Frames

Ugh!

8 replies to this topic

#1 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 03:18 PM

I'm new to HTML and I can't figure out frames. I've read all the tutorials and I still just can't get 'em to work on my site. Can anybody help me out?

Example: This is what I type, but the page is still blank.

<html>
<head>
<title>Nick's Page</title>
</head>
<frameset rows="50,*">
<framename="default" src="default.htm">
<framename="navigation" src="navigation.htm">
</frameset>
</html>
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#2 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 04:00 PM

Well, for starters you need a space in the frame tag:

<frame name="default" src="default.htm">

Additionally, I'd put some kind of path on the file, just to make it explicit. If your default.htm file is in the same directory, it would look like:

<frame name="default" src="./default.htm">
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#3 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 04:11 PM

i'm not quite sure if you need it, but i've always used a <body> after my </head> and a </body> before </html>
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#4 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 04:28 PM

Well, for starters you need a space in the frame tag:

<frame name="default" src="default.htm">

Additionally, I'd put some kind of path on the file, just to make it explicit. If your default.htm file is in the same directory, it would look like:

<frame name="default" src="./default.htm">

Oh great, now I really feel like a fucking retard. :lol:

All I need was a damn space.
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#5 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 05:38 PM

Let me tell you how to use frames....don't. It's one way to make your page look really amaturish. I've used them from time to time, and I've found that the resolution from machine to machine differs enough that even the slightest tweek could destroy any form of order your site once had. I perfer to use invisible tables myself, you get the same level of organization, while still allowing all of your content to be on one page making it easier to update. This is just my personal opinion, I've never had luck with frames and they just seem very spotty.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#6 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 11:51 AM

...even the slightest tweek could destroy any form of order your site once had. I perfer to use invisible tables myself, you get the same level of organization, while still allowing all of your content to be on one page making it easier to update. This is just my personal opinion, I've never had luck with frames and they just seem very spotty.

Talio.

You can say that again. I decided to make a page, but since my home directory didn't get cluttered, I made a directory called "Reviews". So, when I put my link up on my "Reviews" page, I labeled it

<a href="home\reviews\at2000.htm">Airtech 2000</a>

So, it worked, and I thought, "Great!, this is easier than I thought!". So, I decided to do a review on the AT4k. I did the same thing...

<br><a href="home\reviews\at4000.htm">Airtech 4000</a>

So, I tried it, and now it's all screwed up. Now none of the reviews work. *sigh*
I don't get it.
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#7 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 08:06 PM

Man it's been too long since I hard coded a website, I'm friggin rusty as hell. Now if you have any questions about high level programing, I probably have you covered there.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#8 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 12:59 PM

Yeah, it's pretty rough, I got it all worked out now. I'm going to experiment with frames until I get better at this HTML stuff.
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#9 Howard

Howard

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 01:12 AM

HTML is for losers.. Meaning? I'm a loser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users