Photo

Scout Problems

13 replies to this topic

#1 Marine

Marine

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:17 PM

Yes...scout problems. I modded it and now it wont work at all. At the most it shoots a normal dart 5 feet. And can't even get a stefan out of the barrel.

I modded it only to get a clean air passage.

I took it apart and had the actual barrel in hand wherethe bullet is held. I modded it so you could push the stefan all the way through and it be pushed out. I don't think I did anything to the actual thing that pushes the air through. I don't remember...I did the mod a while back...
Please I need help any possible reasons...I loved the scout <3

#2 navy seal

navy seal

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:43 PM

I think you took to much restriction out. Since the scout doesn't have a big plunger tube to put out alot of air you need some restiction to get a higher air pressure to shoot the dart. You should be able to glue somethig in the back of the barrel to restrict the airflow. For my scout and crossfire I just drilled a small hole (1/8") throught the back of the barrel and pulled the barrel pole out.
Played in 110 countries
Bigger than rugby
Bigger than snowboarding
Bigger than surfing.......Paintball

#3 Marine

Marine

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:57 PM

Very well very well. Oh and I took the part of plastic that holds the o-ring out. Is the o-ring important?

I actually had some restriction before today, but today I knocked out the last bit of it with a nail and hammer and now its just the same...(I took out the bit like I said before that holds the o-ring)

Edited by Marine, 16 March 2007 - 04:58 PM.

#4 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:04 PM

Oh and I took the part of plastic that holds the o-ring out. Is the o-ring important?

The O-ring is one of the most important parts to a Nerf gun. It is what keeps the plunger airtight to the plunger tube around it, allowing air to build up so a dart can be shot. I would definitely suggest getting an O-ring back on there.

#5 Marine

Marine

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:09 PM

Could I avoid all this by getting a PVC barrel? Or would I have to put some restriction for air to build up for that too?

#6 navy seal

navy seal

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:33 PM

The O-ring is one of the most important parts to a Nerf gun. It is what keeps the plunger airtight to the plunger tube around it, allowing air to build up so a dart can be shot. I would definitely suggest getting an O-ring back on there.

As Retiate said you need to put the piece that holds the o-ring and the o-ring back on. Use an airtight glue like superglue or epoxy not hotglue to attach it. The o-ring creates the seal that forces the air out the barrel and not out the plunger tube
Played in 110 countries
Bigger than rugby
Bigger than snowboarding

#7 Marine

Marine

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:43 PM

Yes yes but before today it did not work with the o-ring and plastic piece intact. Today I took it apart and took that thing out. Same problem. Could I avoid all of the glueing through PVC because if I just try to glue it back I'll be in the same place I was before I modded it today.

#8 navy seal

navy seal

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:44 AM

The plastic peice that holds the oring and the oring must be in the gun for it to work. You can either attach the stock barrel back on or a piece of 1/2" cpvc(pvc is to big) on to the piece that holds the oring for the barrel. Could you post pictures of the inside of your gun and the plunger/barrel?
Played in 110 countries
Bigger than rugby
Bigger than snowboarding

#9 Marine

Marine

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:58 PM

Yes but it could be a while my mom and sis who have cameras are out for a while...

P.S. When I was taking the nail and hammer to the piece that attaches to the back of the barrel and holds the o-ring the barrel cracked. I taped the crack up on the barrel, but that might mean I need to get cpvc 1/2 inch. I have it apart now and I'll look for a camera.

Oh (another edit) there is a mysterious spring that I found. I don't know where it came from but I think somewhere from my scout. I have both of the trigger spring so it will go back in place and of course the big spring and the cocker spring. is there any other spring??

Another update. I can't find my o-ring and plastic piece. I'll ask around but I'm beginning to think this scout wasn't meant for me.

Edited by Marine, 19 March 2007 - 02:25 PM.

#10 NiteWalker

NiteWalker

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:08 PM

First of all, there are, I'd say four main parts to a spring gun: a trigger, a plunger, a catch and the pull back thing where the spring is and the o-ring. The trigger has a spring which makes it smoothly go forward and back. The plunger can't have any cracks or leaks and has to be aritight with the barrel, to let no air escape. the catch is what stops your pull back thing from just firing all the time. It is usually a square or oval piece of plastic that has no center and it goes over the pull back rod etc. It always has a spring which enables it to push the piece of plastic into a small crevice. This allows your gun to fire only when you press the trigger. I hope you understand my bad explanation, but it seems you don't know how a nerf gun works.

Now, the scout isn't exactly like that, but works on the same principles. You have four springs: The one on the part of the scout that you pull-back, the main spring, the CATCH spring and the trigger spring. You might be missing one. Your plunger(the part with the o-ring and the part that goes over the barrel) is cracked and I don't think it is air tight... another problem. You didn't have the o-ring in, making your plunger's inside not airtight. Your barrel is cracked, leaving air escape through there. You probably lost enough of the scout's feeble power for it to never work with a cpvc barrel unless your darts are really loose in it. You have a really messed up scout. Just integrate another gun into it or something if you like the feel or trash it.
NEW Write-up of the DTG/At3k:
Click here
Credit to Carrtoon for the mod.

"The mother of invention is need... Who doesn't have to pelt people with foam?"

#11 Marine

Marine

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:13 PM

Ya I pretty much knew everything except the air tightness.
But something had gone wrong before I took the o-ring thing out. I just took it out as a last resort..because nothing else was working and I thought It might work.

#12 Marine

Marine

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:43 PM

Umm...I found the plastic piece and the o-ring. I'm letting it dry right now...About a week ago I took that thing out....and it wasn't working before then so I need to know whats wrong now. Could I get some pics of the internals please? I need the top and bottom of the barrel and also of the plunger. The top meaning looking down into the thing. I think my plunger is ok, its the barrel that's messed up. But who know something could be wrong with my plunger.

#13 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:25 PM

We really need some pictures. It would help us so much. I'm kind of lost on what has been done to your Scout. Any pictures of internals, no matter how bad, would help out a lot.

#14 Marine

Marine

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:24 PM

Well it is indeed a great mystery. I got some glue as you know and glued that plastic piece and o-ring back to the barrel. Which in turn made it exactly the same before I nailed it off about a week ago. And a week ago before I knocked the piece out with the o-ring it did not work.
Since obviously I did the glueing right it works now. I have no idea why the Scout works but it does. I've just made it the exact same as it was a week ago...its...very odd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users