Photo

Problem With My Magstrike Mod

15 replies to this topic

#1 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:58 PM

I recently extended my bladder out of my magstrike, so I can have more air capacity. When I pump it up (by bike pump) and then pull the trigger the piston moves a 1/4 of an inch less or so than it should. Here's my setup:

Posted Image

As you can see, there is tubing that runs straight from the bladder to a coupler that goes to the magstrike piston and bike pump. I am thinking that splitting it into two tubes( like the original set up) will work better. Any suggestions?
Nobody online Nerfs in the SE :(

#2 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:30 PM

I think you just put the guts back in the shell improperly.
It sounds like this part here is behind where t should be.
Posted Image
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#3 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:55 PM

That's not even it. When I take the piston out it does what I've explained.

#4 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 03:03 PM

That's not even it. When I take the piston out it does what I've explained.

Can you hear a hissing coming out of the back of the piston untill your air is all gone? If so you have a leaky piston and/or If it just goes up half way There is just not enough PSI in your bladder for it to function. Try banding the bladders you have and if that doesnt work I have no other ideas why at the present time. What did you extend the bladder with? more MS bladders? RF20 bladders? PC bladders? WF bladders?
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#5 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 03:19 PM

Did you purchase a pressure gauge to monitor your tank pressure? You tank pressure has to be above 25 PSI in order to cycle the weapon.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#6 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:22 PM

Did you purchase a pressure gauge to monitor your tank pressure? You tank pressure has to be above 25 PSI in order to cycle the weapon.

No, because it is a rubber bladder made of latex tubing.

#7 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:37 AM

So? Just like a rigid tank your bladder tank will still need to reach an effective pressure level in order for it to cycle the weapon. So you will need some way of monitoring the tank pressure. You can mount the gauge anywhere along the tubing using a reducing T.
Posted Image
And then get a pressure gauge to plug into the T
Posted Image
Miniature Gauge - 5% Full Scale Accuracy 29/32" Dial, 1/8" NPT Center Back, 0 - 160 PSI part# 38105K33

Also, are you remembering to use teflon tape on all of your fitting threads?

Edited by CaptainSlug, 05 November 2006 - 09:39 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#8 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:59 AM

I dont have any fitting threads. How the heck is a gauge going to fix my problem?

#9 King Of Butt Land

King Of Butt Land

• Banned
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:51 AM

Does this latex material resemble surgical tubing at all? If so that may be your problem. When making paint ball grenades I noticed that surgical tubing could only exert x amount of force, I'm guessing it was very high because I could easily stop the flow of air with my finger. I forget the minimum operating pressure of the Magstrike, but you may want to see if your latex tubing can even exert the pressure.

-Butt
QUOTE(Puppy-§layer @ Dec 18 2008, 04:22 AM) View Post

This contest may have some flaws, as people can simply be a deuschbag over the internet. By Lying.

A war-like setting/invitational would be better...

#10 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:56 PM

I dont have any fitting threads. How the heck is a gauge going to fix my problem?

There is just not enough PSI in your bladder for it to function.

Uhh yeah: Pressure guages guage your level of PSI. Incase you didnt know.
Oh and you still havent answered my question as to what material you used to extend your bladder.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 05 November 2006 - 12:57 PM.

I know its bad,
After what we had,

#11 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:46 PM

#12 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:54 PM

I'm done trying to help.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#13 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:37 PM

You NEED 25 PSI for the magstrike to function, according to Forsaken and CS, you don't have that 25 PSI in your bladder. It doesn't matter if you have a rubber bladder or the most rigidd bladder, you still need X amount of PSI to function.

And Sluggy knows what hes talking about, I'd listn to him,if I were you.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#14 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:02 PM

I'm too patient.

How the heck is a gauge going to fix my problem?

The gauge will:
1. Tell you if your tank is reaching the pressure level needed to fire the gun.
2. Allow you to monitor tank capacity (telling you when you need to start or stop pumping).
3. Tell you if your loop is properly sealed or is leaking. A perfectly sealed tank should be able to be filled to a certain pressure level, then hold that pressure level indefinitely (or in the case of Nerf atleast 30 minutes)

To add a gauge to your setup you need these parts
Med-Pressure Extruded Brass Thrd Pipe Fitting 1/8" Pipe Size, Hex Coupling, 3/4" Length part# 50785K181
Posted Image
Miniature Gauge - 5% Full Scale Accuracy 29/32" Dial, 1/8" NPT Center Back, 0 - 160 PSI part# 38105K33
Posted Image
PVDF (Kynar) Instant Tube Fitting Male Straight Adapter for 1/4" Tube Od, 1/8" Nptf part# 1901K21
Posted Image
and if you don't have a spare one, you'll need another instant tube T coupler.
PVDF (Kynar) Instant Tube Fitting Tee for 1/4" Tube Od part# 1901K14
Posted Image

A large tank can take quite a while to fill with a bike pump. Do you have the bladder mounted out in the open or is it mounted inside a rigid shell of some kind? If it's mounted in the open you need to mount it in some kind of constraining wall device so that you can limit it's expansion a little.
Now everyone should understand why I didn't bother with trying to make a high capacity bladder tank, and that no matter what size tank you make it's a good idea to add a pressure gauge to it.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 05 November 2006 - 04:13 PM.

#15 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:21 PM

You NEED 25 PSI for the magstrike to function, according to Forsaken and CS, you don't have that 25 PSI in your bladder. It doesn't matter if you have a rubber bladder or the most rigidd bladder, you still need X amount of PSI to function.

And Sluggy knows what hes talking about, I'd listn to him,if I were you.

I was just telling him what kind of bladder I had. Thanks for not helping.

The pressure gauge only tells what pressure it is operating at, but could I use a regulator to get the right air out put?

Update: I tried the original bladder, and it worked fine, no problems. Anyway I can buy tubing made to the EXACT specifications (id, od)? Thanks.

Edited by SirTofu, 05 November 2006 - 05:41 PM.

#16 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:08 PM

You're the one asking questions, so quit trying to be a smart ass when you're the one that needs help.

The pressure gauge only tells what pressure it is operating at, but could I use a regulator to get the right air out put?

Regulators are used to step the input pressure down to a safe level. There's no such thing as a magical regulator than can step the input pressure up to a higher pressure level. A device that does that would be called a "pump".

You still need a pressure gauge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users