from scratch

46 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:26 PM

I've been wanting to get around to this since I got my first longshot several months ago but I had not even bothered to get around to working it up in CAD. I finally did so today and hopefully I can get the first one made within the next month. Unfortunately the dimensional tolerance required on this unit are very tight so without some very precise tools it may not be possible for anyone else to get these made. And unfortunately a good portion of the magazine is made out of 1/16th" clear polycarbonate or black ABS. Sheets thinner than 1/8th" can be pretty annoying to work with at times. The follower is the only solid piece. It will be block of low density polyethylene with a screw-on polycarbonate "shoe" to keep it in the slide track.
Posted ImagePosted Image
The maximum capacity of the magazine was primarily determined by the maximum travel length of the compression springs I could find. 7" should give me between 14 and 15 darts per magazine. Any capacities higher than that would require the use of extension springs, which would make the magazine absurdly long (16 inches or more).

Not sure what exact material costs are yet, but a 12 pack of the springs needed is $10.10 (so that's $1.60 in springs for each clip). Plastic costs are pretty low at around $3 per unit.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 23 December 2006 - 09:50 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#2 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:35 PM

Looks Very Promising! I can't wait to see how they turn out.

-bags

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#3 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:04 PM

These do look awesome. I hope you can make these in bulk or provide a cost for making one. Knowing that it is going to be clear is going to be awesome because you can see how many shots you got left. It would also look good in black if thats the material you go with.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#4 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:10 PM

I'm thinking I might splurge and mix both clear Polycarbonate and black ABS. Probably have the rear of the clip clear so YOU can see how many you have left but make the rest in black. Easy to do since ABS and polycarbonate respond to the same solvent adhesives, therefore you can stick em together.

I went ahead and ordered the materials. The design is based around reducing overall tooling time by keeping all of the individual cut pieces as square as possible so I can do most of the work on the tablesaw. Might have a prototype or two ready by next weekend.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 23 December 2006 - 11:10 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#5 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 12:08 AM

If you finish this project, I would love to buy one of those mags of you.

#6 The Crackerjack Man

The Crackerjack Man

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 12:11 AM

The idea looks like it would work nicely if you decide to start making these I would buy one too.
"Wow, you realy screwed that guy over"

#7 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:00 AM

Refined mag design including the holes needed to put the spare mag in the stock, an arrow on both sides to make it obvious where the front is, an optional screw-on loop to allow you to put these on belt hooks, and a pre-vis of the color/material mix I plan to use.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by CaptainSlug, 24 December 2006 - 04:34 AM.

#8 The Crackerjack Man

The Crackerjack Man

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:09 AM

You might be able to put two side by side so then you just switch one over to have another full magazine. Heres a picture of my idea Posted Image
"Wow, you realy screwed that guy over"

#9 Dangaard

Dangaard

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:52 AM

CaptainSlug you sir are a GENIUS! If you succed in your indevor I would be very interested in purchasing one of them.
Discretion is the better part of valor, thats why I carry a very big axe.

You can fool some people all of the time and everyone some of the time, but you cant fool all the people all of the time, but it sure is fun trying.

What have I got in my pocket? (tolkien)

#10 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 03:54 PM

You might be able to put two side by side so then you just switch one over to have another full magazine.

Hmmm.
Actually, that's very easy to do, but have one of them up-side-down. All I need to do is add two holes to the lower corners of the optional hoop.

Like so.
Posted Image
The benefit this being you can reload the upside-down emptied clip while the full clip is inserted in the longshot.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 24 December 2006 - 08:55 PM.

#11 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 03:58 PM

You never cease to amaze me with your designs, CaptainSlug. I would also be interested in buying one or two of these mags if you can complete enough.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#12 TheCheatIsNotDead

TheCheatIsNotDead

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 05:31 PM

Capitan Slug, you never cease to amaze. Those are awesome.

If I could somehow make my own, I totally would. Those combined with the shotgun foregrip would really give anyone using them a nice edge.

Bloody brilliant Slug. Bloody BRILLIANT.

~TCIND
It is impossible to govern a country with 120 different types of cheese.

#13 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:03 PM

Dang CS! We might as well begin calling the LS the Slug Shot!

I would MOST DEFINATLY be intrested in buying several of those. Especially if you made them be stefan compatable.

Edited by elf_avec_gun, 24 December 2006 - 08:06 PM.

"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#14 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:48 PM

Especially if you made them be stefan compatable.

Well, if your stefans are the same length as the stock darts then they'll work in this and the stock magazine. Otherwise I would have to modify the magazine design by shortening the length of the follower.
I'm not sure what the average stefan length is.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 24 December 2006 - 08:55 PM.

#15 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:19 PM

The first two potential methods that come to mind are:
1.) You could put a sliding adjustment mech in there. It would be like Inventor Guy's Mag mod. but it would be able to slide horizantally.
or
2.) Still following InventorGuy's idea; he used a stick of some sorta sheet plastic, and cut a divit in the follower for the plastic stick to fit in, and then he glued the stick inplace. You could make the stick(s) And then create several divits so that the buyer/user could adjust it by taking the stick out, and putting it the prefered slot. It could also be removeable and therefore adjustable

It would require extra labor on your part, but I (and I would guess others) would be willing to pay more aswell. We could request that it have it, or not have it. it only has to be on one side, so you would just ship one normal side, and one of the special sides.
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#16 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:59 PM

The average stefan length is like 1.5 inches.

If you could make these stefan compatible, I'll buy 2-3.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#17 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:01 PM

The average stefan length is like 1.5 inches.

I use that length too.

Got Nerd?

#18 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 11:03 PM

I came up with a solution.
Posted Image

Only requires cutting a second smaller follower and cutting two long pieces using the tablesaw to make the guide pieces. I'm currently working on a way to insert the guide piece without having to completely disassemble the magazine. I'll be interested in seeing if the smaller follower is compatible with longer stefans. That would mean all you have to do to make the magazine stefan-compatible is to insert the guide piece and screw it down.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 24 December 2006 - 11:23 PM.

#19 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 11:11 PM

It is beautiful.
Thank you so much. ^_^

Got Nerd?

#20 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 11:57 PM

There we go. Now the stefan guide piece simply inserts through the underside of the magazine and is secured using two thumbscrews.
Posted Image

If I had a 3D printer or access to CNC then making a one-size-fits-all follower would be a snap as I could have it intermesh with the stefan guide piece. But I'll see if I can figure something out.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 25 December 2006 - 12:30 AM.

#21 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 01:20 PM

Cool. That thing at the bottom is just to carry it right? And how much will these cost when you finish them, if you are even going to sell them?

#22 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 02:48 PM

The handle on the bottom allows you to hang the clip from a belt clip and allows you to attach two clips together. It is an optional part.

I haven't decided whether or not I want to make these en-mass because they involve more work than the foregrip kits. The pricepoint might be somewhere around $15 shipped each due to the time required to make them, material costs, and shipping costs. The sheet thicknesses required to make these are not commonly available as scrap, but regardless the material costs are pretty low ($4 per clip).

#23 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 05:03 PM

The handle on the bottom allows you to hang the clip from a belt clip and allows you to attach two clips together. It is an optional part.

I haven't decided whether or not I want to make these en-mass because they involve more work than the foregrip kits. The pricepoint might be somewhere around $15 shipped each due to the time required to make them, material costs, and shipping costs. The sheet thicknesses required to make these are not commonly available as scrap, but regardless the material costs are pretty low ($4 per clip).

That is still really cheap, about the same price as 2 clips on ebay... Except this one is custom and holds more darts, and I am guessing it will be clear.

#24 flashflint

flashflint

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 07:45 PM

Sign me up to buy one.

#25 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 08:03 PM

$15 is not a problem for me. Sign me up if its $15 or even $20. Anything higher would take some serious consideration.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users