Nitefinder Rifle

This thing's insane!

36 replies to this topic

#1 KBarker

KBarker

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:55 AM

I just finished my prototype of a NF rifle. I call it a rifle since it has the barrel length and plunger size of a large rifle, even though it has a small pistol body. Here it is:

Posted Image

As you can see, the plunger tube has been replaced with a PETG tube that is twice as long as the stock one. Two NF plungers have been cut up and spliced together to make a very long rod. The regular spring has been replaced by a gigantic spring from McMaster, the same wire thickness as you would normally mod a NF with, but twice as long. This gives the plunger enough air capacity to operate with an 8" barrel. Here it is cocked:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The barrels are coupled, so I can easily change the barrel length or type. I also made a 3-barrel shotgun attachment, it functions quite well.

Posted Image

This is just a test model to make sure all the parts can take the force. I forgot to add padding to the plunger head, so it will probably explode soon. That's OK cause I've been planning on making a plunger rod and head from scratch anyway. Once I accomplish this I'll be able to turn any NF into one of these beasts, the only parts I need from the gun is the body and trigger mechanism. The next version will look as good as it works. I really want to add a foregrip, since it is really too powerful to hold like a pistol. Here are more pics for the hell of it. Check out the video here:

NiteFinder Rifle Video

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by KBarker, 12 February 2007 - 02:04 PM.

-KBarker

My Fighting Robots: http://www.TeamVelocityRobotics.com/

#2 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:10 AM

Wow, again, I applaud you. Very nice job. I believe only 2 or 3 other people have posted tri-barreled NFs. Any chance of a writeup?

#3 funkyjake

funkyjake

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:10 AM

Wow. I think everyone that's looked at a plunger gun may have considered doing this, but you're the first I've seen to pull it off (or at least do it so well). Pretty awesome.

#4 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:07 AM

Wow that thing is a beast.
I just watched the video and the last tri-barrel sounded like a dry fire.
A write up would be great.
I wonder how this is going to turn out.
Good work!
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#5 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:42 AM

I just watched the video and the last tri-barrel sounded like a dry fire.

You can clearly see the three darts, it isn't.
SexD Warves

#6 mini

mini

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:57 PM

Amazing simply amazing! probably one of the coolest nightfinder mods iv ever seen. I love the fact that it has recoil thats just funny to see in a Nerf gun.

#7 monkey with a nf

monkey with a nf

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:04 PM

Very cool. What is the part number of the spring you used? I've been trying to find a good replacement spring for my guns.
QUOTE(Pineapple @ Sep 12 2007, 03:13 PM) View Post

For maximum efficiency?

1. Pump up. Count how many pumps.

2. Keep going until you hear a loud "bang".

3. Subtract one pump from the total. Rebuild your air bladder.

There you go.

#8 PvtMcFlurry

PvtMcFlurry

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:11 PM

I only have one question. What are the ranges?
QUOTE(Cannonball @ Oct 26 2007, 11:47 PM) View Post

I'm anxiously awaiting the hasbro over throw.

One Man Clan, or One Man Company?

Crossbow Mod.

#9 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:51 PM

I'm with everyone else on this. Very nice job.
But, if you forgot to add foam to the plunger head, why don't you just open it up and add foam to it?

I'm also curious about the ranges.

#10 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:04 PM

I had this exact Idea but never made it. Yours is amazing. It may inspire me to make my own. Is that the stock plunger head? Does anyone know what type of PVC I could use for this?

#11 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:18 PM

Holy monkey butt orgasm batman, that Nightfinders a friggin' beast!

Yeah, I just sprayed some pop everywhere when I saw this, now I have 2 messes to clean up.

Edited by LastManAlive, 12 February 2007 - 07:20 PM.

He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#12 Lance

Lance

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:33 PM

Kbarker your the best thing to happen to NerfHaven since ForsakenAngel

#13 Grenado

Grenado

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:55 PM

That thing gaveme a case of the boners. It looks like it has a prebuilt speedloader in it so you can quickly switch barrels.

#14 NiteWalker

NiteWalker

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:58 PM

Yeah, that is very nice. It also sounds like it increases the power of the nf substantially. The only thing I don't like about your mods is that I can't make them because I can't get some of those materials. Anyway, incredible NF! It would be cool if you made a way to increase the RoF.
NEW Write-up of the DTG/At3k:
Click here
Credit to Carrtoon for the mod.

"The mother of invention is need... Who doesn't have to pelt people with foam?"

#15 KBarker

KBarker

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:08 PM

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Unfortunately the gun broke after only about 20 shots, but not where I expected it to. The huge amount of hot glue I used to secure the plunger tube to the body gave way. I think I'll need to use the screws somehow. Answer time:

Forsaken_angel24- There were darts in the barrels but you do have a point. It really does sound like a dry fire, I'm not sure why. Perhaps the barrels are too short.

monkey_with_a_nf- Mcmaster part number 9637K26. Unfortunately you have to buy 5 of them and they need to be cut to length, since they come 11" long.

Pvt.McFlurry- Ranges I'm not sure on, since my house isn't big enough. From the video audio however, I can estimate the velocity of the dart at 100-150 FPS.

Retiate- I couldn't get the plunger out since the tube was glued in. Now that it is all disassembled anyway I'll add some foam to it.

z80- Yes it is the stock plunger head, with two stock O-rings on it. The PETG I'm using is slightly smaller than the stock plunger tube, so it creates a very good seal. I can actually stop the plunger by sealing the end, impressive considering how powerful the spring is. PVC or metal tube would probably work great for the plunger tube, I used PETG since it is lightweight. And being clear so you can see the spring is just badass.
-KBarker

#16 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:08 PM

To secure the plunger to the gun body more securely you will need to use IPS Weld-on #3 or #4, or possibly even a gel epoxy sealant of some kind.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#17 nube

nube

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:32 PM

WOW, you just started modding and yet you have some of the most creative and cleanest mods I've seen in a long time. Congratulations.
QUOTE(One Man Clan @ Mar 6 2007, 04:59 AM) View Post

I really should reevaluate my Nerf carreer. I have been ultimated multiple times in a war, shot by a girl with an arced NF, and EMBARASSED by a 6 year old in quidditch on xbox. What am I doing with my life?

#18 Yakuza

Yakuza

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:03 PM

Words cannot describe how i feel about this gun.

I really like the shotty attachment you made up, though. In indoor wars, those could be lifesavers,especially
on your gun.

-Yakuza :P

Edited by Yakuza, 13 February 2007 - 07:33 PM.

QUOTE(Pineapple @ Oct 21 2006, 12:16 PM) View Post

When you really think about it, this forum is still pretty darn tootin' good. It's like any family; we have a mix of brains, 'tards, jocks, geeks, hos, burners, waistoids, dickheads.

-Piney-

#19 deathwolf

deathwolf

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:44 PM

That thing's pretty frickin' sweet. How did you splice the two plunger rods together?
BROOD XIII

#20 KBarker

KBarker

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:18 AM

The beast is back together and firing again. I epoxied a piece of polycarb to the side of the plunger tube with a hole in it for the rear screw hole. I then used up the last of my epoxy to glue the thing in. I think it will hold. While I had the gun apart I also added some craft foam to the plunger head and put a screw into the joint at the front of the PETG tube that holds the PVC on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

That thing's pretty frickin' sweet. How did you splice the two plunger rods together?

This was rather tricky. First I just cut the front off one plunger and the back off of another. I joined these by supergluing in small strips of carbon fiber that fit the slots in the rod. Then I cut 4 tiny slots in the whole mess and pressed some small nails in the slots. Then I dremelled and sanded everything smooth. I realized after I'd done this that the front needed to be extended so the longer spring had room to compress, so I added in a piece of polycarb. It is held in with epoxy and more of those small nails.
-KBarker

#21 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:46 AM

Once again this thing looks amazing.

The only thing that worries me is that wave of the spring. It looks as if it presses up against the plunger tubes wall. It looks as if it will be scraping the petg alot over time.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#22 1313

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:30 PM

I did this last summer, it didnt turn out so nice. I used to plungers and connected them with 1" pvc, but I could never get it smooth enough to transition from one to the other without the o-ring getting caught so I scrapped the idea. This is cool.... get ranges soon.

#23 Ronster

Ronster

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:34 PM

Did you have to add a substantial amount of grinding to get that Petg to fit?

Other than that, IT'S AM4ZING, DUD3! (at least, enough to substitute numbers for letters) :D
-I Nerf, there for I am.

QUOTE(baghead @ Oct 25 2006, 09:55 AM) View Post
Ronster reminded me that I should have warned you all Prepare your Bladder for Imminent Release!!!!

#24 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:29 PM

I have to give you props for that. The gun is so versitile to mod, and that's one of the sweetest things I've seen yet. Makes me wish I had more time to be at home in front of the workbench.

My only question for you is where did you get your spring? It seems like the perfect thing for that sort of mod.
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#25 KBarker

KBarker

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:48 PM

Did you have to add a substantial amount of grinding to get that Petg to fit?

If you mean grinding the NF body, yes I had to enlarge the hole at the front, it wasn't difficult at all. The PETG is just cut to length and deburred.

My only question for you is where did you get your spring? It seems like the perfect thing for that sort of mod.

I got the spring from McMaster, part #9637K26. Yes, they only come in packs of 5, and you have to cut it to length. However that spring size looks like it will be usable in lots of other guns. It's roughly the same wire size and overall diameter that everyone uses in their NFs, it's just longer.
-KBarker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users