Photo

A Big What's Up To The Nic

6 replies to this topic

#1 The Vector Kid

The Vector Kid

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 05:41 AM

Hey guys! I'm a big fan of all the work going on here. I've been reading up on mods and homemades for a few months now, both here and at HQ, and think I'm finally ready to be a part of the modding scene.

My cousins and I have occasional backyard battles, but we've been using conventional, off-the-shelf dart guns and stock darts. I feel like it's time for a change, so I've been reading up on Nerf theory basically. I'd love Nerf guns with a bit more kick than my POS Tek Tens.

I've successfully completed a few different projects from here, the most ambitious being a souped-up version of mayhem's Tek Ten shotgun mod (they sucked by themselves... at least now they look cool), and I just finished a clip following ompa's design, with a few variations. I'll post it when I think it's ready to go.

This is my first time posting I think, but it definitely seems like something I'm interested in. I love Nerfing, and now that I'm in college (I go to Cornell, if anyone else here does) I have serious modding resources. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself to all of you, and I'll hopefully be able to contribute some ideas as time goes on!

#2 Lancaster

Lancaster

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:17 AM

Welcome! Great first post, sounds like you might actually be a valuable member.

#3 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:33 AM

Welcome. I, like you, started out with shitty stock guns. Get some mods in and you'll never want to even look at a stock gun ever again.

Good to have you.

#4 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:38 PM

Yup. I started out with Mavericks. And went through 6 before I finally figured out they were hopeless.

If at first you don't succeed -- try, try again. Because when you make something awesome, we'd love to see it. XD
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#5 The Vector Kid

The Vector Kid

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:39 PM

Thanks for all the welcomes! It's nice to be a part of the place. I just had a pretty intense day (final exams + 4" of snow + 20 minutes of walking in a blizzard), so I'm gonna chill out and start practicing my stefan skills.

Quick question: I've got 5/8" FBR, some cheap black stuff but it seems to work alright. For now I'm making 2" long megas, but can someone give me a quick run down of the differences between megas and micros? From what I've pieced together, micros go a bit farther but megas are more accurate... then again, everyone says it depends entirely on the barrel, foam and a bunch of other things. I've got some 21/32" K&S and that's working pretty well for a barrel so far.

#6 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:12 PM

You could make a new topic for this, but; I use 1/2" Foam King. Ovbiously, I prefer micros. As for range and accuracy, I believe it depends more on the type of foam(density, not width), how good a fit you have, what kind of barrel you have, how good your barrel is lined up, and how well your darts fit. If you're using the right PVC(The only good material for megas?) then use megas, but you aren't going to be getting many back in a war. Usually you find no more than 1-2 people using megas. You could make zeros if you don't want to change barrels. All that is is a micro with a band around it so it fits in the mega barrels. They also fit in the barrels for micros, but ovbiously you cannot ramrod them as they get caught. Overall, I'd say get some brass, PETG, or CPVC and use micros though.

#7 Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse

• Banned
  • 487 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:46 PM

Welcome the vector. I started out with Tek Tens aswel so I know exactly how bad they are. Keep trying and welcome to the NIC.

Good Luck.
QUOTE(Brass @ Jul 6 2007, 10:30 PM) View Post

QUOTE(keef @ Jul 6 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post

Yeah, I'm in the same case as Substance Abuse...
Brass, ask your mother.

She said your dad owes her three dollars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users