Photo

Homemade Air Gun

6 replies to this topic

#1 PiMpDaDdY

PiMpDaDdY

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 01:27 PM

I'm building a simple air gun and I need to know what kind of pvc cement do I need? Do I need to use primer and pvc cement or just pvc cement?
NerfMonkey:
I only ask because I'm thinking of trying these and it would suck if the balls got all covered with hairs after a while.

#2 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 02:04 PM

PVC Primer and Cement. Primer first then cement.

#3 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:13 PM

The primer strips off the glazing on the PVC so the cement creates a better bond. Either the primer or the cement, I think it's the primer, is purple. I heard that the purple stuff works better.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#4 The Inventor Guy

The Inventor Guy

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:13 PM

The primer strips off the glazing on the PVC so the cement creates a better bond. Either the primer or the cement, I think it's the primer, is purple. I heard that the purple stuff works better.

Let me clarify that post; it's confusing and if taken the wrong way could be dangerous. Just like swallowing a suppository.
The primer does just that - it primes the pipe to be glued and bonded.
The cement finishes the job by creating a bond between PVC+PVC.
You can't just use primer - you can just use cement if you wanted, a long as you lightly sanded or scrubbed the pipe - but not just using only primer.
So as I said, it's not necessary to use Primer - I never have personally, but I have different methods - but I would recommend it for anything you are going to pressurise over 50psi.

-Tidge.

Edited by The Inventor Guy, 11 November 2006 - 09:16 PM.

Also active on NerfHQ as Tidge.

#5 PiMpDaDdY

PiMpDaDdY

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:22 PM

So I decdied to do primer and then put down the pvc cement. Thanks for the help!
NerfMonkey:
I only ask because I'm thinking of trying these and it would suck if the balls got all covered with hairs after a while.

#6 King Of Butt Land

King Of Butt Land

• Banned
  • 324 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:19 AM

If you ask me, theres no "Decision" to be made. Cementing without priming is just unsafe and your gun will not work. Go see what happened to Sponges cannon, he didn't primer and the thing leaked like an american made sailboat. So yes, always primer.

-Butt

Edited by King Of Butt Land, 12 November 2006 - 10:20 AM.

QUOTE(Puppy-§layer @ Dec 18 2008, 04:22 AM) View Post

This contest may have some flaws, as people can simply be a deuschbag over the internet. By Lying.

A war-like setting/invitational would be better...

#7 ShadowSniper

ShadowSniper

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:45 PM

Well, it CAN work with just cement, but I wouldnt reccomend it even though it wont always leak. Primer is just the safer way to go especially if you dont want it to blow up in your face like my first spudgun did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users