Creating A Combat Robot

Need help with some things

2 replies to this topic

#1 murakumo32

murakumo32

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:45 AM

In my Physics Design class, I need to create a piloted robot for Monday, October 23rd, 2006. I was given a week to do so, but I've only really made good progess during the weekend. My team & I require help, but we don't have many resources to turn to. So I'm asking for your help.

So here's my question for right now. The robot weighs about 7 lbs, but the motors we have to move the wheels don't work. I can't tell you what kind of motors we have since they were pulled for a remote controlled tank, but they are electric (duh).
What type of electric motor can move the robot at sufficient speeds & to resist being pushed by other robots? By type, I am asking for voltage, current, rpm, and that kind of stuff.

If you know something about building robots or something of the like, please check back on this topic often today. This isn't my only problem, but at the moment, it is. So I ask once again for your help and support.
Nerfing, now fortified with vitamin C!
-or-
100% Nerf, for 100% pwnage.

Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

and they're made of Foam... which makes them very Nerfy...

#2 Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse

• Banned
  • 487 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 01:12 PM

My uncle used to make robots in his spare time... Huge hobby for him. I will call him up but I'm not sure if he still collects/makes bots.

Edit: He to ask if this was your first experiance with a robot. He understands that you are doing it for a project but he justs wants to see how familiar you are with the internals. He said to call him back once I found out.

He has a few suggestions for you though. He said he would Email them to me.

He told me to tell you to go Here.

Edited by Substance Abuse, 22 October 2006 - 01:18 PM.

QUOTE(Brass @ Jul 6 2007, 10:30 PM) View Post

QUOTE(keef @ Jul 6 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post

Yeah, I'm in the same case as Substance Abuse...
Brass, ask your mother.

She said your dad owes her three dollars.

#3 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:29 PM

The lightest weight low-speed motors you can find will be lower voltage motors (3-12vdc) from cassette tape players. They run at a usable speed with plenty of torque so you won't need to gear them. You will probably even be able to use them as a drop-in replacement for the motors that came with the tank.
It's an unreasonable assignment if he only gave you a week and didn't provide any supplies.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 22 October 2006 - 05:38 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users