Rutgers Boffer Club- Livingston Dueling Association

15 replies to this topic

#1 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:42 PM

If you're into boffer fighting, I've just built a new site for an organization I'm in at Rutgers University.

The Livingston Dueling Association (LDA), A Boffer Fighting Group at Rutgers University

It's mostly info about our meetings right now, but there are some articles on Boffer Construction coming soon from some people in the group who can do amazing stuff with duct tape and foam.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#2 loni

loni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:24 PM

I read the article on your link, it looks...interesting. You should try to incorporate some moves and weapons into nerf, such as melee and charging your opponent.

-Loni

Edited by loni, 22 February 2007 - 08:25 PM.

"I don't nerf to see who is the best, I nerf to see who is the biggest bitch"

#3 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:50 PM

I read the article on your link, it looks...interesting. You should try to incorporate some moves and weapons into nerf, such as melee and charging your opponent.

-Loni

The point of nerf is not to bludgeon your enemy into submission, but to peg them in the ass with foam darts from a distance. Barrel taps would be the closest thing to this (besides nerf knives, but those are not widely used to my knowledge). Either way, nice article, Langley.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#4 Grenado

Grenado

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:55 PM

The only time that you should actually charge is when you're stuck with a stock RF20 and you have no hope of survival.

#5 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • State:Washington

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:06 PM

(taking this farther off topic) I beg to differ. You can rush whenever the heck you want, and most people do. Most people actually rush before all they have left is an RF20 and it's their last hope of survival.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#6 Grenado

Grenado

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:14 PM

I know, but it's usually not a good idea, tactically, to rush into a(n) enemy shooter(s).

#7 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • State:Georgia

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:45 PM

I disagree, rushing is a very effective tactic. Look at the German Blitzkreig during WWII, you hit the enemy hard and fast before they know what's coming.

There are really two ways of taking out an entrenched enemy, one is to shell the ever living hell out of them and hope they come out, or to charge in and shock the ever living hell out of them so that they have no idea what's going on.

I find the second to be more effective and more fun. Slow and cautious might keep you alive longer, but charging will kill your enemy faster.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#8 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:01 PM

Sad thing is - most of these people don't know who you are.

Kudos on the site, I like the "Old English" feel.

I don't really think "German Blitzkrieg" applies to nerf though...Sure, it worked for them, but we don't have big armies to amass to do so...

#9 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:12 AM

Boffer Fighting?

Sounds like "boffing", which has many connotations, depending on which region of the country you live in.

Good off-topic, though, Langley. This does indeed sound interesting, and sounds like some physical conditioning is in order, if you aren't going to get banged-up while you boff. Show us some of the weaponry used when you get the chance.

RAMBO, funny thing is, that I have a hard time believing that there's a debate over whether or not rushing is a viable tactic in Nerf. Hmmm.

Most of the time I AM rushing, even in fairly confined hallways and especially out on the field. I mean, it's Nerf, even the higher-powered blasters (1500s, AT2ks, my nephew's EaB) are dodgable most of the time at conflict range; even danger-close ranges it's still possible (though not probable) to dodge a shot or three.

I think some of us are confusing video-gaming and computer games with real, down and dirty Nerfing. My opinion.

"Boff" on!

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#10 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:57 AM

"Boff" on!

-Piney-

We have our own catchphrase in the LDA: 'Less talking, more hitting people with sticks.' Which I guess is kinda like when Talio says 'we gotta get drunk and shoot some teenagers', but I guess that's not as catchy.

Don't take this the wrong way, piney, but Boffing stopped being synonymous with boinking in this country shortly after bell-bottoms went out of style.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#11 Grenado

Grenado

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:46 AM

So how long are these sticks, anyway?

#12 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:58 AM

No, I agree completely that rushing is viable. Just not in the same manner of the Blitzkrieg.

#13 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:46 PM

I think some of us are confusing video-gaming and computer games with real, down and dirty Nerfing. My opinion.

-Piney-

I find that rushing is extremely effective in video games as well as Nerf...

Rushing is almost all I do in Nerf. If I'm not running while voley-firing 13 darts out of my Longshot, I'm coming at you with my favorite Maverick/DTG/Magstrike/Shotgunned Titan/Blowgun/whatever. Hell, I'll rush someone with nothing more that a barricade buster stuffed with 20 tag darts.

Rushing adds alot of fun to Nerf, and douche bag wars get very boring, very fast.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#14 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:27 AM

Some friends and I play with boffers as well. We call it aptgard, play it most likely the same way (maybe not the same exact rules) as you guys do, and we laugh at Larp. We allow sheilds, projectiles, and other stuff as well. We are working on a tribuche (small, but since we have free materials to do it, we are going to) and plan to launch foam projectiles out of it with it for when we play and to launch other small objects out of it too (can't wait for 4th of July). We are still waiting for a book to get there in the school library for us though. Fun thing to do all year around.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#15 Paloose

Paloose

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • State:Michigan

Posted 24 February 2007 - 03:44 PM

It's mostly info about our meetings right now, but there are some articles on Boffer Construction coming soon from some people in the group who can do amazing stuff with duct tape and foam.

I used to do this before I got into NERF. I took a length of 1/2" pvc and put 3/4"pipe insulation over that, and secured it with duct tape. I could make anything from a Russian Bardiche to a Scottish claymore complete with downsloping quillions.

I personally prefer the hand-and-a half. What do you use?

#16 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:48 PM

I use an aluminum SCA shield with foam attached to the edges, and a (relatively) long double edged one-handed sword with a basket hilt. I occasionally use a big claymore too.
The rules section and the list have been posted, the next thing that will be updated is the equipment section.

2016 Nerf War Schedule

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users