Photo

RF20 Modding Discussion

11 replies to this topic

#1 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 10:28 AM

In light of the re-release (by TRU) of the RF20, I'm going to do a mod writeup for it. Any suggestions, gripes, etc? I'm definitely taking the rather painful course of barrel replacement and will probably try to do something to increase the pressure delivered to the dart, but I'm not entirely sure. Your thoughts are appreciated...
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#2 Mantis

Mantis

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 11:06 AM

You're going to do a barrel replacement mod??
Make sure you invite me to your funeral.
Personal LCM Summer Tune-Up Stats:
K:H=1.00
Shots Fired: 2.1 x 10^4
Fun had: 97%

#3 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 11:38 AM

I think I've come up with a way to do it that's reasonably practical, if not completely easy. I'll have that phase done either tonight or tomorrow night, depending on how long my linear algebra homework takes... Matrices, determinants, and transformations, oh my!

#4 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 02:28 PM

I like the RF20, I would have to because I have 3 now. :D People sometimes put rubber bands over the air bladder in the WF or the PC, would the same idea help out with the RF20? The point is supposed to be more pressure. I have no idea how these pump automatic guns work, but if you're thinking of modding, I might decide to bust one open and see if I can brainstorm anything (or follow along...) B) Good luck, this is a noble project.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#5 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 03:28 PM

People sometimes put rubber bands over the air bladder in the WF or the PC, would the same idea help out with the RF20? The point is supposed to be more pressure.

That increases the pressure in the 'tank' but the piston mechanism regulates the pressure that actually gets delivered to the dart. Increased tank pressure just increases ROF in the PC/WF/RF20 style guns.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a modification to the piston system which will require a higher pressure buildup before releasing the air to the barrel assembly. Spoon and I conceptualized ways to do this about a year ago for the PC but neither of us (to my knowledge) have implemented it in a way that's completely successful. I think the RF20 actually provides an easier platform for this type of mod because of the space they left around the piston unit.

If successful, this mod will increase dart velocity but decrease ROF so I'd probably combine it with the inner tube over the bladder ROF increase mod.

#6 six-hungry-ducks

six-hungry-ducks

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 03:55 PM

I heard the re-released version will have something added to it. Hopefully, these changes will make it easier to mod.
"It's never the obvious..." -Me
"Trust no one, not even yourself" -Me
"Hey I was watching that!" "It'll be on next Christmas" "Who the hell knows when that's gonna be?" -Peter Griffin

#7 IceAnubis

IceAnubis

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 01:20 AM

I like the RF20, I would have to because I have 3 now.   ^_^   People sometimes put rubber bands over the air bladder in the WF or the PC, would the same idea help out with the RF20?  The point is supposed to be more pressure.  I have no idea how these pump automatic guns work, but if you're thinking of modding, I might decide to bust one open and see if I can brainstorm anything (or follow along...)  B)   Good luck, this is a noble project.

I did that to my powerclip and it didnt advance any more, and it still doesnt. I guess the air goes too fast to advance it. Oh and the re release has nothing new on it I dont think. I have one. Im going to buy about 2 more of them.

#8 LiKnSmAkScOmIn

LiKnSmAkScOmIn

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 02:13 PM

Anubis-make sure the screws are ALL in properly.Mine was doing that, and after i saw a screw was in the wrong angle, I fixed it, and it worked fine after that.

Anyways, lets start with this mod:HOW THE #@$@ DO YOU TAKE THE POLES OUT OF THIS PIECE OF SHIT! No other gun has been this way. I twisteda pole with pliers for almost 30 min, to no avail...
Morons With Guns own you.

#9 SniperWolf

SniperWolf

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 02:50 PM

I fell your pain... I had to take the damn thing apart and cut the pegs out... but then I broke it so I had to buy another one. Noe I have a big ass bag of extra RF20 parts.
My children...They beat me...

...with sticks and buckets.

My wife...she is hairy...

...like sasquatch.

#10 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 03:03 PM

To remove the pegs:

1. open the black part of the case

2. open the silver part of the case

3. pull the barrel assembly out

4. take one screw out of the front of the barrel assembly

5. take five screws out of the back of the barrel assembly

6. seperate the two pieces of the barrel assembly

7. shake vigorously

8. pick up 20 air restrictors/pegs that are scattered all over your floor

#11 serpent sniper

serpent sniper

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 03:56 PM

(optional) Step 9: find some rubber o-rings that are the same size as the pegs and put them in place. I'm not sure if that helps, but I remember that alot of mods said that you should cut out the pegs and leave the little rings to seal the assembly with the barrels...
Animus GmbH My Custom Nerf Props and Paintjobs

#12 LiKnSmAkScOmIn

LiKnSmAkScOmIn

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 07:29 PM

Weird...it shoots worse after I took the pegs out.
I wonder what would happen if someone sanded out the barrels and shoved a crayola or a brass barrel in there.Probably wouldn't come out.

and also, the more i look at the gun, the more it screams "rifle!" at me. Funny how the tube that connects the pump and the air tank acts as a good stock, and the black piece in the back is a place to squish your cheek. Exactly like a rifle. Then again, the gun has no accuracy...
Morons With Guns own you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users