And how to get a newb in the door?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 10:59 PM

Ok, so as some of you know, I was recruiting a rookie for Gnomefest, but as the date draws closer, his pop denied him the opportunity for the mere factor that he didn't want his kid shooting anyone. Now I think that his pop thinks this is a bunch of overly militant kids playing war. Now how do you explain to someone that Nerf is not infact war, but a sport. I went to take a look at some of Spoons old articles on NO to find the site has gone to the shitter. So does anyone have any articles that would explain Nerf to a concerned parent? The future of Nerf could be on the line...ok that was dramatic, but you get the point.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#2 lech

lech

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • State:Victoria

Posted 02 September 2003 - 11:34 PM

Tell him you'll be using plastic guns, with eyewear at all times, also that Nerf is all about running around, and involves a lot of teamwork and exercise...and stuff ^_^, not just shooting people. Compare it to paintball as a lower cost and much safer alternative... :wacko:

Good luck

Lech

#3 superadaquabat

superadaquabat

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 11:40 PM

He could try having his dad come with him.
Happiness is a foam gun.

#4 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 12:02 AM

Spoon's articles, including How to Host a Nerf War, will be available on NH within two or three days. If you can't wait that long, drop me an email and I'll reply with the text of that article.

cxwq@nerfhaven.com
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#5 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts
  • Fucks Given:0
  • State:California

Posted 03 September 2003 - 04:50 PM

I convinced my parents (with the help of Cxwq) to let me fly to California for Armageddon this year. If you want some general advice, here it is:

Be honest with them, don't stretch the truth or bend it in a way that sets you up for your faulty info to come around and bite you in the arse.

Like Aquabat said, invite them to come.

Show them some pictures, movies, etc - or arrange to have them call someone else's parents that are letting their kids go. Parents are a little easier to handle when they talk to another adult about the matter.

If all else fails, physically sit down and TALK to them. I had to do this to my parents, although I know going to a local nerf war is not really the same as a 7 hour flight across the country...you get my point.

Good luck.

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#6 Dan Wask

Dan Wask

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 08:18 PM

Compare it to paintball as a lower cost and much safer alternative... :lol:

Lech

Ah, er, yeah the cost part is true but thats where the truth ends.

As an avid paintballer, I have had to go through the convincing of parents and while duing research on paintball saftey I found that more people get hurt playing golf then they do playing paintball. And when people do get hurt it is because of neglegence, improper use of the marker, or not following the rules of the field or style of play; and if you want the link then I'll try to dig it up.

I just find it slightly offensive when while building one sports popularity you have to make another sport seem less attractive to people who might be interested in it. I'm not trying to knock you down in any way, just correcting and incorrect fact.
QUOTE (Arcanis @ Apr 9 2005, 12:02 AM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

#7 lech

lech

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • State:Victoria

Posted 03 September 2003 - 08:35 PM

Heh, No probs man, It's cool.

Note: The point of my post was to convince his parents...not to diss paintball...Nerf on!

#8 Ares

Ares

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 02:17 PM

Also have your father help you mod. He'll think it's ccol that you engineer it all. My dad helped me build my home-made loser rifle, Ares. They think it's really cool.
The Greek God of War
Unseen

#9 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 07:32 PM

Seeing as how, NO is back up, spoon's article is there. http://www.nerfonlin...nningawar.shtml
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#10 Puddle of Foam

Puddle of Foam

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 10:22 AM

Hm. Well. When I asked my parents to go to a NEO Faction war, it was pretty easy, I showed them the clan site, and let my mom talk to Diablo for a few minutes on AIM. If that doesn't work, try to get your dad involved in modding, like they've already said.

On an unrelated note, my mother told today me she remembered that "Online Nerf" (NO) site as the site AOL put under an adult rating. :D
Do you have the papers...?
No, but I have a big [BLEEP] gun. That's good enough for me!
-Fallout 2

If anyone was wondering, I'm RoboNerfer from NO. And I'm U.n.c.u.T.! on NerfHQ.

#11 leftnut

leftnut

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 02:32 PM

My mom is pretty cool about it. When I got back from APOC she was like so how many people did you shoot?. Then when she saw a welt on me she said I hope who ever gave you that got 2 from you. She some times buys me the guns because she would rather have me working on nerf guns for a weekend than playing on the computer all day.
"You are obviously a megalomaniacal insecure little boy stroking your faltering ego with your own hairy palm in order to prove your suedo-alpha male status..."
-BadAssReptileFarmer to Talio

#12 Daedarus

Daedarus

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 06:21 PM

Dude, you have a cool mom. My parents think war games are a waste of money and that I should save it. I am trying to explain that airsoft will be useful because I plan on going into the Marines.
The girlfriends are for the boobies. The girls who are friends are for the... boobies.
-Howie

#13 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 06:37 PM

I do agree that airsoft is useless though.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#14 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 07:23 PM

Na, airsoft is:

1) fun
2) is very much like a real gun
3)aims the same way
4)in another 5 years mine will be legal
5)hurts alot(I would know, I got my tooth shot out by it)

See, Airsoft has only good points to it. :rolleyes:
But really, airsoft is pretty cool, but it gets boring after the first 2 weeks.
ko

#15 Wax

Wax

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 08:27 PM

I do agree that airsoft is useless though.

GAHHHHHHHHH!!!! How can you say that?!?!

Just so you know, I'm not yelling at you, but you've probably never played airsoft, or played it with any good guns (AEG, gas, etc.). It's not useless, because it's a blast to play. Compared to paintball, I personally think it's better, cause it's just more my style. Actually, it's probably more fun than Nerf. I'm not saying Nerf isn't fun, cause it definitely is. I'm just saying the airsoft is more fun, to me. Anyway, my very short rant has now come to an end.
Wax in the Nerf universe, wax4213 everywhere else.

#16 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 08:40 PM

Let me show you some permenant marks from playing airsoft. You think I never played with good guns, I suppose by most standards you could say that, but we used to play with gas guns and air rifles. It was cool for a while, but it just hurts, and costs money, and it's just pointless. Get friends together to play nerf. That's what I've been doing, I've been getting my buddies to come over and we find a place to nerf. And then we don't have to worry about stray ammo or making to much noise which I had to with airsoft, my air rifle made a wicked huge cracking noise when it went off. What can I say, I've played airsoft and paintball, and it's just too serious. I don't like war, it's bad, people get killed. PB and AS are just to realistic. I love the aspect of nerf only for a few reasons. One, it's safe, less shooting Tyler in the face or me popping a joint out of socket which seems to happen to me at every big war, no one really gets hurt, and when you get shot, if it does hurt, it's actually kind cool. Second, ingenuity. Any PB or AS player can play competitively and not really need a whole lot of inginuity. Nerf even if your just copying a mod, it still takes few brains and motor skills, sorry GD. And lastly why I play nerf, is because it's funny. I don't know if anyone has ever realized this aspect, but nerf is hallarious. I'm in my twenties and I'm playing with toy guns I've made out to be semi dangerous. As well, I'm doing it in a public park with people around, and I don't give a flying shit. Not only that, but when you get a head shot, even Tyler who I thought was going to go for my jugular, the person who took the hit is laughing in most cases. I've played multiple wars locally and abroad and I can never remember how many times my team won, or if they ever won. It's not serious, it's fun and therefore we take it serious, but not by any means is this "war". It's a bunch of nerds getting together to do something they find interesting and use as an outlet for frustration. Thats my two cents,

Talio.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users