Longshot Question.

Plunger tube.

12 replies to this topic

#1 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:27 PM

Alright I know it isn't like me to call for help but I am having trouble with my longshots plunger head creating the perfect seal in the plunger tube.

I have removed the existing O-ring and added two more O-rings. One a bit thicker than the next. At the bottom of the plunger tube I am getting a perfect seal. However when the gun is cocked and the plunger head is closer to the back I am getting a bad seal. The seal seems to worsen the farther the gun is cocked backward. When the gun is fired it would seem that alot of air is escaping around the plunger head as it is being thrusted forward. Wasted air = less range = more banging sound = One pissed off Angel.

Is anyone else noticing this.

Any comments or ideas are welcome.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 09 November 2006 - 11:27 PM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#2 SPU-Nerf

SPU-Nerf

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:46 AM

Yeah the longshot does have its drawbacks despite being such a cool gun.
It is very complex and does not have a good seal because of its clip design.
It shoots an respectiable distance but there are many other guns that shoot further.
So in short there isn't much that you can do to fix this it is just how the gun is.

#3 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:59 AM

Doing this solved all of my plunger head problems. The severe beating the stock head was taking with the added spring was unnerving me.
Posted Image
That's a 1-1/2"d 1/8"t neoprene fender washer. Which I sandwhiched between two 1-1/4" steel washers plus a finishing washer and then screwed the combination onto the stock plunger rod.
The resulting seal is great. Just as good as what I've been able to get with homemades.

DON'T TRY THIS. I could never find a duplicate washer.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 07 November 2008 - 10:55 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#4 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 01:20 AM

Captain slug: I have seen this in your modifications write up but went to all the local hardware stores and could not find the neoprene fender washer. Where did you get yours. If you tell me Mcmaster I am SOL because Mcmaster doesnt like Canadians. If you can tell me a couple places I can go to that would be great. If not could I get you to send it to me through the snail mail?

Do the washers not add more weight to the plunger head making it harder to thrust forward, In other words decreasing range?

SPU nerf: Once I solve this plunger problem I will have a Longshot with a %100 air tight seal. I have done an original mod so it can still use the clips and now be air tight.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 10 November 2006 - 02:01 AM.

I know its bad,
After what we had,

#5 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 01:22 AM

Captain slug I have seen this in your modifications picture but went to all the local hardware stores and could not find the neoprene fender washer. Where did you get yours. If you tell me Mcmaster I am SOL because Mcmaster doesnt like Canadians. If you can tell me a couple places I can go to that would be great. If not could I get you to send it to me through the snail mail?

I got mine from Home Depot. It's the same washer I was going to use for CSHG until I decided to go pneumatic so I do have 3 spares now. I'll put the neoprene washer, two steel washers, and a finishing washer in a padded envelope and mail it to you tomorrow.

If anyone else needs one and can't find one anywhere just PM me about it.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 10 November 2006 - 01:23 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#6 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 01:25 AM

Thanks CS. The Rona, Home depot and Canadian Tire Plumbing sections here in Canada are really weak when it comes to washers.

EDIT: CS: Your order of Red FBR is in the mail as of tommorrow.
Things were hectic. I got hit by a car!

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 10 November 2006 - 01:26 AM.

I know its bad,
After what we had,

#7 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 01:37 AM

Thanks CS. The Rona, Home depot and Canadian Tire Plumbing sections here in Canada are really weak when it comes to washers.

EDIT: CS: Your order of Red FBR is in the mail as of tommorrow.
Things were hectic. I got hit by a car!

Yeah I know our hardware stores suck compared to the ones in the U.S. I have to make occasonal trips down to the U.S. just to pick up parts or nerf guns. Tommorow I am going down to the states to pick up my Speedloader :D

CaptainSlug, what are the ranges on that washer plunger head?

#8 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 01:54 AM

CaptainSlug, what are the ranges on that washer plunger head?

With the plunger head replaced, a second spring added, restrictor removed, and the tiny hole in the bolt plugged, I get 90 feet with the stock barrel and stock darts.
I have yet to bother with barrel replacements because I'm happy with the reliability of the gun as it is now and the ranges I am getting.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 10 November 2006 - 01:55 AM.

#9 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:35 AM

That's a 1-1/2"d 1/8"t neoprene fender washer. Which I sandwhiched between two 1-1/4" steel washers plus a finishing washer and then screwed the combination onto the stock plunger rod.
The resulting seal is great. Just as good as what I've been able to get with homemades.

Holy crap have I gotten alot of PMs and e-mails about this already.

Here are the basics
1. Any rubber washers with an OD of 1-1/2 inches will work if you can keep it centered.
2. You sandwhich the rubber washers with one 1-1/4" OD steel washer infront of and one behind it
3. The finishing washer (or any #6-32 washer) is important because most steel washers that large will be for screw sizes much larger than the stock screw that the stock plunger head is held in place with.
4. This is a direct replacement for the stock plunger head.
5. If you get a rubber washer that has a large ID it won't stay centered unless you use a rigid washer or rubber grommet inserted into the center of the rubber washer.

I found the rubber washers by dumb luck at home depot, but I haven't been able to find ones like it since. I bought them based on the part list Carbon posted for making one of his SNAP homemades. Since I haven't found a convenient source for the exact same washer I've come up with a part list that I know will work should any of you want to replace the stock plunger head.

The #6 washer will need to go in the middle of the rubber washer and on the front of the head.
You do not have to buy these parts from mcaster, but they will give you the best price. Simply use this list to find dimensionally identical parts elsewhere.

DON'T TRY THIS.
I could never find a duplicate washer.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 07 November 2008 - 10:55 PM.

#10 AnyaSeijin

AnyaSeijin

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:36 AM

SPU nerf: Once I solve this plunger problem I will have a Longshot with a %100 air tight seal. I have done an original mod so it can still use the clips and now be air tight.

I'm waiting for the write-up to your 100% air-tight seal.

I feel that The Inventor Guy's mod is probably the best I've seen yet. However, I believe that as I've thought about the cutting of bolt, and placing the seal there only seams to diminish one of the best places for the dart to fit into. From what I can figure, because the dart originally went back that far in, actually caused a decent seal around the dart, forcing the air to be used quickly, but causing it to only hit the dart, no air being lost. However his still is getting better ranges than mine*, I just don't feel like its the best idea to cut backand seal the bolt (No offense TIG).

I have thought about it over and over again, and to put a seal there so the dart doesn't go back doesn't make sense to me. Maybe if someone can make this a bit clearer, or help produce a better idea.

*Mine being: Long shot modded with BBB spring doubled-up on the rubber seal plunger. And all restrictors taken out. Ranges very, but it works well-enough for me.

#11 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:21 AM

I'm waiting for the write-up to your 100% air-tight seal.

I wouldn't hold your breath. I do already have the 100% air seal working out for me. But I will not post the write up untill I am completely done with the gun.

My Crazy write up for the longshot will be done in 1-3 weeks. Their are alot of things I am working on and improving. I have been working on my longshot now for about 2 weeks. I just love it when you know what works and you can complete a mod in a day. This new stuff takes testing,drying time, more testing, theory's,testing those theory's. Is it theory's or theories? I currently own 3 longshots and am getting another one tommorrow. I am not that concerned if a part breaks on me during the testing. In advance I am working on the ultimate longshot. I am aiming to get the most out of the gun that I can. I have taken bits and peices of inspiration from other write ups as well as came up with some original stuff myself.
The write up is going to be huge like my Demon Fang but longer. The Longshot is a pretty complex gun and I plan on working with those complexities no matter how long it takes.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#12 Shadow 92

Shadow 92

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:30 PM

I think I might have found out a way to brass a longshot and still create an airtight seal. I thought about replacing the barrel with 10'' of 19/32'' with 6'' of 17/32'' and putting it where Carrtoon put his barrel. Then you would trim the bolt like The Inventor Guy did, except you would put a 3'' section of 1/2'' brass into the bolt so only a small portion (1/32'') sticks out of the front. This way the dart slides into the 1/2'' section and the tip of that slides into the 17/32'' brass creating an airtight seal but still allows the bolt to move.

If you want, you're welcome to testing this and using this in your write-up Forsaken. I don't have brass so I won't be doing this anytime soon.

#13 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:18 PM

If you want, you're welcome to testing this and using this in your write-up Forsaken. I don't have brass so I won't be doing this anytime soon.

Thanks but I already got the barrel assembly all taken care of.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users