One of mine broke, so I dissected it.

3 replies to this topic

#1 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:56 PM

There was a thread from November of last year that briefly talked about the N.S.E.C.T. from Tyco RC. I know that General Cole was interested in the turret assembly for his NerfBot. Rahter than ressurrect an old thread, I decided to make a new one instead.

I bought two of these last year off of ebay. A few of the people at HCNO got to see one of them (Muffin) in action for a few minutes while we waited for everyone else to show up. The other one (Boopsie) was sitting at home. The turret fires at an angle and launches darts about 20-25 feet, but while Muffin was doing just that, Boopsie wasn't working really at all. The darts would fly about 3 feet. I fianlly got the chance to call Tyco this week to get it repaired. All they want me to do is send back the transmitter, the top plate of the bug, and the coiled red wire antenna under the top plate back, and they will send me a new bug. This gives me the opportunity to finally rip one of these apart to see what it is like on the inside. Click on a picture if you want to see it larger.

Posted Image

This is Boopsie before I tore her apart.

Posted Image

This is what she look like once the top plate is removed. The plate include the wings tha hide the turret.

Posted Image

This is a full view of the receiver circuit board.

Posted Image

This is the main wiring cluster for the bug. There is one motor for each set of three legs. At this point, I don't really know what wire leads to where, so I have left them uncut. There is a quick disconnect that allows you to detach the underside shell from the body and the turret from the body. Otherwise, it is all soldered on.

Posted Image

This is the underside shell. The motor above is for the pincers. It is a very weak motor as the pincers can't really grab anything.

Now for the part that most of you are more curious about, the turret assembly!

Posted Image

This is it removed from the bug's topside.

Posted Image

Now for a front picture of the turret assembled. The air restrictors in this thing are pretty harsh considering the darts don't go that far, but the plunger is loud when you fire it.

Posted Image

This is the air restrictor assembly. It was pretty easy to remove, just three screws, but you then have to cut off the posts themselves as the rest of the assembly is still needed to hold the rotation assembly in place.

Posted Image

Turret Rotation Assembly

Posted Image

This was the tricky part. The spring that is attached to the plunger tube wanted to launch itself across the house, so I had to hold it in place. There is only a tiny peg barley holding the spring in the frame. The plunger has about a 1" back motion before friing.

That is about it. If there is anything else people want to see, just post it here and I'll see what I can do. I should be getting my replacement bug in about a month, so this will humor me until then.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#2 Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse

• Banned
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:55 PM

Yeah. Did you by any chance test the range of it? Just curious to see if it was worth getting.
QUOTE(Brass @ Jul 6 2007, 10:30 PM) View Post

QUOTE(keef @ Jul 6 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post

Yeah, I'm in the same case as Substance Abuse...
Brass, ask your mother.

She said your dad owes her three dollars.

#3 themessiahpsg1

themessiahpsg1

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:56 PM

looks fun... i'm getting devious ideas about that turret... i could use it as a trap or mounting it on another gun, like a NF and using the existing power source(should it be providing sufficient power) to turn it into like an Electric-Maverick deal.
OIC of 34th Light Combat Battalion, Talk to me about enlistment.

#4 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:22 PM

Yeah. Did you by any chance test the range of it? Just curious to see if it was worth getting.

The bugs get about 20-25 feet range at about a 35 degree angle. You can fire at different angles, but it fires best at the top angle. It is loud though. You can here it preparing to fire and there is about a 1-2 second delay before it fires. It's not good for sneaking as it also makes alot of noise just walking, but I will try it someday at a war just for the hell of it.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users