Photo

Laser Mod For Magstrike?

21 replies to this topic

#1 Streamwave

Streamwave

• Banned
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

Ok, I have been having a sudden crave for a nerf gun and I saw the Magstrike at WAL-MART for 28 dollars.
And I saw it took a magazine-like clip into it and I thought if it would have any mods. Im like 14 and im afraid to take it apart and break it. Could someone tell me if i could put a 1 1/2 inch laser inside of it. Thanks

IM A NOOB SRY
~BlAcKWaVe~

YURA YURA to yuganda sore e kimi no moto e tonde yuke.

In these wavering skies, I will fly to you.

#2 Lance

Lance

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:40 PM

I am the same age, and well a noob aswell. I tried to modify my maverick and failed so, you will probally fail if this is your first modification. The only gun I can modify is the nitefinder..

#3 LnLKing

LnLKing

• Banned
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:41 PM

I would try to use the rail and offset the laser so the clip won't get in the way.
This is my rifle there are many like it but this one is mine. Without me my rifle is nothing without my rifle I am nothing.AMEN.
SEMPER FI BIATCH!

If you want peace, prepare for war.

"To All Who Enter, May All Hope Be Lost..."

#4 Streamwave

Streamwave

• Banned
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:42 PM

I would try to use the rail and offset the laser so the clip won't get in the way.

Could you be more speciffic? what is a rail and an offset?
~BlAcKWaVe~

#5 meiser5

meiser5

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:46 PM

Just duct-tape the laser to the side of the gun, that way you dont need to open up the gun or destroy another gun for the clip mount.

Meiser--- B)

///EDIT/// Why do you need the laser anyway? Dont point it in anybody's eyes... :ph34r:

Edited by meiser5, 23 October 2006 - 06:46 PM.

Account Suspension Notification

[DYE]Terminator[gen],
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you. Shindig doesn't like you either. You watch yourself, we're wanted men. I have the death sentence on 12 systems.
Talio---

#6 Streamwave

Streamwave

• Banned
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:52 PM

///EDIT/// Why do you need the laser anyway? Dont point it in anybody's eyes... :ph34r:
[/quote]

Im just a noob, im learning to mod step by step
~BlAcKWaVe~

#7 TT

TT

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:07 PM

Well if you have the desire to learn to mod step by step, I'd recommend starting off with modding a NiteFinder. They are inexpensive, they teach you basic modding techniques, and a lot of newer modders started off with NFs. I just don't think putting a laser pen in a Magstrike would be a valuable learning tool for future mods. You can go for it anyway though.

Edited by //T\\, 23 October 2006 - 07:07 PM.

#8 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:27 PM

Please, PLEASE don't put a "lazer" on an automatic blaster. btw, 12 is LIKE 14. Be thankful I'm not an admin......yet......
I hate you.

#9 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:06 PM

Please, PLEASE don't put a "lazer" on an automatic blaster. btw, 12 is LIKE 14. Be thankful I'm not an admin......yet......

OMC: Want my hammer?

Listen to the members, new guys.

Streamwave; if you haven't any Nerf blasters yet, buy a Nite Finder first. They're only six bucks, and they are as basic a plunger gun modification as you can get. The mod write-up is in the modification section off of the main page.

It doesn't get any more basic then that. If you cannot do that mod, you'd best reconsider modifying anything until you're a bit older/ more confident. Mavericks, Magstrikes, Fireflys, LongShots...those are actually what I'd consider "skilled" modifications. Most first-timers will make their blasters worse or break them because of the complexity of the mods.

If you buy the MagStrike, enjoy it in it's stock form. And that includes not installing a "lazer". If you must, meiser's advice to duct-tape it to the side is the best thing to do, then you can take it off when you realize it's useless.

And don't need to tell any of us that you're a "noob". We know who's new here and who's not. Even some who say they're not new to Nerf are not the brightest bulbs in the box.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#10 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:37 PM

The laser pointer looks really cool but it doesn't really have much effect due to the range of the gun... If you do a mod like ForsakenAngel's Magstrike mod then it would kinda be worth it.

#11 Mat

Mat

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:26 AM

Hey "lazer" pointers are sexy and I am not! just saying that becuase I have one on every one of my guns

and yes im 14 too >.<

#12 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:27 AM

Just because you are young doesn't mean you're stupid, or that you're ideas are. It also doesn't excuse stupidity or immaturity. Yeas a laser sight looks cool, but it can also be very dangerous. Police who see a laser dot don't assume Nerf guns with a laser pointer duct taped to the side, they assume real guns. Even if you don't point it at the police you can still damage somebody's eye very quickly.

Sure it looks cool, but it doesn't do anything other than look cool, and it can be quite dangerous. Laser sights don't do much due to the limited range of Nerf guns.

At Nerfhaven, new people get treated the same as the old when they make mistakes, new people just make them more often. Being young and new to the forums doesn't allow you any extra room to screw up. The way The Infinite Shindig is these days you're probably under more scrutiny in the first few months for stupid topics. Asking about a laser sight on a Magstrike is not going to get you banned. Consistantly hiding behind your youth and "n00bishness" as an excuse for whatever offense, imagined or otherwise, will.

An 8-year-old can add as much to a topic as a college student if they're willing to think through things, being twelve or fourteen or a n00b doesn't make any difference if you insist on quality from yourself. If you make yourself do well, you'll do well. If you settle for less, you'll get less.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#13 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:35 PM

But you can just go to the dollar store or something and buy one of those cheap ones... For indoor wars they are pretty good, good enough to go more than 50 feet and not powerful enough to blind anyone.

#14 LnLKing

LnLKing

• Banned
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:58 PM

Could you be more speciffic? what is a rail and an offset?

The rail on the gun itself and offset is when you take a attachament and set it off to the side instead of down the middle.
This is my rifle there are many like it but this one is mine. Without me my rifle is nothing without my rifle I am nothing.AMEN.
SEMPER FI BIATCH!

If you want peace, prepare for war.

"To All Who Enter, May All Hope Be Lost..."

#15 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:11 PM

Why do all of the older members make fun of the 13-15 year olds?

For god sakes if you nerf and your like 25 then thats your problem. Nerf is meant for kids 8-11 years old and if you mod then it goes to 11 years old +.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#16 InkJet

InkJet

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:30 PM

Well, it really depends how smart you are. Being a 14 year old myself, I started also with a NF, which worked fine. Of course, i modded the gun with CPVC before i realized my foam didn't even fit in it :lol: .

Tried a maverick and failed miserable, i did the "foaminator 3000" mod, don't try it, it didn't work for me.

Modded another NF, modded a maverick successfully, did forsaken_angel's magstrike mod, and now, I've completed my own GNS (one of boltsniper's guns). Of course, i do have a fully decked out workshop and a new mill & lathe, that helps too :P

Before you add a barrel, make sure your foam fits inside it, that was a hard lesson. But don't try anything too complex, just begin with barrel replacement on a NF, and work your way up the the magstrike, In fact, i found the magstrike easier to put back together than the NF, no catch springs flying everywhere!

#17 Streamwave

Streamwave

• Banned
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:07 PM

Well, it really depends how smart you are. Being a 14 year old myself, I started also with a NF, which worked fine. Of course, i modded the gun with CPVC before i realized my foam didn't even fit in it :lol: .

Tried a maverick and failed miserable, i did the "foaminator 3000" mod, don't try it, it didn't work for me.

Modded another NF, modded a maverick successfully, did forsaken_angel's magstrike mod, and now, I've completed my own GNS (one of boltsniper's guns). Of course, i do have a fully decked out workshop and a new mill & lathe, that helps too :P

Before you add a barrel, make sure your foam fits inside it, that was a hard lesson. But don't try anything too complex, just begin with barrel replacement on a NF, and work your way up the the magstrike, In fact, i found the magstrike easier to put back together than the NF, no catch springs flying everywhere!

Bold = WTH is that?
~BlAcKWaVe~

#18 meiser5

meiser5

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:12 PM

But you can just go to the dollar store or something and buy one of those cheap ones... For indoor wars they are pretty good, good enough to go more than 50 feet and not powerful enough to blind anyone.

I believe that the package of ANY laser pointer has a warning stating...

Warning: Do not point directly into eyes, may cause corneal damage...

Know don't get me wrong, you won't think your destroying your eyes, but when your forty and you can't even see your hand in front of your face, you'll think back to that time when you shot a dollar store lazer into your eyes one to many times and thought nothing would happen...

Back on topic, really why do we need lasers anyway... I think it is pointless to put a laser into any nerf gun, especially if the gun only shoots thirty or forty feet. If you want to put something into your gun, do the nightfinder flashlight mod, it is cool, and it is practical in a night war. I did it and I am very happy with the results.

Meiser--- :lol:

Edited by meiser5, 26 October 2006 - 03:17 PM.

Account Suspension Notification

[DYE]Terminator[gen],
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you. Shindig doesn't like you either. You watch yourself, we're wanted men. I have the death sentence on 12 systems.
Talio---

#19 Megamannt92

Megamannt92

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:12 AM

There is no point to a laser on and automatic weapon.
Your counting on rate of fire not accuracy...Unless you intend to blind your foes and fire at their face.. :( :D Just kidding. Thats just evil.
Muaha! We aint' no Geocity anymore. Join here! The Foam Universe!

#20 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:56 AM

If you were to add a laser sight to a magstrike you are going to want the pen slightly above the rails. I noticed the gun tends to fire darts on an angle upwards, especially after modding it.

Sure the clip is going to get in the way of the laser but before you unload a clip you will have an idea on where the darts are going.

I can see this being a semi good idea if your magstrike shoots 60+ feet.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#21 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:32 AM

I believe that the package of ANY laser pointer has a warning stating...

Warning: Do not point directly into eyes, may cause corneal damage...

Know don't get me wrong, you won't think your destroying your eyes, but when your forty and you can't even see your hand in front of your face, you'll think back to that time when you shot a dollar store lazer into your eyes one to many times and thought nothing would happen...

Back on topic, really why do we need lasers anyway... I think it is pointless to put a laser into any nerf gun, especially if the gun only shoots thirty or forty feet. If you want to put something into your gun, do the nightfinder flashlight mod, it is cool, and it is practical in a night war. I did it and I am very happy with the results.

Meiser--- :(

Yes, it does harm the eyes but it does not instantly make you blind (that's what I though it did... I was really young). I aimed it in my eyes because I was a fucking dumbass a few years ago. Now, I have to wear glasses with 300/300. I am really pissed.

If the Nitefinder laser goes in your eyes will that effect them in any way?

#22 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:22 AM

The NiteFinder sight is just a glorified red flashlight like the Lazer fang and Eagle Eye before it, it's just the best version so far of that kind of sight. I still think a laser sight is probably not the best idea for a Nerf gun. The maverick mod is cool, the idea of a magstrike with laser is cool, but I just think it's got too much potential to hurt someone. But I'm a little paranoid.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users