Various things done.

15 replies to this topic

#1 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:08 PM

I recently got my Longshot, and after a while messing around with the front gun, I decided that I should mod the Longshot itself. I decided to do things a little differently, and maybe make some improvements over what I've seen on the boards so far.

PART ONE

So, the first thing I did was pry the bolt off and dissamble. The first order of business was to remove the air restrictors, as per Carrtoon's mod. I didn't have the majority of tools, so I took a dremel and sanded through. I made it through most of the tube without incident and succeeded in getting the air restrictor out, but I accidently moved the dremel and made a nasty gash through part of the tube between the plunger and the clip, right at the base. Instead of crying over spilled milk, I decided to work with the mistake. I cut out the entire tube and replaced it with 3/8" brass tubing, as well as sanding down some parts to make it fit.

Posted Image
This is the tube itself, outside of the plunger tube.

Posted Image
Inside the plunger tube.

Posted Image
This is the part that goes inside the plunger tube; notice the massive quantities of hot glue that both prevent air leakage and keep the brass firmly in there.

Once I did this, I let it dry and hope that it would turn out to be airtight and workable. I was right; after the glue dried, I made some checks and it seemed as if the entire thing was airtight.

The next thing I did was diassemble my Maxshot for two parts: The spring and Lanard's replacement of the o-ring. I took out the plunger and took out the spring and original o-ring. I placed the Maxshot spring in and proceeded to trim the silicon piece from the Maxshot's plunger.

Posted Image
Springs compared.

Posted Image
Silicon band in place.

The next order of business was the barrel. I had six inches of PETG and a ton of copper piping. As it turns out, they fit together pretty well. I nested one end of the PETG into the copper to form a barrel of about 10 inches, which I figured would be enough; if not, I have plenty more copper. I made four cuts in the end of the PETG that gets fed into by the clip, and spread it out a little to make it easier for the dart to slide in.

Posted Image
Cut end of PETG.

Posted Image
Full barrel, coated in green and black electrical tape.

Basically done with the internals, I decided to sand down some parts to make it smoother; in particular, the part that the dart pushes against at the end of the bolt (shaped like a T). The PETG was interfering with the mechanism sliding smoothly, so I sanded it until it still pushed against that dart but didn't get caught in the PETG. Now done with the internals, I put it back together in one side of the case. I tested the mech with a single pink foam stefan in the clip just to check the movement; it seems like it was pretty smooth with only a few jams.

Posted Image
Partly reassembled gun with clip.

Posted Image
Mechanism closed, no clip.

Posted Image
Mechanism open, no clip.

END OF PART ONE

PART TWO

After fixing up the Longshot, I decided to pull out my Nite Finder, of the first generation. Great gun, I love it. Bobert suggested that I break up the scope and put the rail attachment onto it, which I thought was a great idea. I cut up the scope, pulled out the attachment, and glued it to the side. The NF gets decent range for first gen, and has a coupler on the front for easier reloading.

Posted Image
Nite Finder attachment, side.

Posted Image
Nite Finder attachment, back.

Being late, I decided to wait to put the LS all the way back togetfor tomorrow, which is when I'll test ranges. Part two of this mod will come later after tests and documentation.

END OF PART TWO

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#2 maverick x

maverick x

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:16 AM

ranges?

#3 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:20 AM

ranges?

I stated in the first post that I wouldn't get ranges until tomorrow. Looking at it now, however, I need to make more darts. Ranges by Wednesday, probably.

Rnbw Cln

#4 maverick x

maverick x

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:33 AM

It doesn't take a genius to estimate I don't care if your 15 feet off.

#5 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:14 PM

It's a waste of time and space to bug someone for ranges when they already said they'll post it later, why doesn't anyone get that.

anywho, Great job Ice Nine, I like how it's coming together, gives me more hope for my LS mod.

-bags

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#6 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:34 PM

He was nice enough to post his mods, so don't be a bitch. You shouldn't care about ranges because you're probably too inept to mod a gun anyway, judging by your typing skills.

Great mods Ice, I haven't seen you on the boards in a while. It's nice to know you're still into Nerf (or at least modding). I actually like the NF the most, mostly because it's impossible to find old-style ones anymore. First the EX-3s, then the green EX3s, the Dart Tag style ones and now the yellow ones...Blurgh. I need to fix my LS but...no...it would take too much effort and time. So when I do finally get around to it I'll be using your idea (the brass).

Great job; thanks for posting it.
SexD Warves

#7 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for the compliments, Baghead and Nerfmonkey.

I've been pretty busy with high school over the past few years, but recently time has allowed me to pick it up once again. I've been buying a few guns; I bought the Maverick and Longshot recently, and plan on picking up at least a BBB soon. I'm pretty happy to be back.

There are a few things I changed since my last post. I took all of that hot glue out that held the brass together with the thing in the plunger, and used a piece of the original tubing that was there to help hold it in place.

Posted Image

That's the piece. I put it through the hole and around the brass after sanding out the insides so it would fit so that the plunger tube wouldn't always have a gap between the hole and the brass. It's visible in that picture, but I sanded down the end that isn't glued in to a much thinner OD, so that it would slide in and out a little more smoothly.

Also, I took out the orange plastic tube between the front of the gun and the place where the PETG is fitted into, party because the copper with tape on it was hard to fit and adjust correctly, but also because I didn't want to see orange in those gaps towards the front of the gun.

Posted Image

All that is there is the black electrical tape around the copper, which I thought was a little cooler.

I have a massive AP Art History test tomorrow, so today is for studying. I'll definately have ranges by Wednesday.

Edited by Ice Nine, 30 October 2006 - 06:47 PM.

Rnbw Cln

#8 Lancaster

Lancaster

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:02 PM

So is this barrel part brass, part PETG, and part copper? Or when you said copper did you mean brass?

#9 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:14 PM

So is this barrel part brass, part PETG, and part copper? Or when you said copper did you mean brass?

The barrel is six inches of PETG nested about an inch into five inches of copper tubing. The brass tubing is 3/8" brass, and is used in place of the plastic tube that bridges the plunger with the barrel via the bolt mechanism. The barrel itself has no brass in it; apologies if I confused you by replacing "copper" with "brass" any time I mentioned the actual barrel.

Rnbw Cln

#10 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:28 PM

It doesn't take a genius to read. He said the gun wasn't even together and provided it was, it would have been dark out when you posted, so even if he had darts he couldn't have even estimated.

Great mod by the way.

#11 maverick x

maverick x

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:49 PM

You guys don't have to flame me, I was thinking of doing this mod so I was curious.

#12 Vaega

Vaega

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:54 PM

It's just that the way you asked was disrespectful and insulted his intelligence.

#13 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:42 PM

One final update for today: There were still some problems with the T-piece fitting in well because it was misaligned with the PETG barrel area; it kept coming in too high and catching on the top. I sanded it down to a near point at the end so that the top of the T-piece doesn't do that. It's now sanded down from the base of the T to the tip, and it should prevent more jamming issues with the bolt.

All in all, I think that this mod is shaping up pretty nicely. There have been a few problems along the way, but it doesn't seem like anything that's a cause for major concern or something that can't be solved with a bit of sanding, brass, electrical tape, or hot glue.

I haven't put the gun back together yet with the new sanded T-piece, and I don't plan to tonight. If any more problems arise, they'll have to be dealt with tomorrow.

Rnbw Cln

#14 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:15 PM

I apologize for double posting, but I have a problem right now.

It appears the the gun doesn't want to stay cocked. I pull back the bolt all the way, to the point where the plunger should be catching, but it isn't. I replaced the spring with a MaxShot spring, as I stated earlier. The spring was stretched a little, to accomidate the extra space along the plunger shaft, but I can't imagine that making it uncockable.

Any suggestions?

Rnbw Cln

#15 InkJet

InkJet

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:00 AM

Now, don't try this right away because i'm not sure and I haven't tried a longshot yet, but i know some people have had to cut a few coils off their BBB spring they added in, because when it was compressed, it took up too much space to be pulled back enough to catch. If it is being pulled back enough, but won't catch, maybe you should replace the catch spring with something a little stronger.

But I haven't tried a longshot yet, so i wouldn't try those until someone else confirms what i've said, we wouldn't want your maxshot spring to go to waste. In fact, if it isn't too much trouble, you could try putting the original LS spring back in to see if it's the spring or the gun. But that would probably be a bit complicated.

Edited by InkJet, 02 November 2006 - 12:01 AM.

#16 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:56 AM

Now, don't try this right away because i'm not sure and I haven't tried a longshot yet, but i know some people have had to cut a few coils off their BBB spring they added in, because when it was compressed, it took up too much space to be pulled back enough to catch. If it is being pulled back enough, but won't catch, maybe you should replace the catch spring with something a little stronger.

But I haven't tried a longshot yet, so i wouldn't try those until someone else confirms what i've said, we wouldn't want your maxshot spring to go to waste. In fact, if it isn't too much trouble, you could try putting the original LS spring back in to see if it's the spring or the gun. But that would probably be a bit complicated.

I don't have a BBB, but replacing the catch spring is a great idea. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the problem; That MaxShot spring is pretty hefty.

Rnbw Cln

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users