Big Salvo Issues

8 replies to this topic

#1 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:14 PM

I have looked all over the boards for some info about modding a Big Salvo, but I wasn't able to find anything at all except for a shotgun mod, but that is not what I am going for. I want to change the barrels to PETG (the same stuff tha OMC is selling) and to get some sort of increase in range. This will be my first mod attempt with an air-pressure system gun and I just need some pointers on how to do it.

I slso need some help in fixing the pump assembly. It seems to be either leaking some air or the plunger itself is not functioning properly. The original epcs say that it should take about 10 pumps, but I need to pump it about 5 times as much to get a decent amount of pressure built. It also appears that the pump handle is loose and at times when you push it in, it doesn't feel like it is biulding any pressure.

I am new to modding in general. I was a pure collector until the LS convinced my otherwise. Now I want to try my hands at a few different things and I had an extra one of these lying around, so I figured, what the hell. Anyone out there have any ideas as to what I can do to fix the pump and modify the gun in general?
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#2 PharaonArin

PharaonArin

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:16 PM

Be sure that your bonds are air-tight. Also plug the over pressure valve but dont explode your tank.

#3 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • State:Georgia

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:37 AM

In my experience with the Big Salvo, the over-pressure release valve doesn't need to be plugged. It can hold plenty of pressure and the dangers of blowing up the bladders greatly outweighs, in my mind at least, the advantages a plugged pump gives. I'd recommend 1/2" cpvc as a barrel material because it slides easily into the stock barrels once the ARs are removed. It's a little snug on the darts for some peoples taste but I've not found it to be a huge problem at this point. I did a search when I posted my "Bigger Salvo" mod and came up similarly dry, looking back through I've found a few that might merit some examination:

Similar to what you're doing.
Another interesting mod.

Combining these two would be interesting I think. I'm interested to see where you go with this, let me know how it works for you.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#4 bigbob

bigbob

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:13 AM

I plugged the pump on mine, and it doesn't help unless you want to pump a lot. The over-pressure release valve kicks in at about 16 pumps, and I pump mine 30-40 now. I also have 12" CPVC barrels with a coupler system, and ranges top out close to 120. It is an awesome gun, my friend nailed my cousin with it from 20 ft. with 3 out of the 4 darts. He had all these little welts on his back.

#5 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:54 PM

I can't seem to find where the overpressure valve is on this gun. In fact, I have no idea what it even looks like since this will be my first time modding an airtank-equipped gun. I will be working it more tomorrow. Modding is on Sundays and occasionally during the week when I have the time.

Cmdrmack, the bull pup one is not really what I am looking into doing, but the other mod is almost what I had in mind. I will be hard-mounting the barrels as I see no need to fire the arrows anymore, plus, I will be using a different ammo type. I decided that any gun I modify will fire CDTDs. I don't feel like dealing with making stefans and a method that I saw on here for making CDTDs works much better for me and takes less time.

I can't recall who originally posted the design, but you take the tip of the dart off of a DTD, just like the original mod, but instead of hot glue, you use Liquid Nails #1, #8 size washers, and while the creator of this design uses felt pads, I use foam pads. They are so easy to make and ready to use in about an hour. I was making them at the last war and using them that day.

Anyways, I will post more progress on my mod tomorrow night when I have the time.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

#6 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts
  • State:Washington

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:59 PM

I can't seem to find where the overpressure valve is on this gun. In fact, I have no idea what it even looks like since this will be my first time modding an airtank-equipped gun. I will be working it more tomorrow. Modding is on Sundays and occasionally during the week when I have the time.

I can't recall who originally posted the design, but you take the tip of the dart off of a DTD, just like the original mod, but instead of hot glue, you use Liquid Nails #1, #8 size washers, and while the creator of this design uses felt pads, I use foam pads. They are so easy to make and ready to use in about an hour. I was making them at the last war and using them that day.

Anyways, I will post more progress on my mod tomorrow night when I have the time.

I believe the overpressure release valve is on the pump shaft. Take out the pump completely, look at the back of it, there should be an o-ring there. In the middle of the shaft should be a little hole. That's the overpressure release valve.

And that was Captain Slug's method for making the converted taggers.

#7 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:39 PM

To plug the pump on the Big Salvo you need to saw the pump tube open, then pull the pump out and fill the little hole, or holes i don't remember if there is more than one, and the end of the pump.
You should be getting over 100' mark with each barrel, even without plugging the pump, so I don't really think it is worth plugging the pump.

#8 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 06:46 PM

Here's the current progress report. I cut off all 4 of the air restrictors and tried the gun again. It was just a dry firing with no ammo since I am still waiting for the barrel material that I purchased to arrive sometime this week. Anyways, the pump sometimes feels a little too loose when you are priming the gun and when it was fired, the airflow coming out of the barrels felt quite weak. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. All of the hoses are hooked up and the end of the pump is connected to the trigger assembly like it should be.

Help!
As Carbon once said,

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

#9 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • State:Georgia

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:04 PM

The airflow on mine feels quite weak too, but the results once I put a dart in it are excellent. You're probably fine, I wouldn't worry at this point.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users