 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 08:38 PM

Naturally, Nerf seems to be getting more popular all on its own, so this is probably not a tide we can, or even remotely should supress, but incidents like The Infinite Shindig's letter exchange with the park... Security, was it, TIS?

The letter exchange was a result of the park's central administration not understanding the whole "Nerf War" concept. It took about four pages, and three stefans stuffed in a business envelope to convince them otherwise. The long letter was just my style, because I didn't think that the LCM getting screwed was right. When you nerf at a park for two years, without a complaint, there shouldn't be problems when one asks for a permit.

Don't know what that had to do with this topic, but I mine as well clear things up.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#18 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 08:44 PM

Hey Shindig, two things. One, thanks for the cd, cool pics, and I posted them in my yahoo photo gallery if it's any concern to you. Second, is it possible that you could send me a copy of the letter you sent to the park admin. I was thinking this afternoon while we were nerfing, if this thing convinced the county, it sure as hell should convince my buddies pop, and I really want to see him get to a war.

Talio.

Oh yeah, pizza on Hasbro's tab just tastes so damn good. I never really eat during war, but I ate half a pie this time.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#19 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 08:53 PM

Oh, I just thought I'd randomly sprout my thoughts. It's just that our version of Nerf used to be underground, and now it's starting to see a little more of the new day. This visit from Nerf engineers confirms that we're showing up on radar. But if all went well in the park dealings, then I have little worry believing your optimistic outlooks. Sorry for the prolix wording on that paragraph... English classes have made me a monster.
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#20 Mantis

Mantis

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 09:01 PM

I dont think we have to worry about Nerf becoming mainstream if thats what this was all about.

#21 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 09:06 PM

WTF?? Hasbro engineers actually showed up at a Nerf war? I find this so hard to believe, though I don't think people like Mantis or TIS would fuck us around.

God damn. Tell them to come out to a YANO sometime if they want to see a REAL war, heh.
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#22 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 09:29 PM

I'm personally just happy to see things going right like this. The Nerf internet community is healthier than ever, and now as Zero so finely put it, "we're showing up on radar".

Maybe Hasbro or Lanard would be appreciative of a proposal for them to come to or participate in a war? Chances are they are young, or so I'm guessing. You never know, hell, this could lead to corporate sponsorship... dot dot dot. ^_^

#23 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 10:12 PM

Wow, I think we should definetly give them some invites to all upcoming wars to see exactly what we are doing to the guns and why (not that they cant see the mods section lol) so's that they can save us moding time on future guns ;-) *winkey* I still want to see pics of THEM, the SHIRTS they gave you and the GUNS they gave you, cuase I'm a skeptic, the only people here who I trust are Ryan Kevin and Vaccarina!
~SS

#24 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 10:42 PM

About nerf becomeing main stream vs. nerf being underground.

We didn't get a permit. If we had more than 25 people at GnomeFEST we would not have gotten one. If we had 50 people we would not need one. The park is huge. The cops worry enough about people dealing in the park at night. Unless someone shot a little kid or stole a golf club from the minigolf place, the police aren't going to care in our area.
In addition, we walked directly past a "Do Not Tresspass Under Penalty of Law" sign into a construction site and had the most kickass team deathmatch ever.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#25 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 10:49 PM

Ending, with yours truely in prone position, and not by my own choosing.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users