Photo

Petg Barrel Magstrike

21 replies to this topic

#1 KBarker

KBarker

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 05:00 PM

I modified one of my Magstrike's clips with 3" long PETG barrels. I didn't take any pictures during the process, but when I do the other clip I will do a full write-up. Probably be a week or so since I ran out of PETG. The barrels alone seem to add 10-15 feet in range, you can see that in the video. The only other mods to this gun is plugging the hole in the front white piece and giving the bladder more room to expand.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A comparison to the stock clip. As you can see I also cut off those extra tabs in the front, I didn't see any use for them.

Posted Image

The barrels are much longer than stock, which I believe helps the power and the accuracy. However there is no room for a stock dart head, these fire stefans only.

The video:Magstrike Vid
That red wall in the background is 45 feet away, measured with a measuring tape. I was careful to use exactly the same number of pumps for both clips and drained the tank and refilled it in between. I even used the exact same 10 darts in both tests.
-KBarker

My Fighting Robots: http://www.TeamVelocityRobotics.com/

#2 Ronster

Ronster

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 05:47 PM

Very nice!
I like the way it looks without all that extra crap in front. Except for the fact that I would have left the top tabs on cause I use it to help me pull the mag out.

Still, very nice.
-I Nerf, there for I am.

QUOTE(baghead @ Oct 25 2006, 09:55 AM) View Post
Ronster reminded me that I should have warned you all Prepare your Bladder for Imminent Release!!!!

#3 Grenado

Grenado

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:09 PM

The only problem I can see right now is with the video. I can't see where the heck the darts went.

#4 KBarker

KBarker

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:19 PM

The only problem I can see right now is with the video. I can't see where the heck the darts went.

Sorry, the darts are pretty small. You can tell the difference just by the sound though, the stock clip's darts are silent when they hit since they landed on the carpet.

"I like the way it looks without all that extra crap in front. Except for the fact that I would have left the top tabs on cause I use it to help me pull the mag out."

I usually pull the clip out by the belt clip, so this isn't a problem for me.

Edited by KBarker, 27 January 2007 - 06:20 PM.

-KBarker

#5 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:40 PM

Nice work, as with the NF. Accuracy in a submachine gun, nice mix.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#6 aribiter

aribiter

• Banned
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:37 PM

Sweet dude if you did the fa24 mod with that you would have a beast.
nerf or nothing

#7 The Inventor Guy

The Inventor Guy

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:49 AM

That's very cool.
I was thinking of doing something alot like that myself, except I don't have a MagStrike yet. <_<
Was that PETG purchased from OMC? *hoping that's the guy who's selling it*

-Tidge.

Also active on NerfHQ as Tidge.

#8 Shadow 92

Shadow 92

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:31 AM

Was that PETG purchased from OMC?

Yeah what is the ID and OD of the PETG that you're using? And did you have to sand the inside of the clip at all the make room for the PETG? Anyways nice job it looks clean and effective.

#9 KBarker

KBarker

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:17 PM

Was that PETG purchased from OMC?

Yeah what is the ID and OD of the PETG that you're using? And did you have to sand the inside of the clip at all the make room for the PETG? Anyways nice job it looks clean and effective.

Yes, this is OMC's PETG. The OD is just over 9/16", so I drilled through the old barrels with a 9/16" bit. This was too tight, no matter how much I filed, sanded, etc. I smashed 3 barrels trying to press them in. So I drilled it with a 5/8"bit, but not quite all the way through. This left a 1/2" or so section towards the back that was tight enough to press in. I still had to ream out the 9/16" holes quite a bit till I could actually get the tube in.
-KBarker

#10 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:30 PM

That's awesome!

But I do see one problem.

Those PETG barrels will probably damage once the clip is dropped.

Atleast when I nerf with the magstrike, I drop my clips when I run out of ammo.

But maybe you take better care with them.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#11 KBarker

KBarker

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:46 AM

I got more PETG yesterday, so here is my promised write-up. The first step is obviously to pry off the back of the clip. This is glued on, to it's a bit of a pain. Just take it slow and be careful, and it will come off without trouble.

Posted Image

Once you've got this piece off, pry out the air restrictor washers. It will look like this now:

Posted Image

Now mark the clip where you want to cut those wing things off. I used a bandsaw to cut them and also the old barrels. I cut 1/8" or so out, then cleaned up the cuts on my mill. A dremel would do the job just fine.

Posted Image

Now comes the drilling. First, drill all the barrels through with a 9/16" bit. At first I though I could just press the PETG into these holes, but they are too tight. I destroyed 3 pieces of PETG trying. Instead, use a 5/8" bit to drill about 3/4 of the way down, leaving a 1/2" or so at the back that is still 9/16" diameter.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those holes are still a little too tight for the tube, so switch back to the 9/16" bit and run it through again, wiggling the clip to ream out the holes slightly larger. That takes care of the clip body, now just cut your PETG to length. I used 3" long barrels, which are the longest you can fit in the Mag's slot. If you want to be able to fire stock darts, make them a bit shorter. Now press them in one at a time, using a vise.

Posted Image

The back end should look like this:

Posted Image

All that's left is to glue the back piece back on. I used epoxy. Goop it all over the back, but be careful not to get too much into the tubing. Once I put the back on, I set it up on a couple blocks and piled some steel on it while it dried.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's it! The new clip should fire about 10 feet further now.
-KBarker

#12 bigbob

bigbob

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:14 AM

Now you need to cut off the front of the gun and switch to 5" PETG barrels.... I am actually switching to longer barrels on my powerclip on my magstrike clips now that mine are universal.

#13 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:24 AM

Now you need to cut off the front of the gun and switch to 5" PETG barrels.... I am actually switching to longer barrels on my powerclip on my magstrike clips now that mine are universal.

If you cut off the front of the gun it will have to be reinforced to hold the two shell halves together. Otherwise the clip will have feeding problems. I discovered this after heavily modifying the gun to use a combined 20-round clip.
Posted Image
http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=7433

Edited by CaptainSlug, 07 February 2007 - 11:25 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#14 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:18 PM

MY GOD CS that is a freaken sweet MS.

#15 PvtMcFlurry

PvtMcFlurry

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:21 PM

Looks like an uzi. Great job Slug. One question though, where does the bladder go? And where will the pumping handle be?

EDIT: Crap thats two questions. :(

Edited by Pvt.McFlurry, 07 February 2007 - 07:23 PM.

QUOTE(Cannonball @ Oct 26 2007, 11:47 PM) View Post

I'm anxiously awaiting the hasbro over throw.

One Man Clan, or One Man Company?

Crossbow Mod.

#16 bigbob

bigbob

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:19 PM

Its seems like feeding problems would only occur with greater weight, especially in your case with 20 barrels instead of ten. I haven't tried it on my MS, but with a 10 shot clip it works fine on the PC. Is it possible the PC has stronger plastic than the MS?

#17 monkey with a nf

monkey with a nf

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:32 PM

I don't know about a PC (never had one), but there wasn't an issue. The original thread for the Magstrike 20 is here.
QUOTE(Pineapple @ Sep 12 2007, 03:13 PM) View Post

For maximum efficiency?

1. Pump up. Count how many pumps.

2. Keep going until you hear a loud "bang".

3. Subtract one pump from the total. Rebuild your air bladder.

There you go.

#18 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:36 AM

Looks like an uzi. Great job Slug. One question though, where does the bladder go? And where will the pumping handle be?

Read the thread: http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=7433

Its seems like feeding problems would only occur with greater weight, especially in your case with 20 barrels instead of ten. I haven't tried it on my MS, but with a 10 shot clip it works fine on the PC. Is it possible the PC has stronger plastic than the MS?

I haven't had any problems. There's a video link in the thread.
http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=7433
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#19 KBarker

KBarker

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:23 PM

One advantage of the PETG is that the finished clip was actually lighter than stock, so a 20-shot clip wouldn't be terribly heavy.
-KBarker

#20 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:45 PM

At first glance, I thought you had clip modded a Titan. I was about to ask why when I caught it. That looks pretty damn great though. Still haven't picked up a Magstrike for meself yet, but it looks as if they are a lot more moddable than the PC was. And that's great, cuz I'm happy with the performance of my PCs. I might just look into that.
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#21 ItalionStallion

ItalionStallion

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:46 PM

Sorry to barge on on the thread everyone but i just wanted to tell bigbob that he needs to clear his PM box. Thanks.

#22 nerfnerd88

nerfnerd88

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:19 PM

Sweet mod!!!/Users/michael/Desktop/Photos for Nerf/Same size piece Wild Mag.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users