Photo

Semi-auto Longshot?

22 replies to this topic

#1 OmegaTofuNinja

OmegaTofuNinja

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:38 PM

Would it be feasible/possible to make the Longshot semi-auto? I was trying to figure out how it may work, but I wasn't quite sure. I figured I'd ask some of the more experienced modders around here before trying anything though.

#2 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:47 PM

Would it be feasible/possible to make the Longshot semi-auto? I was trying to figure out how it may work, but I wasn't quite sure. I figured I'd ask some of the more experienced modders around here before trying anything though.

Ah, the dream of a semi-auto nerf rifle. It is feasible, since gas-operated systems (for those of you who know how Magstrikes work, you know what I'm talking about) can be used to make semi-automatic or fully automatic guns. However, it would be difficult to do this kind of modification to a Longshot, since semi-automatic guns have relatively low power, short plunger strokes, and a magazine system that does not use a bolt to move the darts. If I figure out any systems, I'll share the ideas, but I doubt that it would be a very practical modification. (Time to charge the air tanks, extra weight, extra equipment / bulk, issues with range...)
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#3 OmegaTofuNinja

OmegaTofuNinja

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:50 PM

That's more or less exactly what I was thinking. Take some ideas from the Magstrike and implement them in the Longshot. The magazine system might still be used, but I can't see the bolt system being used. As for the time it would take to load and pump and such, it might be around the same time to prep a Magstrike. Considering you have to do basically the same things, load a clip and pump. I was planning on working on something like this over the summer, since it always gets boring when one doesn't work.

#4 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:59 PM

it always gets boring when one doesn't work.

This is why there are the gifts of video games and nerf.

Anyway, for a semi-automatic Longshot, the gun would need some radical modification. The plunger tube might need to be scrapped, unless the air bursts are to propel the plunger. The magazine system would need complete redesigning, since friction with the other darts and the open venting space in and around the magazine would negate any firings. (Unless someone knows how a bolt could be used here). The barrel would also need to be scrapped, since the excess space around the dart would only decrease the range further, and a snug barrel would most likely prevent any darts from being able to leave the gun. This is probably not an effective and definitely not a practical modification, but on the other hand, a semi-auto nerf gun would be cool to mess around with.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 18 February 2007 - 08:59 PM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

#5 OmegaTofuNinja

OmegaTofuNinja

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:18 PM

Those are some damn good points. One of the few things I can think of for this would be some sort of blowback system specifically for the bolt. It would probably be way too complicated to be feasible to do though.

#6 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:24 PM

After you put about 300+ rounds through the gun and take it apart twice, you get to know the finer points of its operation. However, if this modification could be effectively done, it could lead to some interesting results.

#7 sniper25

sniper25

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:00 PM

That would be pretty sweet. One problem How would you get the next dart to advance? I don't think a blow back is possible in a Nerf gun, and if it was it would take a lot of precision gismos, valves, and what not. But hay if you got an idea go ahead.
Mr. pink of ugns

Under
Ground
Nerf
Squad

#8 Fireshot

Fireshot

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

What if you used an air compressor to pressurize a system of hoses that would use two pressure switches and another plunger tube who's plunger moves the bolt open, then closed, and pulls the plunger back. When the trigger is pulled and the longshot's plunger hits the end of the tube, it hits a button that turns a valve in a splitter and opening a solnoid that lets air out of a tank that is constantly pressurized by a compresser and pushes the 2nd plunger tube's plunger back, which opens the breech and pushes the plunger back. Another button is pushed by the 2nd plunger tube's plunger, and after a delay long enough for a dart to be pushed into the breech, the splitter valve turns the other way and the solnoid opens again, pushing the plunger forward and pushing the breech closed. The trigger is pulled, and the process is repeated.

And THAT is why I will take over the world with only a chair leg to back me up. (I mean use the bolt and longshot's plunger tube in a semi automatic system)

Edited by ‡Fireshot‡, 18 February 2007 - 10:18 PM.

#9 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:23 PM

No.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#10 Commonly Hunted

Commonly Hunted

• Banned
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:25 PM

I was just gonna say that. Only I was going to make it real big and red.

Just forget about it. It's just too much work and it will only become a magstrike. Just find a way to put the Magstrike's internals in there.

Edited by Commonly Hunted, 18 February 2007 - 10:31 PM.

QUOTE(Pineapple)

Next one who wants to be Michael Jackson, and save the world, gets a trip to Neverland.

Buy Boltsniper's guns!
Borrowed by FoamReaper of Boltsniper Forums.

#11 Fireshot

Fireshot

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:27 PM

Why wouldn't it work?

#12 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:35 PM

The longshot has too complex of a mechanism to be receptive to semi-automatic fire. The parts traverse too far for any simple motorization to be used.
In order to obtain a semi-automatic configuration in a Nerf weapon it has to be in a much simpler weapon, and it has to be a tank weapon rather than a springer.

I have a simple plan formulating in my head for a semi-auto weapon, but it involves a directional control valve in one of the few guns that has a trigger actuated turret (like a Maverick, DT Blaster, or Firefly).
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#13 OmegaTofuNinja

OmegaTofuNinja

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:47 AM

Hmm, makes sense. Oh well, just an idea I guess. Back to the drawing board I guess.

#14 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:36 AM

I think if someone has the money and is willing to spend it, they could modify their LS to get outrageous ranges to make it worth putting a pneumatic acuator (sp?) and making it an implacement gun in a game.

Really you would just need to put as many springs in the gun as you can fit to make it get around 200 feet. Only catch I see to this is the parts wearing out where, if you are skilled and have the patients and money for it, could machine the parts and convert the internals of the gun to metal parts and reinforcements to the gun.

To be actually practical in its weight and the fact that it would have to implaced, you would need a serious magazine modification to make it hold oh say at least 50 rounds. I can see a drup magazine being made with a long spring in it to push the darts.

And with the pneumatic actuator (again, sp?) on the bolt and rigged to go off on the trigger pull, you would need an air source which no magstrike bladder could provide. You would need at least a 2 pound airtank.

Again, plausible, but not practical. But it would still be cool for all those mil-sim a-holes that use golf carts and whatnot as a tank.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#15 tensor

tensor

• Banned
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 04:58 PM

captain slug if u can make a maverick semi automatic y not do it? it would b pointless to do it on a longshot cuz longshots r 4 losing. a semi automatic weapon is 4 closequarters so the range of the maverick doesnt really matter. a semi auto maverick would b perfect 4 closequarters cuz it has a clip, its semi auto and is really small

#16 Matt31

Matt31

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:16 PM

I'd forget the magstrike and just use some electric motor type set-up to automatically cock the LS after you pulled the trigger, then you would have more or less a semi-auto LS.
"Yet another nominee for the douche bag of the year award." -FA24

"Who the hell died and made everyone the Nerf prophet?" -Piney

#17 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:24 PM

I'd forget the whole idea and get out and NERF.

Captain Slug is one of the most qualified to formulate an opinion on this, and if you read the thread carefully, he not only said no, but he explained why it wouldn't be feasible.

captain slug if u can make a maverick semi automatic y not do it? it would b pointless to do it on a longshot cuz longshots r 4 losing. a semi automatic weapon is 4 closequarters so the range of the maverick doesnt really matter. a semi auto maverick would b perfect 4 closequarters cuz it has a clip, its semi auto and is really small

Tensor, this is your only warning.

Old post revived. Three months is pretty long in this context. If there were something USEFUL added, it may have been slid through, but it wasn't.

Try really hard to use the SHIFT keys. We don't particularly like people typing like 7 year olds here.

So are the abbreviated words, "why", "you", "are", "for", "be". Go to AIM for those. We are that picky.

Lastly, Captain Slug replied about 5 posts above yours, and even provided an explanation of why it wouldn't work. Your post isn't directly connected to the flow of conversation here (talking about a Maverick in a Longshot semi-auto thread), and there already are semi-auto Nerf blasters out there (Hornet, Mad Hornet, Blastfire), and full-auto blasters (Powerclip, Magstrike) that fit the description of CQB weapon you are thinking of. If you think a Powerclip or a Magstrike is too big, you need to grow some.

Sorry to start out your NerfHaven posting on a bad note, but this isn't the premier Nerf site and forum for nothing.

Work on being a part of this forum, or go to one of the other forums that allow online daydreaming. Most of us here make things happen, not just talk about what might happen.

That goes for all new members here. Have a nice day.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#18 themessiahpsg1

themessiahpsg1

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:32 PM

a storm LS2 internals would seem to be the most compatable, with a stationary clip and all, but that's just me.
OIC of 34th Light Combat Battalion, Talk to me about enlistment.

#19 themessiahpsg1

themessiahpsg1

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:32 PM

(ignore this)

Edited by themessiahpsg1, 18 June 2007 - 07:32 PM.

OIC of 34th Light Combat Battalion, Talk to me about enlistment.

#20 magnesium22

magnesium22

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:25 PM

What you could do is use a M4/M16 or AK47 design.
Just get a 100 percent seal and make a PVC barrel with a "T" joint at the end, redirect the air back towards the bolt system, and put a "pull spring" to push the bolt back forwards.
Edit: sorry, you also have to make a way to release the air at the end of the backstroke.

Edited by magnesium22, 19 February 2010 - 07:27 PM.

Nerfing in NC? PM me!

#21 ezra 271

ezra 271

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:31 PM

Sgt.Mik kind of did this in a automatic way but I guess he had some problems. Heres the link
Primary- Crossbow Level 2
Backup Primary-Longshot
Secondary-Teksix
Backup Secondary-Singled Recon

#22 magnesium22

magnesium22

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

ezra271:

Actually, he didnt, in the video, he said he replicated the magstrike design.
so.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................NO!!!!!!
Nerfing in NC? PM me!

#23 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:18 PM

What you could do is use a M4/M16 or AK47 design.
Just get a 100 percent seal and make a PVC barrel with a "T" joint at the end, redirect the air back towards the bolt system, and put a "pull spring" to push the bolt back forwards.
Edit: sorry, you also have to make a way to release the air at the end of the backstroke.

3 months suspension for necro-posting.

Sgt.Mik kind of did this in a automatic way but I guess he had some problems. Heres the link

1 month suspension for replying to a necro-post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users