Photo

Accuracy And Lasers

23 replies to this topic

#1 NiteWalker

NiteWalker

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:22 PM

OK, so recently I just re-vamped my Titan(might post pics later) and quickly hot glue a laser to it. Most, of the time lasers I believe that laser pointers are merely there for looks and for fun, but do they work most of the time? In my case it does, my Titan is now able to shoot a 3/4 inch x 3/4 inch target at around 21 ft. away. I just point the laser at the object and it hits it with no problem(usually, if I don't load a crooked stefan). Also, my dart smithing ability isn't that great either. My questions are:
-What can a Nerf gun's accuracy go up to?
-Are lasers useful in most cases?
-What is the accuracy of your guns?
-What weights should I use if I want to shoot accurately long distances?

If you want pictures of my Titan you can just ask.
NEW Write-up of the DTG/At3k:
Click here
Credit to Carrtoon for the mod.

"The mother of invention is need... Who doesn't have to pelt people with foam?"

#2 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:29 PM

-What is the accuracy of your guns?
-What weights should I use if I want to shoot accurately long distances?

In most cases, lasers are not useful because they do not compensate for the fact that darts have trajectories and do not fly straight.

The weights in the darts are dependant upon the power of the gun and mass of the dart.

A gun's accuracy greatly depends upon the distance of the target, because factors such as gravity and wind can affect the outcome.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#3 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:21 PM

A larger problem is that most laser pointers fall into the Class III laser category, a type which can cause eye damage. Laser pointers really shouldn't be pointed at people, and since that's the point behind what you're talking about...

Laser Safety Fact Sheet

Edited by Carbon, 16 February 2007 - 06:22 PM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#4 PennyWise

PennyWise

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:39 AM

Lasers are useful, in all cases. The usefulness just depends on the power of your gun, for example, if you have a nitefinder that you know will propel your dart "10" feet straight and accurate before the dart starts to fall, then the laser will only be effective for that first ten feet. So in reality it's only really worth it to put it on a high power gun, like you did, because, with the right barrel, a singled titan should be able to hit its mark accurately at around 60+ feet and a laser would make aiming a hell of a lot easier.

#5 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:47 AM

Also, another problem with lazers is that outside when it's sunny out, they are practically impossible to see.

#6 Grenado

Grenado

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:08 AM

Can we have pics? I would like to see where you put the laser pointer, and how you attached it there.

#7 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:52 PM

Can we have pics? I would like to see where you put the laser pointer, and how you attached it there.

Yeah I want to see pictures. I tried e-taping a laser pointer onto my modded Titan and the accuracy is WAY OFF.. I am using dart tag darts shooting out of PETG though...

#8 NiteWalker

NiteWalker

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:59 PM

Now here is the curious thing... I only aligned it with the barrel and glued it with hotglue. I might've angled it slightly upwards to compensate for its position, but Im not sure. Anyway, here is my re-vamped Titan:
Posted Image
Click here

#9 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:11 PM

I would like to point out to anyone who is using lasers that placing the laser beneath the barrel and not angling it upwards is the most accurate way to use a laser sight, since the lower position of the laser will help compensate for some of the fall of the dart during flight. I still don't recommend lasers, though.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

#10 Avatar of WoeBrian

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • State:California

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:02 PM

My friend whom I airsoft with, took his green laser pointer (powerful...) and stuck it on top of his firefly and angled it down a bit. Now, his objective with the laser pointer was not to make it dead on accurate, but as a guide. Since my friends and I nerf inside my house and after hours, we tend to make my house as dark as possible using a few flashlights and such, turning on a few lights to flush out the hiding people, it is hard to tell where you're pointing a gun in the dark. So my friend sticks his laser pointer to get an idea of where he is pointing his gun and then makes a guestimate of where someone would be and how much he has to angle his gun. It is pretty useful as he's gotten quite a few people out with the help of it, it's just the fact that it's a green laser and very powerful so... he tries not to aim at our faces.

#11 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:24 PM

My questions are:

Nerf, and those questions will become abundantly clear to you.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#12 Shadow 92

Shadow 92

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:00 PM

Here's a quote from the safety guide:

Do not place your hand or any other body part into the class IV laser beam. The pain and smell of burned flesh will let you know if this happens.

I wouldn't use a laser pointer when Nerfing. It's too easy to just accidentally shine it in someone's eye.

#13 Grenado

Grenado

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:53 PM

Well, some people (like me) think that lasers are just fun to use. Shadow, you made a good point, however, if everyone is smart and follows the rule of eye protection, we can avoid those icky situations.

#14 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:00 PM

Shadow, you made a good point, however, if everyone is smart and follows the rule of eye protection, we can avoid those icky situations.

You can try to avoid those situations, but accidents do happen. We would rather not see or hear about one of those accidents, which is why we discourage the use of lasers.

#15 Grenado

Grenado

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:11 PM

Everybody I know uses very good eye protection, shop goggles, ski goggles, sunglasses, that kind of think, which is why it is OK with us to use lasers.

#16 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:16 PM

Everybody I know uses very good eye protection, shop goggles, ski goggles, sunglasses, that kind of think, which is why it is OK with us to use lasers.

Perhaps you didn't realize, but those types of eye protection won't reflect or absorb laser light.

#17 Grenado

Grenado

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:30 PM

That I did not. Thank you for that information. We also sometimes use flashlites taped to our guns at night or in a darkened room.

#18 NiteWalker

NiteWalker

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:01 PM

You know... I don't really use lasers in war, just for target shooting. I find that practicing with a laser helps me know where my gun is pointing in a real game. It's also fun to bull's-eye targets from far away, something I do with my Titan. Oh and about the laser that burns flesh etc. those aren't things you'd normally find. The most powerful one available(comercially) can light matchs, shred through paper things like that. Anyway, I'd also like to know how you guys attach your barrels straightly. I usually just align a ruler or something straight or I just estimate.
Click here

#19 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:08 PM

For target practice, lasers are fine, since there is a low risk for any possible eye damage (unless you're shooting at a mirror or a sibling). However, I prefer to practice without a laser because it forces you to take into account the distance and fall of the dart, and therefore learn the capacities of your weapons. Plus, accurate shots need to be able to be placed effectively without aid, at least in my understanding of practice.

#20 Grenado

Grenado

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:12 PM

What's wrong with shooting at siblings? I do it all the time, and at my dog, too (but only with stock guns).

#21 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:27 PM

...and at my dog, too (but only with stock guns).

Tool.

Edited by Evil, 19 February 2007 - 01:28 PM.

2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#22 Grenado

Grenado

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:30 PM

What's wrong with that? She ate 2 of my PS2 games.

#23 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:25 PM

What's wrong with shooting at siblings?

Nothing. I do it too. Just don't point the laser in his/her eyes.

#24 Grenado

Grenado

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:42 PM

I know this quite well, as a matter of fact I am blind in one eye due in part to that, also in part to an infection in the stigma of my eye.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users