Photo

How To Make Smoke Bombs

33 replies to this topic

#1 puggy

puggy

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:39 PM

*** DICLAIMER*** I am not responsible for your actions, you should be aware at all times that these are dangerous if use incorrectly and may lead to injury or possibly even death! You are trying this at your own risk!***DISLAIMER***

Now that that's out of the way. This thread will tell you how to make smokebombs.

Materials Needed

Lighter
Stove
Large pot able to be put on the stove
Wooden Spoon
Sugar
Measuring Cup
Tree Stump Remover (can be found in Lowe's and Walmart in the garden section)(Potassium Nitrate/saltpeter will also work since it's the same thing)
Hammer

Optional
Fuse

Posted Image
Not all materials listed are in the picture.

How to make

Open your Stump Remover and put about 1 and 1 half cups of it in the measuring cup.
Posted Image

Now, add about a cup of sugar to it.
Posted Image

Now you want to pour the contents into the pot and stir it up good and even.

Than you put it on the stove and put it on Medium-High Heat.
Posted Image

Keep sturring the contents slowly every 30 seconds or so, if you stir it too fast some could go ove the edge of the pot and onto the stove and catch fire!

Over the next many minutes it will start to form clumps, this is what you want, keep sturring.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now, once it gets peanut butter looking and thick like in the picture below take the pot off the stove and take it outside.
Posted Image

Now, take your spoon and scoop out several amal clumps onto the concrete or road or whatever. You could form them all into one huge clump also.
Posted Image
Now, if you have any fuse stick it in the clump while it's still hot, you don't have to use fuse but it's safer that way.

Now, wait about 30 minutes until the stuff is cool and give tham a small knock with a hammer and you will be able to pick them right up. Npw your ready to light them, just light the fuse if you have any but if you don't, hold the lighter up to the edge of the clump for about 10-20 seconds, it will catch fire, just have patienece.
Posted Image

Personally, lighting it all on fire at once is amazing and spectacular, the smoke cloud is huge! I definately reccomend doing that.

NOTE, don't try to cook an insane amount at once, we tried that and as I said it caught fire and we had to paint our walls, get a new stove, and replace the kichen floor.

Enjoy.

EDIT:Last 2 pics don't work for some reason, but just copy and paste them to see the smoke bomb in action!

Here's the last 2 pics.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Note that that was just one small lump of that stuff, all of it at once is so amazing though.

#2 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:17 PM

excellent, where'd you find how to do this?
Nobody online Nerfs in the SE :(

#3 Lancaster

Lancaster

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the guide, I've been looking for a suitable relpacement for saltpeter for a while.

#4 puggy

puggy

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:29 PM

Actually I got it from unitednuclear.com, their guide has clearer pictures than mine does.

#5 PREDATOR

PREDATOR

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:47 PM

That's realy cool! :D About how long does it take till it turns brown?
QUOTE(Groove @ Apr 29 2007, 11:03 PM) View Post

Wise man always say, "Arguing on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded."
-Groove

#6 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:02 PM

So I assumed salt peter is in that stump remover shit? Thats looks exactly like united nuclears stuff. So I'm just assuming whatever chemical they use I believe its potassium nitrate or something is used in that stump remover.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#7 puggy

puggy

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:28 PM

Stump remover is 99% ptassium nitrate so.....yeah, it works great. It usually takes around 20-30 minutes to get it to turn brown. You can get it to turn faster if you use higher heat but then you have a major risk of it catching and you can easily burn it which maked it's performance drop greatly.

#8 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:45 PM

NOTE, don't try to cook an insane amount at once, we tried that and as I said it caught fire and we had to paint our walls, get a new stove, and replace the kichen floor.

That's why I don't try this kind of stuff in my house. I also saw this recipe on an episode of Mythbusters, and I've been dying to try this since then. I'm glad to know it works like this, 1) because I'm a pyro, and 2) because the Mythbusters version looked more like a flaming hockey puck that a smoke bomb. Someone tell me how a whole batch does when ignited all at once.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#9 Dart Attack

Dart Attack

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:04 PM

Dose it smell bad?

#10 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:13 PM

I don't know about the brand of stump remover he has, but the type my father tried on the tree stumps in our backyard smelt horible. It didn't even work on the stumps at all...I ended up taking them out with the fourwheeler.

I am definaletly going to try this out. What is the brand name of the stump remover you used? It's a little blurry in the pic, but I can read a S right above stump remover.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#11 puggy

puggy

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:25 PM

I don't know about the brand of stump remover he has, but the type my father tried on the tree stumps in our backyard smelt horible. It didn't even work on the stumps at all...I ended up taking them out with the fourwheeler.

I am definaletly going to try this out. What is the brand name of the stump remover you used? It's a little blurry in the pic, but I can read a S right above stump remover.

That stump remover doesn't have a smell at all to it, but when you melt the sugar with it it smalls kindof like carmel, a little too strong though. These pictures were taken more than 3 months ago so I don't remmber too much about the stump remover and what kind it was.

#12 The Vector Kid

The Vector Kid

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:24 AM

Now THAT is cool. I tried making smoke bombs and drano grenades for a nerf war once, any the only problem was with the neighbors - they thought our house was gonna go nuclear any minute. Fun times explaining THAT one to the cops.

#13 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:00 PM

I actually was thinking about doing this. I found stump remover in my friends garage. One thing I would like to say though. Measure by WEIGHT not volume. Its much more accurate and consistent.

#14 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:20 PM

This stuff would actually add an interesting aspect to the big wars like YANO and Armageddon. Those who have been to those wars should be able to decide on how useful or useless such a tactic would be.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

#15 Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse

• Banned
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:35 PM

See Now... My mind doesn't think in school but when it comes to pyro shit I am a pro. If you could think of a way to put this in a plastic case that would be amazing.

Maybe you could think of a way to make it safe for nerf wars... Like throw it in the plastic case.... It explodes and then we start a nerf round in the smoke. Good job.
QUOTE(Brass @ Jul 6 2007, 10:30 PM) View Post

QUOTE(keef @ Jul 6 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post

Yeah, I'm in the same case as Substance Abuse...
Brass, ask your mother.

She said your dad owes her three dollars.

#16 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:46 PM

See Now... My mind doesn't think in school but when it comes to pyro shit I am a pro. If you could think of a way to put this in a plastic case that would be amazing.

Maybe you could think of a way to make it safe for nerf wars... Like throw it in the plastic case.... It explodes and then we start a nerf round in the smoke. Good job.

I second that pyro feeling. Anyway, you could probably make a handfull of 1.5" balls out of this stuff, drill a coffee can until it looks like a sieve, and put the smoke bombs in there. Stick a fuse or some kind of ingnition source for all of the smoke bombs, nail the can to a post or metal rod, stick the rod in the ground, and light. It would be safer because it wouldn't be burning with direct contact to the ground, has plenty of air flow, and would be made out of a fire-resistant material and not plastic. (Plastic like markers and milk jugs melt and turn to napalm when you put them in a paper fire. The plastic melts and KEEPS BURNING. It's freaking awesome.)

#17 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:58 PM

I'm sure one could let them harden in a cylindrical item and then just work it out of the item when it's all dry.
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#18 puggy

puggy

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:05 PM

Plastic Definately won't work, I saw a video of where a dude put some of this stuff in sch. 80 pvc and put it on a skatboard, he went a good 15-20 mph. But afterwards the pvc was all deformed and had a huge hole in the side of it, he was lucky he didn't get burned. A guy on pbnation said he tried it in an aluminum can and it melted very fast and became a huge molten blob. If you took these to a war you should just keep it simple without any casings.

Oh yeah, at a huge war like YANO or something, the little shits would be gay, you would need to make a full batch and light it at once. Trust me, it looks like a fucking bomb went off, cool as hell. There not as cool on windy days though...

For my birthday we bought four bottles of stump remover, my plan was to make them all and add them together. But an unexpected fire occured, now I can't cook anything un-food related inside.

One sad thing about the large bombs is though, you don't really get the "boom" effect. I was expecting a small mushroom cloud or something but it just burned slowly and made a huge wide tornado like stream of white smoke, I was amazed but now I plan on adding a tad of gasoline, or something to make it all catch fire at once so I'd get the mushroom cloud I want. These things rock!

Edited by puggy, 12 December 2006 - 08:11 PM.

#19 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:06 PM

Uncle Hammer:
That's what I was thinking, but they don't have to be perfectly round or cylindrical, but close to it. My coffee-can idea works for paper and plastic fires, and should work with spheres and/or cylinders of this smoke bomb mixture. Unless you meant to just stick the stuff right in the ground...

puggy:
Trust me, coffee cans like Maxwell House's don't melt easy, even with the crazy shit I burn in them. Just keep the can ventilated and relatively clear of the ground for about 3 inches and it's fine.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 12 December 2006 - 08:09 PM.

#20 Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse

• Banned
  • 487 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:19 PM

puggy:
Trust me, coffee cans like Maxwell House's don't melt easy, even with the crazy shit I burn in them. Just keep the can ventilated and relatively clear of the ground for about 3 inches and it's fine.

I second this statement. I poured gasoline and cologne into a Maxwell House coffee can and Lit it up. It took about 30 minutes to even begin melting but that was because of the gas.

I say a coffee can is probably your best bet.
QUOTE(Brass @ Jul 6 2007, 10:30 PM) View Post

QUOTE(keef @ Jul 6 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post

Yeah, I'm in the same case as Substance Abuse...
Brass, ask your mother.

She said your dad owes her three dollars.

#21 Backyard Nerfer

Backyard Nerfer

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:12 PM

Dang, I oughta try this. I've always been trying to get a cool smoke bomb to work so I can use it for wars. The only problem is that my neighbor is the chief of police (he lives at the end of my street, though). Still, it would be awesome!
The only thing that gets me high is the truth... and model glue fumes. -Stephen Colbert

#22 agentM192

agentM192

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:36 PM

People might think you're lightin' turds on fire!! :P :D :lol: :lol: But looks fun for all of the pyromaniacs out there!
They aren't weapons. Don't call them weapons. They're only weapons if you make them so.

#23 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:53 PM

My smoke bomb It's not the best but it's a video. That particular smoke bomb was the worst of the batch. We put it all in some paper wax dixie cups and stood them on their sides or upright(that one was on it's side) It disperses and rises very quickly but it's thicker then any smokebomb you could buy at a fireworks stand. To the coffee can idea. Be very careful, I'm not sure what tempature aluminum burns at but we lit some of the leftover shit on some foil and that was the last time we saw that foil.

Edited by Uncle Hammer, 15 December 2006 - 11:13 PM.

QUOTE (Talio)

#24 InkJet

InkJet

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:03 AM

*delete please, sorry*

Edited by InkJet, 20 December 2006 - 12:14 AM.

#25 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 11:30 PM

A redbull can with tons of holes in it with a fuse. that should be a good casing
Boys Become Men....Men Become Wolves

Blaffair to Rememblack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users