Brassing A Dtg

The length of the barrels

8 replies to this topic

#1 NiteWalker

NiteWalker

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:24 PM

Well, I have a DTG that's just screaming to be brassed and banded because it barely gets 30' flat stock. Now, before I start I want to know if it will actually be worth brassing and banding. My goal is to get 50'- 60' flat with these mods with stock darts. I have two questions:

1)Is my goal possible with those two mods?

2) Because I have limited amounts of 17/32 brass, I can only make the barrels 2 inches long! Will this affect range or accuracy with stock darts or do I absolutely need longer barrels?

3) Should I make a write-up on this or not?

I will update this topic with my brassed DTG if it is successful.
NEW Write-up of the DTG/At3k:
Click here
Credit to Carrtoon for the mod.

"The mother of invention is need... Who doesn't have to pelt people with foam?"

#2 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:23 PM

Don't do it.The barrels you would want are 6 inches or so in length. It's 15 bucks of brass, and if you screw up, it's 15 bucks of brass. It may work, but you need a very strong spring. Carrtoon already did this. I tried it, and it didn't work.

Edited by SirTofu, 08 March 2007 - 04:23 PM.

Nobody online Nerfs in the SE :(

#3 NiteWalker

NiteWalker

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:35 PM

OK, I get why I would need maybe 3 inch barrels, but 6 inches is too long and I'm not trying to shoot stefans. This being said, I just need to know f my very short barrels will work because I'm only using taggers and I want it to be fairly compact(meaning no barrels sticking 4 inches out of the gun). The guy who cpvc-ed his gun got good results and I was wondering if my brass would get the same.
Click here

#4 monkey with a nf

monkey with a nf

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:59 PM

The plunger only puts out enough air for about 2 1/2" of 1/2' or so tubing anyway, so you should be fine with 2" barrels for stock darts.
QUOTE(Pineapple @ Sep 12 2007, 03:13 PM) View Post

For maximum efficiency?

1. Pump up. Count how many pumps.

2. Keep going until you hear a loud "bang".

3. Subtract one pump from the total. Rebuild your air bladder.

There you go.

#5 NiteWalker

NiteWalker

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:14 PM

Sorry for posting AGAIN in this topic, but I cut one piece of 2" brass and glued it on the turret and the dart didn't leave the barrel. I beleive, however, that I can still increase the range by putting a small section of 17/32 brass at the end of the stock barrels. Thank you, SirTofu for warning me about this.
Click here

#6 funkyjake

funkyjake

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:08 PM

...but I cut one piece of 2" brass and glued it on the turret and the dart didn't leave the barrel.

Wait, did you just glue it against the edge of the stock orange turret?

Because I think that would not be a very good strategy.

#7 Shadow 92

Shadow 92

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:20 PM

Do you have to brass it? I'd just use CPVC if it fits my darts. And make sure you remove the orange barrels and glue the CPVC/brass directly onto the turret and not where the AR ends. If you don't, then you end up losing about 3/4" of space where your dart could be, making your gun more effective and compact.

Couple other things. DTG's have a maximum air output similar to a Nite Finder. If you account for the air loss in between the plunger and the turret then your ideal barrel length is around 4". So go for the CPVC barrels if you want decent range with stock taggers and great range if you decide to use Stefans. The banding shouldn't be a problem and is definitely worth it. And I'd be willing to see a write-up.

#8 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:01 PM

It depends on your foam for your specific barrel choice. My darts used to fit Cpvc, and now they don't shrink as much. Go figure.

But still, I really wouldn't suggest doing this. I didn't get good results when I modded mine and my darts fit Cpvc, it was inconsistent. Banding is possible, but if the band breaks you have to open up the gun EVERY TIME. Not worth the barrel material to mod this gun, man.

But if you are going to mod it, shadow gave some pretty accurate advice. Except for the whole turret part. If you want to eliminate that space he's talking about, you have to remove all of the stubs on the turret, which SUCKS. Just a warning.

TS

#9 NiteWalker

NiteWalker

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:43 PM

A whole 17/32 brass barrel with a stock dart in it is too much for the seal between the plunger and turret. Maybe my darts are too tight in it, but I can feel the air go out where the seal should be. I put the brass IN the little nubs from the turret and hot-glued them in. Inserting small sections of brass at the back of the stock barrels is too hard and it will take lots of testing to find the proper length to put in.
Click here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users