H2h In Nerf.

Does it work?

38 replies to this topic

#1 Sacapuntas Cabesa

Sacapuntas Cabesa

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 11:21 PM

Ok, I'm not sure what kind of people you nerf with, but using H2H in our wars is out of the question. Guys starting throwing punches and guns when they get shot by a BBB from too close. I can't even imagine the chaos that would ensue if I hit some guy with a padded piece of PVC pipe. I can't have people going home bloodied up.

Maybe you guys don't get as into the war as we do. Or maybe you just don't have a bunch of short-tempered teenage guys playing. Whatever it is, H2H won't work for us.

I don't know, maybe a mild sedative would work?
If the world is so unfair, why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?

Dinobot smash!!!

#2 Sandman

Sandman

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 12:11 AM

Heck, I'd think it'd be better to beat eachother with padded foam than with your fists...

Actually, when I've had wars with H2H factored in, it's gone pretty smoothly. It's pretty fun getting into a heated melee combat situation in the middle of a war.

#3 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 12:24 AM

For me, it doesn't work as well in large wars, but when you're all out of ammo, hitting each other or swordfighting with PVC is fun and works good.
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#4 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 01:17 AM

H2H would never work for us out here on the West coast. Not only would the majority of us (myself included) think it's stupid, but we also get a WIDE age and skill range playing in the same battle. If I, at 200 pounds and 20 years old, came at some 80 pound 13 year old with a huge PVC and foam sword......well it just wouldn't be fair. Though it WOULD be satisfying......
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#5 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 04:02 PM

I smell a comic coming on...

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#6 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 04:40 PM

I'm gonna have to agree with Cabesa here. H2H is what happens when someone shows up at a war with exposed metal on their darts and I have to throw down on their ass.

#7 superadaquabat

superadaquabat

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 06:19 PM

In smaller wars, with ten or less, I think there could be some great games made up with special rules for hand to hand. For example, only three dart for everyone, no picking darts up or anything and evryone gets a sword. I don't think being injured is such a big problem even if you are outsized so long as you don't swing with all you force or anything. You could do a lot of stuff to hurt people in a nerf war that you don't do because its stupid. So once again I believe hand to hand could definitely add some variety to a nerf war, but only if you withing a small group of people you know won't get out of hand (to hand haha... nevermind, sorry).
Happiness is a foam gun.

#8 WebbZter

WebbZter

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 06:36 PM

We allow H2H in our wars but we have a rule that one cannot use excessive force. We usually just tap the other guy with our weapon. Although the term "excessive force" can be pretty subjective we haven't had any problems with people getting hurt from H2H...yet.

#9 Inlitned1

Inlitned1

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 07:52 PM

Well here is my take on H2H... It will not work. Some of us, I.E. me, have been through training on how to kick the shit outta people with our bare hands, I think that there is a problem. PVC for swors!!! come on people. if you really have to go hand to hand take the fins off a arrow and make a knife, or what ever you want to call it. Besides teen age boys(and the ocational girls) tend to be verry violent when attacked physicaly. I know I would if some little punk came after me with a psudo sword or somthing. It really is not a good idea
Back from the dead
-Shoot first, count bodys later

#10 Guest_wax4213_*

Guest_wax4213_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2003 - 08:24 PM

It works fine, in my limited experience with it. You have to make sure that everything on the sword is covered in foam, or you can really hurt someone. I guess we in the Northwest are a little calmer than others :( , because we don't hurt each other much. It adds a different element to the war, and I personally like it. I also like superadaquabat's idea, at least for some wars. If you use your ammo, and can't find anymore, then you just whip out your sword and go out searching for other people. Kind of brings a medieval feel to the game.

#11 Puddle of Foam

Puddle of Foam

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 08:44 PM

Speaking of h2h weapons, I was gonna try to make one. All you would need is a stick of PVC about 2-3 feet long, and some FBR at the striking point.
Do you have the papers...?
No, but I have a big [BLEEP] gun. That's good enough for me!
-Fallout 2

If anyone was wondering, I'm RoboNerfer from NO. And I'm U.n.c.u.T.! on NerfHQ.

#12 Inlitned1

Inlitned1

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 08:49 PM

That must be the case, cause I know that it would really get out of hand down here. But that might be atributed to the fact that the people I nerf with are generaly small anoying poss. But dont you think there is a verry negative posibality. I mean... the whole head/eyes thing. Maby I am being really over critical, but I still dont think that it would work, or that its a good idea.
Back from the dead

#13 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 11:10 PM

The horsemen and I went hand to hand a while ago, with pvc, and padding, and take, and whatnot. I would NEVER allow that in a war, because at least three guns would be broken, and 2 small people killed the way we play with that stuff. I mean, we just don't fuck around when it comes to violence, and I'd think it would be the same with most other nerfers...I mean c'mon, you're fucking nerfing!

VACC

#14 Batman

Batman

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 12:13 AM

H2h is a funny idea. I wonder whoever thought it up???? I guess it must have been someone that ran out of ammo to often. I mean the only good reason I would use it, is to deflect bullets, I mean, really, a Lock N' Load, and a nice thick padded sword, you'd all die horrible deaths at Lano! lol. Really though, its more of a shield if you ask me. Because getting in close enough to actually use it, htats gotta take some serios stealth, I mean we're talkin your invisible :( ! O, and for the guy htat started this. I really don't think its a very smart idea to play with people like that. Infact, I think its rather stupid, and they should all go get some counseling. :huh:
www.Gainsae.com

#15 Sandman

Sandman

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 01:58 AM

You would need actual Jedi-like reflexes to be able to deflect darts, even from single shot guns (I won't delve into the reflexes needed to ward off a Powerclip, save a RF20). H2H is more for finesse, and to put a stylish end to certain battles. If all you're concerned with in a war is to win, H2H is probably not going to be the thing you'd want to focus on. When I use such weapons, the fun factor is multiplied when they're used correctly.

Also, if you guys are so concerned about hurting people with padded PVC, you could just get a slightly more expensive rubber material that is available for piping.

#16 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 10:43 AM

I dunno, I can block shots with my manta ray from high powered guns at a pretty close range, and in my opinion pc shots, even in groups, are easier to out-maneuver by far. Ask Spoon, he's seen it. Oh, and I have seen death block a shot with his fucking katana once...it was pretty sweet but he wouldn't shut up about it for days, hehe.

VACC

#17 Sandman

Sandman

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 06:29 PM

Well, I was kinda referring more to deflecting shots with a foam sword. It's a little more tricky, but it's kinda fun to have someone shoot a load of rings from a Firestorm and try to swipe them from the air... That's pretty cool about the katana... Was it a real metal blade or was it fake?

#18 superadaquabat

superadaquabat

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 06:37 PM

Theres always shields, like the manta ray for example, but I mean actual real fake shields. And Puddle of Foam, I don't understand how your going to use FBR to make a sword with PVC. I'm using this copper pipe unsulation stuff convered in a mass of duct tape. I haven't made it yet, but when finals are over, I'll start working away.
Happiness is a foam gun.

#19 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 08:48 PM

My only problem with hand to hand is the fakeness of it in actual practice. Most people won't bother to hack at you with a foam sword after a block, they'll just try to touch you with the foam. And so, Hand to hand nerf becomes lame. If I could get some cheap and efficient marking system going, that requires a fair bit of concussive force to activate, it could work.. But I don't want a kid continually trying to poke or touch me with a piece of foam on a stick.

Though I'm very partial to my Nunchukas... Compact and unobtrusive, and prevents people from trying some kind of point blank shot (Happens often, my friends are very bad with accuracy, and use high-reload guns). We're not very violent over here, so fist fights aren't a problem with us.

And you meant a "Nerf" Katana, right, Vacc?
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#20 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 02:37 AM

No he meant "Katana" as in a "it will cut you in fucking half and was invented in Japan" sword.
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#21 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 07:04 PM

No he meant "Katana" as in a "it will cut you in fucking half and was invented in Japan" sword.

Hmm... Your nerf wars are pretty violent, aren't they?
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#22 Inlitned1

Inlitned1

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 08:14 PM

Note to self: if ever nerfing with spoon, carry ether Glock, or ASP.
Back from the dead

#23 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 10:17 PM

I find that even with really thick foam insulator, it still can hurt when whacked. It hurts my wrists when I whack things too. I think this is called the Piezoelectric effect or something. It was really harsh with me when I played baseball. I'd hit the ball and the bat would shake out of my hands and hit someone. I hit some lady in the shins, and in gym I hit a girl in the face :o :blink: :( . Yeah, well, somehow they built some device to implant in metal bats that corrects this effect.. somehow.. but it costs a lot. So that is why I just use a 3 foot piece of foam insulator to whack with. It gives you a more authentic feel... yeah..

I didn't see Death w/Katana, but I did see Famine w/baseball bat. You guys have no idea how scared I was...
"The occasional hell or damn is ok,
but we do sh*t and F---"

~Webbster, Foam Improvement.

"I got four points... I sackled you"

#24 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 11:12 PM

It hurts my wrists when I whack

[snip]

So that is why I just use a 3 foot piece of foam insulator to whack with. It gives you a more authentic feel... yeah..

See kids, this is why quoting out of context is bad. :blink:
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#25 Sandman

Sandman

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 12:25 AM

See kids, this is why quoting out of context is bad. :blink:

Bad admin! Bad! :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users