Crossbow : Where To Buy

Noob Needs Help

26 replies to this topic

#1 nube

nube

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:03 PM

Okay, I keep hearing how great a XBow is. Problem : Can't find one. If anybody knows where to buy one, please help.

P.S. Don't say eBay, I checked, price was like $60
QUOTE(One Man Clan @ Mar 6 2007, 04:59 AM) View Post

I really should reevaluate my Nerf carreer. I have been ultimated multiple times in a war, shot by a girl with an arced NF, and EMBARASSED by a 6 year old in quidditch on xbox. What am I doing with my life?

#2 The Crackerjack Man

The Crackerjack Man

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:11 PM

People on nerfhq or here are the only other places besides ebay because of the crossbow being discontinued (spelling?)
"Wow, you realy screwed that guy over"

#3 Dart Attack

Dart Attack

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:13 PM

P.S. Don't say eBay, I checked, price was like $60

It would be rare not to find one at that price. My suggestion is that you buy a longshot for about 20 bucks cheaper, plus it has greater rof

Edited by Dart Attack, 28 December 2006 - 11:13 PM.

#4 nube

nube

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:23 PM

Ouch, but thanks Crackerjack Man.

I really should reevaluate my Nerf carreer. I have been ultimated multiple times in a war, shot by a girl with an arced NF, and EMBARASSED by a 6 year old in quidditch on xbox. What am I doing with my life?

#5 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:13 AM

Just remember to take into account that owning a Crossbow won't make you a better Nerfer. Only practice and playing again and again will make you a better Nerfer.

I'm sure the Horsemen armed with 3rd-generation NiteFinders could own most new players, even if the new players had modified X-bows.

If you really are a "nube", I'd throw down a couple Jacksons for a Longshot and a NiteFinder. You'd be on the cutting edge with everyone else, and have some change left for more darts.

Remember too that the eBay seller everyone is referring to is selling NIB (new in box) Crossbows, so you're getting a discontinued gun, brand spankin' new. Any cheaper than the $60 or so, and you're getting probably a used and abused Xbow.

Me....well, let's just say I'm "old school". As in SuperMaxx old school. Air power for my primaries.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#6 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:01 AM

You can also check any Goodwill/thrift stores in your area. I found an AT2K and Blastfire in one trip to the Goodwill. It'll be extremely cheap there too. No more than $5 probably.

#7 murakumo32

murakumo32

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:33 AM

A gun with a reputation doesn't mean that in your hands it'll make you the uber nerfer capable of taking out hundreds of nerfers single handedly (but who knows). The M1 Garand was a great gun, and it still is even to this day, but the US military has moved on to the M4 and M16 as its main combat rifles. It is the same in nerf; the Xbow is a high powered gun with incredible ranges, but the LS is technologically more advance in many ways.
Nerfing, now fortified with vitamin C!
-or-
100% Nerf, for 100% pwnage.

Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

and they're made of Foam... which makes them very Nerfy...

#8 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:35 AM

1) Why is this in the modifications category?

2) The Crossbow, or X-Bow, may not be the best weapon for your style. SirTofu modded Singy to be a near-unstoppable beast with incredible range, but that's because he likes to use the X-Bow, and he knows its capabilities. Your style may and probably will be different.

3) The X-Bow is being discontinued, so any of them that are in a good condition will require a substantial amount of money to procure.

4) Depending on where you nerf, the X-Bow may or may not be appropriate. Indoor nerfing should not be mixed with crossbows because they are liable to shatter something if you miss or misfire, and that is hurts to get shot with a crossbow at close range. (My friend decided that it would be funny to aim for my ass that day.)

5) The newer guns are out now. The LS has a clip, so it has a better reload rate, dart capacity, and rate of fire than the X-Bow. The more new guns that come out, the more outdated most* X-Bows will become as their design and use flaws are solved or dampened.

*SirTofu and a handful of other nerfers here will still retain the ability to pwn all with their crossbows, no matter what we use.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#9 l337n3rf3r

l337n3rf3r

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:49 AM

Ok I know this is digging up a somewhat old topic , But here goes. Ok if you want one buy one on ebay for 60 bucks. They are NIB. it comes with the little catalog that had the old guns. Thats proof enough that its new and never been fooled with. I bought one from the same place on Ebay and was very content with the results. They are brand new. Sorry if this post is repetative, but if you really want one your not gonne get one below 60 that is in great condition.

~l337
Wii would like to play with you.

#10 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:17 PM

It depends if you're in it for the long haul or not. If you plan to just play nerf for a few years and then outgrow it and go do something else (ie. paintball/airsoft) then I'd say no. But if you really enjoy nerf, then the money spent is well worth it. The results you can get from a properly modified crossbow are incredible. They are outranged by SM 5000's, Titans, and Big Blasts, sure, but they are incredibly accurate, fire fast, and are extremely comfortable. I'll never stop using mine.

I that that sums it up for you. Falcon posted that a bit ago.

Edited by sam, 30 December 2006 - 02:17 PM.

#11 nube

nube

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:02 PM

Pineapple, I know that practice will make me a better nerfer, but I would like to practice with long range weapons, as the gun with the best range that i have right now is a NF.

Edited by nube, 30 December 2006 - 10:02 PM.

#12 The Crackerjack Man

The Crackerjack Man

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:40 PM

This might be off topic but if you want a long range nerf rifle get a Titan and replace the barrel to make it shoot stephans.
"Wow, you realy screwed that guy over"

#13 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:53 PM

The Crossbow rerelease is slated for Dec. 11 of this year. K-Mart exclusive.

Enjoy.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#14 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:13 AM

I love it when the east coasters screw with the minds of the newbies...

At any rate, if you want a long-ranged gun that will be allowed at any war you ever go to (and has all the range you'll ever really need anyway) get an LBB or a Big Blast.

I know, I'm aware that the big blast can outrange anything out there right now. But when used reasonably (ie. not pumped over 3-5 times) it is simply a more solid-firing, not-going-to-break-on-you Blast Bazooka.
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#15 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:59 AM

Actually, if you want a long range gun, I would go with the Pump Shotgun. It is a great gun, I have one myself. You want a long range gun? This is the furthest shooting spring gun out there, with ranges just over 160' flat.

#16 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:32 PM

I wouldn't get too worried about it, the Crossbow rerelease is slated for April 2007 as a K-Mart exclusive. So says Hasbro's most recent press release.

Edited by Evil, 31 December 2006 - 01:32 PM.

2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#17 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:16 PM

The Crossbow rerelease is slated for Dec. 11 of this year. K-Mart exclusive.

I wouldn't get too worried about it, the Crossbow rerelease is slated for April 2007 as a K-Mart exclusive. So says Hasbro's most recent press release.

I ought to cite you for "cruelty to n00bs." :lol:

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#18 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:34 PM

I'm sorry. Whenever I see these topics, something just comes over me! :lol:
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#19 agentM192

agentM192

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:55 PM

Keep in mind though, the Longshot is a tad more complex than the Crossbow, as far as mods go. Don't get me wrong, I love my Longshot and my Crossbow, but the Crossbow is very easy to mod and re-assemble while the Longshot may take some more time if you're new.
They aren't weapons. Don't call them weapons. They're only weapons if you make them so.

#20 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:23 PM

When I opened my longshot for the first time, I took out my laptop, found a picture of the internal assembly, and kept it on the screen so I wouldn't screw up the re-assembly. After a while, you get so familiar with the internals that you could practically assemble them with your eyes closed. As long as you are careful and resourceful the first time, opening a longshot is no more a big deal than any other gun.

Dropping $60 on an Xbow isn't as painful as it sounds. I only say that because nerfers hardly know how good things are. Only $60 for a premier gun? In water warfare, the premier gun [CPS 2000] gets jacked up on Ebay, $250-300 during the spring. The record this year was $375, not even NIB and not counting shipping! And that's for a freakin water gun. $60 for a crossbow looks pretty damn soft in comparison.

A longshot for half the price of a crossbow is really not a bad deal. You can still get 100ft of range without expending much money or effort. 100 is plenty of range for just starting out and for long range practice. After all, there are ways to counter long range, athough the longshot is great against the rush due to the clip.

United Nerf Ops - The premier northeast US nerf club serving the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT)
NYC Nerf Ops - Nerf in New York City itself
NJ Nerf Ops - Nerf in New Jersey
CT Nerf Ops - Nerf in Connecticut

UNO also has a Discord server, DM me on Discord to join (@vincentdrake)

-----------------------------------------------
My other groups:
Nerf Thrifters - A group for posting thrifts and other second-hand finds

#21 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 12:16 PM

In water warfare, the premier gun [CPS 2000] gets jacked up on Ebay, $250-300 during the spring. The record this year was $375, not even NIB and not counting shipping!

I HAVE ONE OF THOSE! Are you serious in those prices? Its been sitting in my basement for so long now. I never use the thing, it takes way too long to pump and only lasts for a little while. That thing is going on ebay when it comes to sprng!
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#22 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:28 AM

Yes, if you sell at the height of the season [late spring/early summer] and if your auction is "good". The quality of the pictures and item description can cost or add a lot of money. You should be able to get at least $200, although closing prices in the $225-310 range are becoming a lot more common.

United Nerf Ops - The premier northeast US nerf club serving the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT)
NYC Nerf Ops - Nerf in New York City itself
NJ Nerf Ops - Nerf in New Jersey
CT Nerf Ops - Nerf in Connecticut

UNO also has a Discord server, DM me on Discord to join (@vincentdrake)

-----------------------------------------------
My other groups:
Nerf Thrifters - A group for posting thrifts and other second-hand finds

#23 Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse

• Banned
  • 487 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 02:45 AM

Cheap Ebay Crossbow
QUOTE(Brass @ Jul 6 2007, 10:30 PM) View Post

QUOTE(keef @ Jul 6 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post

Yeah, I'm in the same case as Substance Abuse...
Brass, ask your mother.

She said your dad owes her three dollars.

#24 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 02:55 AM

Cheap Ebay Crossbow

That is not cool at all. I was not bidding on this but I am sure someone else is very pissed. We don't post Ebay auctions for a reason.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#25 bigbob

bigbob

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:06 PM

Substance abuse, you obviously don't know much about eBay. eBay uses an auction system, and generally speaking, most of the bids go on in the last 6-12 hours of the auction. Although it may be cheap when you see it, it probably won't be nearly as cheap at the end of the auction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users