The Art Of Stealth

My first tactics article

9 replies to this topic

#1 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 07:31 PM

I posted this at NHQ, and I'm not sure why it never got over here. I guess I forgot to post it here. Anyway, here is my first (serious) tactics article.

The Art of Stealth

First of all, this article is based on tactics I have actually used in the past. I don't believe in writing tactics articles about tactics you've never had experience with, so this has all been tested and I've had great success with it. What you do with this information is up to you, but don't tell me that "while it looks good on paper, it would never really work."
Most of Nerf warfare consists of running around, shooting, dodging and constantly having to watch your back. While these are all fun elements of Nerf, in smaller wars of two or three people they can often lead to standoffs and other things that kill the game, especially for newer players who are just seeing it for the first time. For small wars (most notably one-on-ones), being stealthy can help you avoid getting into boring standoffs and long, drawn out battles.
However, stealth doesn’t mean using a silent gun and doing a lot of barrel taps. You can still have fun and don't have to turn the game into an hour of sneaking around and never shooting. While you will probably cut down on the amount of fast-paced shootouts, being stealthy can allow you to do different and exciting things.
It's all about remaining unseen. But this doesn't mean you have to wear a ghillie suit or even dark clothing. While clothing that won't stand out will help, it's not necessary as long as you know how to be sneaky. Remember, if you get within thirty feet of your enemy and they spot you (especially if they're using a more powerful gun or one with a lot more ammo), you have to start all over again. Now, while it's true that almost anyone can hit someone from thirty feet, you have to consider that this is probably true of your enemy as well. It's better to just get out of there rather than trying to fight from close range and possibly getting yourself shot. The obvious exception to this is if you have very heavy cover such as bushes, but it's still a dangerous situation to be in and should be avoided if possible.
Now how do you go about being an invisible man? First of all, it's important to remember that if you get caught while obviously trying to stay out of sight, your opponent is going to know what you're up to and will probably keep a closer watch on his surroundings, meaning almost all future attempts will be futile. You must move only when you know your enemy's position. If you don't know where they are, running those ten feet through the open to get behind more sufficient cover could be your last. Make absolutely certain that you know where your enemy is at all times. If you lose track of them, stay where you are and wait until you see them again. The WORST thing you can possibly do is to make a run for cover or turn a corner when you don't know your enemy isn't waiting there for you or watching that area from afar.
You must also make sure your opponent doesn't know where you are. The best situation is to have sufficient cover, know where your enemy is and know that he doesn't know where you are. Even a vague idea of your general direction could give you away, because if they know you're in an area they will keep their eye on it; this will essentially trap you in one spot and set you up to get shot. Keep tabs on your opponent's position while constantly moving (when it's safe – remember not to move anywhere if you can't see the enemy), not only to avoid them finding you, but if they know where you are and haven't let on and you move somewhere else without them knowing, you've got the upper hand.
The third thing to keep in mind when employing stealth tactics is to GET CLOSE to your enemy before attacking! If you're fifty feet away when you run out from your hiding place, the person you're attacking will have plenty of time to run away and then that spot will be permanently marked as a danger zone to him, effectively destroying any chances you've got of ever pulling off an ambush from there. Be patient and don't move too quickly.
I don't expect anyone to be an unstoppable force of Nerfy death after reading this article, but I hope it does help someone in some small way the next time they find themselves in the middle of a battle. Thanks for reading and have fun.

Note: This article is part tongue-in-cheek; I don't expect anyone to take it too seriously, but I do hope it can be considered a useful set of tactics for some people. Keep in mind that this article is meant for very small two or three person wars; yours may be different, but in the wars I have these tactics have proven very effective for me.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 07 March 2007 - 07:07 PM.

SexD Warves

#2 PiMpDaDdY

PiMpDaDdY

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 07:41 PM

Wow! Great Article Nerfmonkey. This is gonna be very useful to me in my upcoming war. Once again great article. Keep writing. *Prints article to read at breakfast tomrrow moring*
NerfMonkey:
I only ask because I'm thinking of trying these and it would suck if the balls got all covered with hairs after a while.

#3 Enigma1313

Enigma1313

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:43 PM

An overall good article, if I do say so myself...and I do.

However, being familiar with the field of stealth myself, mainly from being the best hide-and-go seek player on the block in my younger days, I feel you missed a key component of stealth - Motion.

Like the T-Rex in Jurassic Park, humans see motion far, far easier than they do a still target. Why is this useful? If you're moving across open ground and your opponent's scanning, if you freeze before their vision passes over you, and stay still long enough, you will go undetected. Granted, this doesnt work well in the daytime, or if they are specifically looking for you, or if you're somewhat close, but it does come in handy, particularly in night wars, or where you won't be skylined.

Just thought I'd throw that in there.
"Excellence over Compassion. Hatred over Foregiveness. Dedication before Forfeit. So is the way of the Enigma."
-Excerpt from the Preamble of the Enigma Code.

#4 Grenado

Grenado

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:58 PM

Very interesting article. Should help some of our newbish members. I will be rereading this for some time to come, as I suck at stealth.

#5 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:59 PM

It's all about remaining unseen.

It would probably help not to carry pockets full of change, or try to anything else obscenely loud while you stalk your prey, either. Good atricle, though.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 07 March 2007 - 06:59 PM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#6 Grenado

Grenado

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:27 PM

It would probably help not to carry pockets full of change, or try to anything else obscenely loud while you stalk your prey, either. Good atricle, though.

Who nerfs with a ton of coins in their pockets? Use a wallet kiddies. Or give your money to me.

#7 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:42 PM

Yes, keeping in motion is very important, and as for T-Rex's, they lived in North America, where it rained like shit. They can see non-moving things fine. Lord Roxton, the guy who said they can only see moving objects, doesn't know enough about anatomy to have sex with his wife. But anyways, great job Nerfmonkey, I feel evasiveness can be more effective that having lots of firepower and a high RoF. Ask any soldier, stealth is worth more than big guns and being able to blow the shit outta stuff.

Edited by Prometheus, 07 March 2007 - 07:46 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#8 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:50 PM

Who nerfs with a ton of coins in their pockets? Use a wallet kiddies. Or give your money to me.

That's not the point. "Walk softly and carry a big stick." - Theodore Roosevelt
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

#9 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:59 PM

But anyways, great job Nerfmonkey, I feel evasiveness can be more effective that having lots of firepower and a high RoF. Ask any soldier, stealth is worth more than big guns and being able to blow the shit outta stuff.

I know it seems like I'm contradicting myself here, but I technically never mentioned what gun I use in the article, so...

I use either a Powerclip or Big Blast when I Nerf. Both guns that can "blow the shit outta stuff." I purposely left out the weapons to leave it up to the reader to use what they're most comfortable with. I agree that skill and tactics are more important than a big gun, but whoever's the kid with the Theodore Roosevelt quote is right: a combo of skill, tactics AND a big gun is better than any of those alone.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 07 March 2007 - 08:00 PM.

SexD Warves

#10 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:50 PM

I agree that skill and tactics are more important than a big gun, but whoever's the kid with the Theodore Roosevelt quote is right: a combo of skill, tactics AND a big gun is better than any of those alone.

That's why I put it in. Even though stealthiness and firepower are two decisive factors in a war, it is often overlooked by many (noobs, mostly) that they can be used in conjuntion. The effective way to do this is to have powerful guns with decent range and a respectable rate of fire (I.e.: Longshot) that you can use to pick people off, defend yourself, and make shots from multiple angles. This gives you a multi-role capability with the element of surprise, but doesn't force you to give up anything that you can't improvise or take back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users