I stole his idea, and gutted my singled AT3K and stole its essential parts. Well, actually, only the airtank. I decided to use the RF20 pump I had sitting around. It fills up the 3K tank with about two pumps, and I didn't plug it, so it cuts down on priming time a bit.
The first order of business was gutting EVERYTHING out of the Longshot. The only things that are still Longshot parts are the trigger and the orange barrel piece. It turns out that the 3K airtank fits in pretty well to the place where the plunger used to sit. I glued it down and arranged it so that the pump would be outside on the left and the pin could be attached to the trigger.
To make the gun work with its original trigger, I epoxied and hot glued a big, hefty nail in between the pin and the plastic trigger on the LS. At first, this was okay, but eventually it began to flex and not pull the pin. I thought about it for a few days and what I can up with was two wooden triangles on each side of the nail, preventing it from moving in any direction besides backwards with the trigger pull.
For the barrel, I nested PETG into PVC and the nested the protruding PVC into copper piping, and then the copper got nested into the orange barrel of the gun. I didn't measure, but the barrel is definately over a foot long. Probably about a foot and a half.
On the outside, I did very little to the gun. The only thing that's changed is that there's a hole where the pump goes to the airtank, but that's covered with electrical tape. I also put on two Nite Finder ammo holder, both to support the pump tube and hold ammo.
Onto the pictures!
That's the two cases of the gun sitting on my (uber-messy) worktable.
Airtank in place.
Wood and nail trigger bridge.
Gun from front and side.
End of pump and ammo holders. Also, an electrical tape Konoha symbol. It's cut green electrical tape on black. I thought it was cool.
Next to a stock Longshot. Note that there is a clip in the stock; I only put it there to support the guns at the same height, THIS IS NOT A CLIP-FED GUN.
Stock front gun attached; it shall be modded soon.
Ranges on this thing are really good, better than I expected. At two pumps, I'm definately going above fifty feet with great velocity. Also, when fired with no dart, it makes a totally menacing popping noise.
I set out to make an airgun inside one of the nicest cases that has ever been made, and I think I succeeded.
<edit> Ah, I forgot. I came up with a name for it when I first began this project. It's "Frankensteve" for two reasons:
1.) It useses parts from four different guns, which would make it Frankenstein, but...
2.) ...My dad showed me this: Young Frankenstein + Steve Ballmer = Hilarious.
Edited by Ice Nine, 23 November 2006 - 07:00 PM.