Titan Missiles

An Idea for homemades.

13 replies to this topic

#1 Redbeard

Redbeard

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:26 PM

Okay so today I bought a titan from a local thrift store for $0.25 (man, i love that place). Anyways, like always there was no dart or missile for it. I know I could mod the barrel,( which I may) but i got the idea, what about foam pool noodles. Walmart sells them for a dollar and they already have a hole down the center. I don't know if it would work, but maybe after a little work the center could be made larger by cutting it out and then chopping the noodle to size and putting duct tape on the end of the noodle. Does this sound like it could work?

#2 PvtMcFlurry

PvtMcFlurry

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:31 PM

First off I'd like to say welcome to the Haven. Second, thats a pretty legitimate (sp) idea. I'm sure with a little time and effort it will work. The only thing you are forgeting is a weight. The noodle may weigh a lot less than a titan missle. If you try to shoot the pool noodle it will probably go 10 feet and spiral out of control without a weight. It seems like it should work though.

~McFlurry

P.S. You're one lucky kid for getting a titan for $0.25 modified to shoot darts they shoot up to about 200'.

Edited by Pvt.McFlurry, 30 January 2007 - 03:31 PM.

QUOTE(Cannonball @ Oct 26 2007, 11:47 PM) View Post

I'm anxiously awaiting the hasbro over throw.

One Man Clan, or One Man Company?

Crossbow Mod.

#3 Redbeard

Redbeard

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I have considered the weight issue and just forgot to mention something about that. One thing that could be done with the weight is to add a small foam football on to the front. Cut it in half and glue or tape it on the front. Just an idea.

By the way I tried modding it for shooting megas and didn't get the range i expected. The dart just went about 75' before spiraling wildly and hitting the ground. The barrel only a temp fix though I am sure no air leaked out of the barrel. I think the barrel is just way too short (4").

#4 Garrett76z

Garrett76z

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:48 PM

Good ideas. How will you do the fins?

#5 Gengar003

Gengar003

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:48 PM

Yes, 4" is way too short for a titan. I have a 2' barrel, with about 18" effective barrel length, and it's still "too short," in that there's still considerable air pressure behind the dart when it exits.
I bought Kohls.com's last two AirTech 2000s.

#6 Redbeard

Redbeard

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:52 PM

Good ideas. How will you do the fins?

I don't plan to. I hope it won't be needed. Fins are finicky and brake off too easily to worry about. But who knows, maybe I'll change my mind in the future.

#7 PvtMcFlurry

PvtMcFlurry

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:14 PM

Isn't the point of the fins to stabilize the missile in flight? What is keeping your pool noodle from spiral out of control when fired?

Crossbow Mod.

#8 KBarker

KBarker

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:41 PM

Isn't the point of the fins to stabilize the missile in flight? What is keeping your pool noodle from spiral out of control when fired?

Simply the weight in the front, just like a regular dart. The fins help, but they may not be necessary.
-KBarker

My Fighting Robots: http://www.TeamVelocityRobotics.com/

#9 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:39 PM

Pool noodle darts have been around for a while. The ones I remember offhand were Baghead's, who used Plasti-Dip to seal the end and increase weight. Do a search for "pool noodle" (use the quotes).

Edited by Carbon, 30 January 2007 - 06:39 PM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#10 Redbeard

Redbeard

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:00 PM

Pool noodle darts have been around for a while. The ones I remember offhand were Baghead's, who used Plasti-Dip to seal the end and increase weight. Do a search for "pool noodle" (use the quotes).

carbon, you are right. Wow, I thought I checked for this but couldn't find anything. Just when I thought I was being original.

#11 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:57 PM

carbon, you are right. Wow, I thought I checked for this but couldn't find anything. Just when I thought I was being original.

Don't be a douche, he's trying to help you.
SexD Warves

#12 PvtMcFlurry

PvtMcFlurry

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:36 PM

He wasn't saying anything against carbon. I think you need to relax a little NerfMonkey.

Crossbow Mod.

#13 Redbeard

Redbeard

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:12 PM

seriously, Monkey, I was only saying that what I thought was coming with something new. I don't know how that came across as being a "douche". But hey I'm new, so I guess that is enough to piss off some people.

#14 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:15 PM

But hey I'm new, so I guess that is enough to piss off some people.

You don't even want to go there with some people.

About the topic:
The idea has potential, and if you execute it in a manner that will give you the best results (I.e. testing various weight and length combinations), then this is completely practical, given the cheap price of the pool noodles and the number of rockets that you can make from one noodle alone.

P.S.: Don't beat yourself up about not being as original as you wanted. If you started without knowing of anything similar, than it's still just as original in the most important sense of the word, since you didn't know that you weren't the first to do this and were intentionally trying to steal the idea.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users