Air Restrictor Removal

Why do you do this instead of that?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Keenath

Keenath

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 12:35 PM

Everything I've seen on here about removing air restrictors refers to drilling out the center of the AR's mounting doohickey. I'm not sure I understand this, and I want to get a clarification before I try it on my Longshot. Well, okay, actually I bought an NS to try it on first, since that's like five bucks instead of thirty if I screw up.

Okay, so: I'm holding the longshot's piston and looking in the back of it. This picture, which I found elsewhere on the boards, perfectly illustrates:

Posted Image

Okay, so (from descriptions and examination of the NS), this is the thing I'm supposed to cut on:
Posted Image

Now, everything I've read describes it as being drilled out, something like this:
Posted Image

What I'm trying to figure out is why not do it like this, which seems infinitely easier:
Posted Image

Is there a reason not to just snip the three support struts and yank the thing entirely out? What purpose does it serve to leave a small ring of plastic in there -- doesn't that, in some small way, "obstruct the airway", which is the whole point of removing the AR in the first place?

Edited by Keenath, 21 November 2006 - 12:40 PM.

#2 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:18 PM

Actually I did just that, I used vice grips to rip the little bitches out.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#3 Keenath

Keenath

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:56 PM

Have you had any problems with it after doing that?

I'm mainly wondering why the "standard" advice is to drill it out with a spade-tip bit rather than cut the three small connectors; whether there's any problem with what seems to me to be the 'easy way'.

Edited by Keenath, 21 November 2006 - 01:56 PM.

#4 The Crackerjack Man

The Crackerjack Man

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 04:38 PM

I haven't opened up a longshot but if its anything like a BBB piston then I suggest not losing the little pieces. I did so with my BBB and I ruined a part of my gun. It like ripped it up. Also if you just drill like shown I would think it wouldnt jam up like mine did.

What Forsaken_angel said, below me, is what happened with my BBB and now i hate it.

Edited by The_Crackerjack_Man, 21 November 2006 - 05:31 PM.

"Wow, you realy screwed that guy over"

#5 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 04:58 PM

That peice right there is what the plunger head slams into. If you snip those peices you better sand those fuckers down realy smooth or they are going to destroy the outer ring of you plunger head or washer because it is now those places and those places alone that will be absorbing all the impact. If you do sand them down you better pray the nub that activates the catch does not come slamming though the thin plastic at the rear end of the plunger tube because now the plunger can travel farther.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 21 November 2006 - 04:59 PM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#6 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 05:57 PM

Hey, that's my hand. -_-
I would suggest drilling out the center, I did it with a dremel. And, like Forsaken said, that's what the plunger head hits. I'm not sure what would happen if you just snipped it, and tried to sand it (which would be really hard).
It might mess with the plunger because then there's nothing stopping it, so it might get too stressed and break.

#7 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:06 PM

I had no problems with mine after, but it might be becaue I scilenced my LS with bits of foam the plunger head.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#8 Lance

Lance

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:36 PM

If your inards arent glued down I would think it mite come apart.. as mine did when I didn't glue everything.

#9 Keenath

Keenath

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:29 AM

Actually, I wasn't planning to sand them at all -- I was going to leave as much of the three 'struts' as I could, so that they'd continue to be what the plunger hits.

But I'll go ahead and do it the safe way. Thanks for the advice.

#10 alhava

alhava

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:09 AM

I'm looking to start my longshot mod. How did this work for you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users