Concept Dart

Shooting 2-4 darts in one

15 replies to this topic

#1 Jergling

Jergling

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:11 PM

I had extra time with some FBR, I don't know if this has already been invented, but I roughly mentioned it in another post.

By pie-slicing a short (to conserve foam) FBR dart body, and attaching BBs to the end, I made a shotgun dart, which shoots up to four incredibly small darts every shot. I'm still trying to perfect it, but it fires reasonably strong, and I can shoot it out of any stefan-capable gun.

I need suggestions on how to get better sealance with the cracks, and I thing this would only be effective in shell-loading guns, as it takes around 20 seconds to get the pieces together. Speaking of which, maybe their's a better way to put them together.

Here's some pictures that were mostly too close for my camera to focus on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Suggestions?
Save the NOOB, now declared an indangered species by the department of the redundancy department!

#2 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:42 PM

You can just stick short stefans end-to-end in the barrel and get the same result.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#3 Shadow 92

Shadow 92

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:42 PM

Someone posted something like this awhile ago. The only thing they did differently was they cut the dart after the glued the dome, I think. I don't remember how they handled dividing the weights inside the glue though.

Instead of keeping the pieces separate before loading, why don't you wrap them in a sort of paper shell? This way it keeps the pieces together and you can just slide off the paper when you're ready to load.

CS, doesn't stacking short darts end to end limit the range on the darts? The dart closest to the air source just pushes the darts in front of it. That works, but only in smaller amounts such as two to three. His way all darts receive an equal amount of force, increasing range. And if need be it he can stack those shot gun darts too resulting in eight to twelve darts being fired at once at an incredible range. (Just an idea but imagine three stacks of his shotgun darts in all twenty barrels of your Magstrike 20. That's 240 darts flying out all at once! You could take out entire teams with that!)

Edited by Shadow 92, 10 March 2007 - 06:10 PM.

#4 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:44 AM

Nice! I had a similar idea. You want a better seal? Make a 1" weightless stefan sabot behind that dart.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#5 Jergling

Jergling

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:21 AM

Sabots, I just read something about those on howstuffworks, perfect.

I haven't tried loading multiple rounds per barrel, but that would be awsome.

Hmmm, magstrike-shotgun combo. Have to ask my bro's permission to use his. That would be murder to anyone, 8 darts per barrel, times 20 barrels, I'd be firing 160 sprayfire shots in around 3 seconds! I have to try that, And that's only with 2 shells per barrel.

I'll try to make paper shells. How should I keep them organized, I just thought about that last night. Still, airsofters and paintballers don't go back for their spent ammo, why should a nerfer have to. (Unless it's inside, then it really becomes a problem with dogs)

Edited by Jergling, 10 March 2007 - 09:24 AM.

Save the NOOB, now declared an indangered species by the department of the redundancy department!

#6 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 04:25 PM

I don't think it's a bad idea. As a matter of fact, I think it's a great idea.

I personally would pick these up. No, airsofters and paintballers don't reuse their ammo, but partly because it's frequently not reusable. Also, it's a lot cheaper... if stefans were less than 1 cent a piece or took infinitesimal labor, I don't think nerfers would care too much either.

Instead of using 1 bb in each dart, try just using hot glue. I think these may be small enough that glue will be enough weight.

These would be best in shells, maybe not paper shells but just shells in general. I may use them in my shotty (that is, if I ever finish it). XD

Edited by Flaming Hilt, 25 March 2007 - 09:25 PM.

" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#7 Commonly Hunted

Commonly Hunted

• Banned
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:21 PM

I'm starting to like the fact that you didn't just up and leave the forums. Nice.

If glue doesn't seem to be enough weight, or the BB is too much, try using airsoft BBs. I think they'd be about half the weight of a metal BB at the most.
QUOTE(Pineapple)

Next one who wants to be Michael Jackson, and save the world, gets a trip to Neverland.

Buy Boltsniper's guns!
Borrowed by FoamReaper of Boltsniper Forums.

#8 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:36 PM

This would work really well with mega's (bigger size), if people are a little disoriented when working with tiny things, or they're just clumsy in general. Also, for anybody who airsofts, you could make a shotgun/sabot round by having a thin slice of FBR infront of a bunch of plastic bb's, and the a FBR sabot behind it. Just an idea I thought I would toss in.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#9 Jergling

Jergling

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:31 PM

This would work really well with mega's (bigger size), if people are a little disoriented when working with tiny things, or they're just clumsy in general. Also, for anybody who airsofts, you could make a shotgun/sabot round by having a thin slice of FBR infront of a bunch of plastic bb's, and the a FBR sabot behind it. Just an idea I thought I would toss in.

I was thinking the airsoft thing earlier, that would probably work.

I tried the sabot in my modded BBB. The barrel is a crayola and way to small, but if i used a pencil as a ramrod, I got the sabot and the shot to fit, and shot it against the door.

Shot without sabot against door: made weak 'whumph' sound as bbs hit door

Shot with sabot against door: Made painfully loud cracking sound (I think I dented my door)

I'm kind of worried about my door, but the sabot did its job. I haven't made any more or tried paper shells, the paper may make it too big for the barrel. I think I should research pvc shell systems, like in Boltsniper's FAR, those clips should work if I can figure out how to make the loading system out of balsa ^_^ .

The glue would be easy, but I have trouble with two parts of that:

1: I put markings on the shot to show which sides line up (reason I'm looking into clips)

2: I used up all the hot glue screwing around with old darts, I thought I had a huge reserve pack

EDIT: As follows:

I was looking at Boltsniper's SCAR, which is incredible, but without ever seeing the shell sealing mechanism, a sudden understanding of it came over me, that if I make the barrel out of the same sized pvc as the shell (that should be assumed) then I can use a PVC pipe attachment piece, and have the bolt slide it over the shell.

I think I understood this when I found a pic of the SCAR assembled, with a glimpse of the inside chamber. I'll make a picture of how I think it works, tell me if this is right, or if there's a better way.

I have no machining skills, no machines to improve skills, and no understanding of how people carve custom plastic with what looks like Sketchup (Boltsnipers writup had a sketchup looking CAD drawing)

Edited by Jergling, 10 March 2007 - 09:31 PM.

#10 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:21 PM

Although range would be weakened, accuracy would help these little guys out with 3/4 inch foam instead of 1/2 inch. You should make a removable breech for a 2k or something where you just put a preloaded, 1 inch shell in and close the breech, prime, and fire. Even better would be to modify the LS bolt to hold 1 inch brass shells and spit them out like the FAR by Boltsniper. I think that brass shells would fit in the LS magazines pretty nice since it already squeezes up against the streamline darts.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#11 Commonly Hunted

Commonly Hunted

• Banned
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:09 PM

http://boltsniper.co...nAnimation1.gif

Can you see it?

It shows how the shell fits in the chamber and how the rotating bolt works.

The barrel is 17/32" nested in 9/16" which extends into the chamber. The shell is 17/32" and fits perfectly in the 9/16" and against the 17/32", making a perfect seal.

Hope you understand.
QUOTE(Pineapple)

Next one who wants to be Michael Jackson, and save the world, gets a trip to Neverland.

Buy Boltsniper's guns!
Borrowed by FoamReaper of Boltsniper Forums.

#12 Dart Attack

Dart Attack

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:40 AM

Put a coupler at the end of your gun so that you could just attach a pre-loaded barrel on and fire. Then all you have to do is take that barrel off and put another pre-loaded barrel on.

#13 nube

nube

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 06:01 PM

I remember seeing this on another website last week. I'm going to go search for it now in my History. I'm sure I'll find it and I'll post it when I do.
Edit: Damn, that didn't take long, but the guy only used glue, no weights. These are probably only good for close quarters like indoors, but I don't know since I haven't tried this yet. Anyways, I'll just shut up and post the link. HELLO! Just scroll and you'll find it. I'm not sure if it has pictures, but just turn down the speakers for the crappy music. Or you can go to the bottom and push pause as I just found out.

Edited by nube, 11 March 2007 - 06:12 PM.

QUOTE(One Man Clan @ Mar 6 2007, 04:59 AM) View Post

I really should reevaluate my Nerf carreer. I have been ultimated multiple times in a war, shot by a girl with an arced NF, and EMBARASSED by a 6 year old in quidditch on xbox. What am I doing with my life?

#14 Paloose

Paloose

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 06:32 PM

These remind me of flechette rounds.

#15 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:32 PM

These remind me of flechette rounds.

Which reminds me that flechette rounds are used in shotguns (like mine). When I find the time to actually build that thing, I'll have to try this out. Good idea, Jergling.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#16 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:46 PM

Jergling, have you found any differences in flight patterns of the shotty rounds vs. normal stefans, along the lines of aerodynamics and/or accuracy? I don't think there would be much difference, but though I would ask.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users