Nerf Shotgun

Specialized Combat Shotgun - Nerf

370 replies to this topic

#1 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 01:50 PM

I'm trying to make a nerf shotgun, and I'm open to suggestions. Zero, if you're reading, I ask permission for your genius silencer design, and Boltsniper for his brilliant trigger system.

When I say "Shotgun," I'm referring to the way the weapon loads shells into a magazine below the barrel and how the pump cycles the weapon. The design is similar to Boltsniper's SCAR-N.

One more thing, I'm a noob. Deal with it.

Edit: There is an update on this project at the bottom of page 20.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 29 August 2007 - 04:17 PM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#2 mav3r1c

mav3r1c

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 01:59 PM

Uh, I have a question. Why would you want a silencer for a shotty? I worked out how the shells would load into the chamber and stuff, I don't really know how the pump would work. I'll try and get a pic of how to do the cylinder mag on the bottom (or top, which ever you prefer). I intend to use 3 different types of ammo, and this is why I would use shells. My first type of ammo are slugs, straight up 5/8 stefans. These would go teh farthest (obviously). The second type of ammo is kind of difficult to explain. It consists of chopped up stefans and two 1/2 in. to 1 in. stefans (I mean length not thickness). In bewteen those would be chopped up stefans (small pieces). It would be a flurry (again, obviously) but have no distance, its really just for affect (and coolness factor, not really practical). I have tested this types with a blow gun, and it does actually work. And thirdly, a spread type. 6 1/2 in. (my shells are 3 in. long I may shorten though so that my magazine has a higher capacity) long 5/8 stefans. I also tested this and it works beautifully.

Edited by mav3r1c, 24 October 2006 - 07:23 PM.

#3 Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse

• Banned
  • 487 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 02:16 PM

Uh, I have a question. Why would you want a silencer for a shotty?

He wants to make a unique mod. He is trying to be creative and I think that a silencer would look and (hopefully) work well.
QUOTE(Brass @ Jul 6 2007, 10:30 PM) View Post

QUOTE(keef @ Jul 6 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post

Yeah, I'm in the same case as Substance Abuse...
Brass, ask your mother.

She said your dad owes her three dollars.

#4 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 02:21 PM

Is your shotgun going to fire off multiple darts? Or is it just going to work like a shotgun?

Post some pictures if you decide your going to make it. I have though about making a shotgun that would shoot off multiple darts. What I came up with was one big cylinder with multiple shells loaded in it, then when you shot it, all the darts would come out of those shells. But I don't think that would work too well because it would ranges of no more than 20', which makes it pointless unless your rushing a group or somthing.

#5 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 02:41 PM

What I came up with was one big cylinder with multiple shells loaded in it, then when you shot it, all the darts would come out of those shells. But I don't think that would work too well because it would ranges of no more than 20', which makes it pointless unless your rushing a group or somthing.

Unless you took something like 3 of boltsniper's FAR or SCAR-N chambers all strapped togeather and operated by one mechanisim. But then that might take a whole ton of force and use some kinda weird magazine. 2 barrels might be plausable though.

And if you could get pictures put up or give us a better idea of what you're doing, that would be great. I'm also realitively sure that you don't need to ask for permission (if you never do get it) from the people who post designs up here, they are well aware that if they post their methods on a forum like this then everyone can see how they did something and copy it. Not that giving them credit isn't expected, you should do that.

#6 Spartan064

Spartan064

• Banned
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:25 PM

Oh darn, I thought for a second that you were actually going to try to create a shotgun that shoots sprays of darts or something.
"Giggity!" - Quagmire

#7 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:46 PM

Long cylinder to hold the darts with a spring in it to push the darts forward and a triagular ramp at the front of the cylinder that is beveled in so the darts are pushed up. Now, basically saw the bottom of the LS off clear up from the front where the magazines go in. Put the cylinder there with the opening and the triagular peice pointed to the bolt. Add the shotgun grip mod and you have a shotgun style gun. This was my first homemaede idea, and now that I am pretty fluent in CADD, I think I will attempt some designs. This would have to be a free time in class kinda thing...unless I can find my old 2000 LT version around here. So, I might not have time to do this all the way.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#8 Nerfnewbie

Nerfnewbie

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:24 PM

For the pump you could make it so when you push it back it pushes the dart up and it also opens a breech, then pussing it forwarl would lower the platform, (or whatever you use to raise up the dart), and close the breech. You might have to link the pump to the breech externaly though, which ouldn't lok very good.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < )

Behold. Helping Bunny on his way, one signiture at a time.

#9 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:17 PM

Great okay you guys, we all know how a shotgun works. Put your darts or shells in below the barrel/pressure chamber, they move into the barrel when you cock it, then fire and repeat.

So since now we all know how it works, let's get to mechanics, shall we?

IE: Darts move into the barrel when you cock it.
Okay, how the flip are we going to do that? Anyone? I'm thinking a ramp, but it's gunna be hard to seal it with both the pressure chamber and the pump moving forward from behind.

Also, I don't think anyone wants to saw off the bottom of an LS.

Sorry if this post seemed brash, I'm just trying to move things along. I've been pondering a shotty for a while now, too.

EDIT: Cpeeloing.

Edited by Flaming Hilt, 23 October 2006 - 07:19 PM.

" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#10 Lancaster

Lancaster

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:32 PM

:ph34r:

#11 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:22 PM

I'm trying to make a nerf shotgun, and I'm open to suggestions.

If you're new to this, you really should begin by buying yourself some Nerf blasters and actually shootin' them around a bit. If you're scratchbuilding, start with something a little more manageable, like Carbon's SNAP series. Too many start out with huge visions and don't get very far.

Trust me, you don't want me going there. I'll let this one go, because I want to see you make something.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#12 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:25 PM

Now that I've finally got back to my computer, I'll elaborate.

First, the term "shotgun" in my title only reffers to how the weapon loads. If I wanted to fire multiple shots, I would need a sabot or something, and that's really not a design I can get into right now. To load the shells, I was going to use a carrier in front of the magazine. For those of you who have shotguns, this idea will probably be familiar. If not, then visit this website (http://science.howst...om/shotgun5.htm). Towards the bottom of the page, there will be a box titled "pump-action shotguns." If you play all the way through that, and study both the tab on loading and the tab on firing and ejecting, then my concept will be broken down for you.

Next, my ammunition problems. Since I am planning to use shells for this weapon, I am trying to borrow the design that boltsniper used for his SCAR-N. Those shells and stefan darts should give me some good ammo. To keep the shell and dart from sliding out of the barrel, I will use a rotating-bolt lockup unit like the ones found in shotguns, assault rifles, and the SCAR-N. this will provide the basis for me to both hold and extract the shell. The weapon can be cycled by connecting an operating rod to the pump grip and the other end to the bolt. If you look at the bolt concept of the SCAR-N, you can see the nail sticking through the side. That should be what I connect the rod to.

I want to make a practical, compact, yet sturdy design so my gun doesn't fall apart if I slam-fire or am rough with the pump. The silencer is for quiet shots if the weapon has a decent-enough range for "sn1per" operations. I would be grateful if I even got 20' on the first attempt, seeing as this is my first homemade. I promise you guys out there that as soon as I get my scanner working, I'll put up one of my rough sketches on here for you to all see what I'm talking about. If you have any ideas or alterations after visiting the HowStuffWorks page, then I'm all for your suggestions. I'll need them to make sure my idea holds water before I go off and build a failure.

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 27 October 2006 - 03:14 PM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

#13 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:09 PM

Also, I don't think anyone wants to saw off the bottom of an LS.

No, I don't think anyone WANTS to saw off the bottom of an LS at all. So, instead of having every fucking thing I say on here be turned around just like that, instead of looking at it the way I meant, I will do this, and you all can stare and post 24/7 asking how the hell I made it, make a write-up please please please, I want one, make me one, sell them.....If you all think you can do it, then look at it...firgure it out, and do it crists sake.

All I meant in my preivious post, was that you would just be replacing the clip on the LS, with a long horizontal tube with a ramp in the rear and spring in the tube to push and guid the darts up.

It's that simple.

I don't know why you had to say that I meant you had to cut a LS up.

So, read my whole post and see if maybe there are any ways to replicate the LS and add my idea to it! Oh my godzorz! It would be a pump action rifle with a loading system similar to a pump action shotgun!

I hate reading a topic, sharing a perfectly fine idea and having someone say the obvious out of it.

For once, read and think how to can make it happen before asking someone. It's like putting a quarter in a pop machine. It says to insert a quarter...you all would much rather post something asking how you would do it, is it possible, has it been done? Come on people, they put a 13 year age limit on these forums for a reason.

#14 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:09 PM

Right. Sorry I misinterpreted.

- - -

Shadow Hunter --

I can't believe I forgot about howstuffworks.com. Thanks for the reminder. : oD

I'm a little confused about the reload system. I understand there's that the carrier and carrier dog, and that the carrier dog moves the carrier which in turn moves the shell into the firing position. What I don't understand is how the carrier and the dog are connected. Because the carrier has to move up as the dog is pushed forward. Unless the dog was on a slide under the carrier and slipped underneath it -- but it looks more like the dog is on a pivot.

The one tip I can give you on your first homemade is this: don't be afraid to go overboard on spring strength. That's what got me. : o` Of course, don't break your gun, either...
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
V

#15 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 03:49 PM

I had the same question you did, Flaming Hilt. Instead of dismantling a real shotgun, or spending days over how the carrier and carrier dog were connected, I decided to re-design the piece. I have an idea that if I make the carrier out of a piece of aluminum or PVC, I can attach it at a single point in front of the trigger guard inside the gun. I would then attach a spring that would force the carrier up to meet the bolt, but have no carrier dog. Instead, there will be a separate piece above the carrier and attached to the bolt that looks like a mini-replica of the carrier. It will have a more powerful spring so that when the piece, which I will now call a depression tab, is depressed, the extra force of the spring will compress the carrier with it and force it into the resting position. When the pump moves the bolt back, the depression tab will fold upwards as it and the bolt travel backwards, allowing the carrier to flip upwards to load a shell. Another beefit of this design is the ability to load shells into the magazine without moving the pump, since the force with which I load the shell will counteract and negate the force of the depression tab spring. When the shell is all the way in the magazine, the depression tab spring will put the carrier back in resting position. I know this is hard to understand without a diagram, but I'll be able to hook up a scanner to my laptop within the next couple days and start posting some rough designs to work with. If you want, print them out and pencil in some modifications, and repost them up here for me to see. It'll be a lot easier to design this homemade if I have some veterans' advice.

P.S.: If you have no idea what the hell I'm talking about, go to howstuffworks.com and search for "how shotguns work". Look for the page about the loading system and use the interactive feature designed on Macromedia Flash Player to go to the slide on the carrier. You'll see the carrier dog, the piece that I intend to move.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 27 October 2006 - 03:14 PM.

#16 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:07 PM

Okay, I think I understand what you're saying. It'll obviously be eaier once you get the diagrams up.

Another thing we could do is just attach a string to the carrier that goes straight up and pivots around a wheel (or a screw will work fine), and connect that to the pump so that when the pump is retracted, it pulls back on the string which pivots around the wheel and then pulls up on the carrier. Although, working with string is pesky. Once I see your idea, my preferences may change.

One more question: Does the carrier have to go up, down, and recieve another shell all in one pump? Elaborating on my string method, the shell would have to load as the carrier goes up (or we could loosen the string a few inches). Maybe I'll go look at howstuffworks.com again and see if I can't figure it out.

Thanks,
FH
V

#17 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 06:22 PM

Posted Image

This is the hand-drawn version of my design. It shows a rough plan of what I intend to do. If you read my last post, you'll understand what the depression tab is and where it is here. Anyway, now that you have an idea of what I'm doing, I hope you understand what I will be talking about. This image should help to clear up some of the confusion.

Special thanks to LastManAlive for educating my stupid ass on photo embedding

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 26 October 2006 - 08:02 PM.

#18 Megamannt92

Megamannt92

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:43 PM

Modify the post. The pic is not working.

Is it going to be a pump action? That would be cool.
Muaha! We aint' no Geocity anymore. Join here! The Foam Universe!

#19 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:04 PM

The gun is, in fact, fully pump-operated. Now that I have the picture working, you can see the pump in the front on the bottom tube, which would be the magazine. It is small because I didn't draw this particular diagram to scale. I'm also thinking about cutting a thin strip out of the bottom of the magazine tube and refitting the hole with something clear like Plexiglass, only much stronger. I already found out that using Plexiglass in a major part of a homemade can cause breaks and failures in a design like mine. (Third-person witness to second-hand stupidity). If any of you know where I can get a tube of the material I'm describing that fits the size shell boltsniper used in his SCAR-N, PM me and give me the store name.

P.S.: Forgot to mention that I don't need a spring for the bolt if the pump will be cnonnected directly to it. Also, those 2 things on the front of the weapon are a silencer and an LED flashlight for CQB operations. (Close quarters battle)

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 16 July 2007 - 02:26 PM.

#20 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:35 PM

Actually, I plan to just make it a dart loader.

You would pump to cock the gun, and open a breech on the barrel.

The spring in the ammo resivour (like I said, a tube) pushes a dart up the ramp, into the breech, and the pump comes forward, closing the breech, and stoping other darts from going in. I plan to make the breech have the least room possible for a dart to get caught, thus I am going with 1/2 or 9/16ths over 17/32s since my darts fit tight in that and it will be spring powered.

The thing really holding me back, is the actual gun part. The pump is all that has me inthusiastic about this gun.

My other project is the halo 2 beam rifle. I plan to power it via a blade paintball gun. It will be more of a neat project than a real thing project. It will be loaded via brrech since the blade is pump action, but the sights aka scope will be a video blue crappy camera that I found. I will have to extend the wires, but the viewport will go above the handle, and the camera will be mounted on the end of the barrel. Like I said, it will be more of a neat kinda project. If it is sturdy enough, I might use it some.

Back on the shotgun, I will have to investigate the clothsepin trigger and see how sturdy it would be for fast-action loading and firing. I want something easy to make the project funner, but something that will hold up. I really would LOVE to use a thin pump action in a war.

#21 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:08 PM

Not exactly related to my plan, but a clothespin trigger usually works more effectively when the plunger can be located directly above it. The design I have has the plunger at least 15cm back from the trigger, so a design like the SCAR-N trigger system would probably be better.

However, getting back to the idea of a mag-fed pump-action, your idea for reducing excess room near the bolt is something I've been thinking about. If you know how a shotgun works, then you know how the carrier works. The depression tab in my design has to be built so that the tab won't come down until the shell is already loaded in the breech. If you come up with anything, let me know.

#22 Megamannt92

Megamannt92

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:05 AM

Nice drawing. But how big will the gun really be?
Will multiple darts fit in each shell?

The silencer is for quiet shots if the weapon has a decent-enough range for loser operations.

I thought you might want to know that "Sn1per" is censored to___> "Loser".

Edited by Megamannt92, 27 October 2006 - 12:06 AM.

Muaha! We aint' no Geocity anymore. Join here! The Foam Universe!

#23 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:11 PM

Nice drawing. But how big will the gun really be?
Will multiple darts fit in each shell?

The gun will, ideally, be no bigger than Boltsniper's SCAR-N. If I incorporate the plunger tube into the stock, then I could theoretically shorten the gun by around 20cm, and also eliminate some durability problems with an attached stock rather than an integrated stock. That little stub you see sticking out of the left part of the drawing was going to be an attached stock, but I scrapped the idea and forgot to erase the part from my sketch.

The gun will have shells, but I don't plan to have multiple projectiles per shot. It will be a slug-gun type weapon, like I said earlier. In order to fire off multiple shots, I would need to involve sabots or something of the like, and that would only be as a proof of concept attempt. Multiple pellets wouldn't go very far anyway, so it would almost be pointless for wars that aren't fought in buildings.

#24 Sponge Nerfer

Sponge Nerfer

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 05:00 PM

Very nice idea, I think that you have a good thing going here. Only thing I can say is, no shells. I completely undestand how insanely cool they are and just how much they might make this thing look like a real shot-gun. But I have to say, as far as I can see (which is not very far when it comes to real guns) shells are used in a real gun to hold both the bullet and a measured portion of gunpowder. This way you dont have to add more gunpowder every time you want to shoot greatly increasing rate of fire. This does not apply in nerf, there is no gunpowder, and so this whole thing would be greatly simplified if you did not use shells. If you are confident that you know what you are doing and think you can pull it off with shells, then by all means do not let me stop you. I have seen these projects come and go, ones like bolt-sn1pers and carbons stand out because they worked. If you want to start making these guns than I think you should try to simply get the thing going simple and move on to the complicated stuff later. Unless you have a heck of a lot of expierience with this than I would say you should make it as simple as possible for yourself at the time-being.

-sponge
When in doubt, make a huge nerf cannon of death.

#25 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:28 PM

I understand where you're coming from, sponge, but I am using shells for a completely different reason. For the design I have, the darts have to be stacked end-to-end in the horizontal magazine tube. If I were to put plain darts in there, they would get bent and creased by the mag-spring's force. The shells are used only as a sort of insurance to make sure my ammo doesn't get screwed up before the first shot. Plus, the shells provide a surface for the mag-spring to contact. Otherwise, an unshielded spring might dig into the hot-glue tip of my stefan and mess up the entire mag system. Trust me, if there was a simpler, yet more effective way to do this, I would be modifying my design already. (Plus, shells do look kinda cool. But that's another story.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users