Bbb Breach Barrell Dilema- Help Is Appreciated

Barrel issues

4 replies to this topic

#1 TX-2000

TX-2000

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:06 PM

I had some brass sheeting lying around and was able to fabricate a clip/magazine (not sure what the proper name would be) and a breech on a brass barrel. I'm not sure of the exact diameter of the barrel but its about 8 inches long. I test fit a dart(suction with trimmed sides) into the brass and it fit but not very snug, it had a very slight slight gap around the darts outer foam layer.

BTW: I've done the air restrictor removal and did have a crayola barrel in before I started this mod.

My problem is that when I fire my BBB, the dart doesn't go very far.(About 10 feet) I'm assuming that 1) the air is coming out around the dart and therefore I'm losing effiency, 2) my breech is another source of air loss, or 3) my barrel isn't far enough into the plunger system of my BBB.

I cut about half of the original BBB barrel off so I could jam my brass barrell/breech system in. I didn't want to cut off the entire thing just in case I screwed up(which I did), so I could put a crayola back in. I seriously want to get a breech going on my BBB to increase Rof, but I'm stuck. Any sugestions fellow nerfers?

#2 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:02 PM

You need a smaller size of brass to nest inside the existing barrel. Having a barrel that fits your darts is vital to having an effective operating gun. Next time you will want to make sure you have the right barrel size before starting.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 03 April 2007 - 01:04 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#3 Jergling

Jergling

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:18 PM

I've had a mostly idle BBB clip project going since before I joined NH, I would suggest using an audio-tape box for the clip, and Captain Slug is right: if the barrel's too wide, even by the slightest increment, you're going to lose most of your power.

Also, you dont want to ram it down very far from my understanding. Just getting a good seal inside the original barrel should be good enough. (I used duct tape :lol: )
Save the NOOB, now declared an indangered species by the department of the redundancy department!

#4 monkey with a nf

monkey with a nf

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:32 AM

The only thing that you have to watch out for with audiotape casettes is that some (at least the ones I've tried) are narrower on one side, which hampers sprung magazines and kill gravity-fed ones. I think it might just be easier to make it out of balsa, or use something else.
QUOTE(Pineapple @ Sep 12 2007, 03:13 PM) View Post

For maximum efficiency?

1. Pump up. Count how many pumps.

2. Keep going until you hear a loud "bang".

3. Subtract one pump from the total. Rebuild your air bladder.

There you go.

#5 TX-2000

TX-2000

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:23 PM

I ended up scrapping the whole breech because of the brass tubing I found lying around not being the exact size it needs to be. I have it lying with my nerf guns to remind me and maybe one day I'll make a better one for my BBB. I just singled it again with a crayola. I was hoping I could do something like adding paper inside my breech to give a better seal and what not, but eh screw it. Thanks guys for the input

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users