Photo

Crossbow?

13 replies to this topic

#1 l337n3rf3r

l337n3rf3r

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:51 PM

Hey, i found a lot of crossbows on ebay. They are 60.99 buy it nows with 12 dollar shipping. Is it worth that much to buy one?
Wii would like to play with you.

#2 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:10 PM

Frankly, no.
The Longshot is a very worthwhile modern substitute. Or alternatively a BBB or Lanard Blast Bazooka both are competitive with a crossbow in terms of function.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 05 October 2006 - 03:11 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#3 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:12 PM

Most people will argue that the crossbow is the best primary gun in the game. I know that ItallionStallion is looking for 55 for one, and since they are discontinued that is a fair price. You have to know though:
Is it modded?
Has it been used?

If you not good at modding guns and it is not already modded, I would say no, since a stock Xbow is useless in a war. You could get a Big Bad Bow which is another very strong primary on eBay for only 30 + S&H. There are lots of good primaries and I probably wouldn't spend 75$ on a crossbow because you will find rare steals on them for only 35, here and on eBay. If you really want a crossbow it's not outrageous, but if you have another decent primary, hold off a little to get an xbow.

#4 l337n3rf3r

l337n3rf3r

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:27 PM

They have not been used. They are still in the box.
Here's the link. http://cgi.ebay.com/...tem190036796962
Wii would like to play with you.

#5 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:08 PM

Still 70+$ is a bit much. I got my first one for only 30 a year ago. Like I said though, if you don't have a primary and you feel comfortable modding it, go for it.

#6 Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse

• Banned
  • 487 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:31 PM

About the comparison between the Xbow and the LBB, I personally like the LBB a LOT better then an xbow. I mean don't get me wrong, Xbow is sweet and everything but seriously with the modifications that are out there these days, you can easily get a bbb/lbb/titan to shoot WAY farther than an xbow.

Even though the xbow is rare, I dont think it is worth 70 dollars because you can get about 6 LBB's for that price.

I would(in a heartbeat) take 6 LBB's over an Xbow.
QUOTE(Brass @ Jul 6 2007, 10:30 PM) View Post

QUOTE(keef @ Jul 6 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post

Yeah, I'm in the same case as Substance Abuse...
Brass, ask your mother.

She said your dad owes her three dollars.

#7 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:46 PM

[quote name='Substance Abuse' date='Oct 6 2006, 06:31 PM' post='91369']
Xbow is sweet and everything but seriously with the modifications that are out there these days, you can easily get a bbb/lbb/titan to shoot WAY farther than an xbow.
[/quote

I havve yet to see a bbb that shoots "WAY" farther than an xbow and the lbb and titan are pump guns which means they have a slower rate of fire than the xbow. Not to mention the fact that it takes 20 pumps to prime the titan.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#8 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:56 AM

I've only seen one LBB that outranged my xbow, and that one has a unique fluke. I've never seen a 3B hit the 100' mark either, much less go beyond it.

Titans shouldn't be a part of this duscussion...they cheat (lol).

I'd say most people shouldn't be willing to put down $70 for an xbow; it's not really worth it. But if you can find a somewhat more reasonable deal on one, BY ALL MEANS buy it. I can gurantee you you'll fall in love with the gun, whether you consistently use it or not.
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#9 Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse

• Banned
  • 487 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:55 AM

I was basically trying to say what Falcon said. What I meant by "way" better I mean that LBB's can shoot close to the length of an xbow and the price of an LBB is 10 dollars while a xbow is 70. So for the cheap value, I would have to go with the LBB

Edited by Substance Abuse, 07 October 2006 - 12:55 PM.

QUOTE(Brass @ Jul 6 2007, 10:30 PM) View Post

QUOTE(keef @ Jul 6 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post

Yeah, I'm in the same case as Substance Abuse...
Brass, ask your mother.

She said your dad owes her three dollars.

#10 PREDATOR

PREDATOR

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:16 PM

The ebay store that sells those crossbows will put one up for bidding every once and a while. You can usually get them for $40.00-$50.00.
QUOTE(Groove @ Apr 29 2007, 11:03 PM) View Post

Wise man always say, "Arguing on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded."
-Groove

#11 King Of Butt Land

King Of Butt Land

• Banned
  • 324 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:47 PM

Since when do Xbows outshoot Lbb's? I've seen pump plugged Lbb's hit atleast 150.

-Butt

Edited by King Of Butt Land, 07 October 2006 - 02:47 PM.

QUOTE(Puppy-§layer @ Dec 18 2008, 04:22 AM) View Post

This contest may have some flaws, as people can simply be a deuschbag over the internet. By Lying.

A war-like setting/invitational would be better...

#12 Diablo

Diablo

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:08 PM

I've never seen an LBB in use at a war, but from what I gather it may have better range than the Crossbow. But, it's a pump gun. I'm guessing it takes 5-10 pumps to prime it, whereas the crossbow you only have to cock it once. This, combined with it's amazing comfortable-ness and it's ease of integration, lead me to believe that it is better than a LBB.

Range isn't everything, because if it takes you 3 times as long to reload your gun that it takes me, I can run up to you and close the range gap and still shoot you.

In summation, the Crossbow is an amazing gun that I love to use. But, I wouldn't spend $70 on it. Wait til you see one for $50 or less, and then go for it.

-Diablo

NHQ Administrator | www.nerfhq.com

#13 ItalionStallion

ItalionStallion

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:46 PM

Crossbows usually cost around 50-75 dollars. If you are patient you can get one for around $55 (which is what i just sold mine at). But if you are a hurry then it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy it at that price.

Another thing about the crossbow is that they will actually be worth more than what you bought it at when you go to re-sell it. I anticipate the Longshot to be in the market for a good 2-3 years longer, so you shoud have no problems finding them.

Ranges aside, the crossbow is probably the most comfortable gun ever made. From what i've heared about the Longshot is that it is pretty damn bulky. The Crossbow with a few mods isn't going to weigh more than a couple pounds.

#14 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:08 AM

I had a crossbow once...Alas, it is no longer among the living.

I find the Longshot to be extremely comfortable, but then again, I'm freakishly tall. The extended stock shoulders nicely and the range and accuracy are marvelous.

I think the crossbow has achieved a kind of legendary status. I'm not saying it's overrated, because it is indeed a great gun, but I think that because of the huge difference between stock and modified and the ease of modification it has been put on a pedestal of invulnerability. The same thing happened to the Arrowstorm and Chainblazer once long ago.

One thing I see reiterated time and time again on this site is that every weapon has it's purpose and useful situation, and that every weapon has its weakness. The crossbow has huge range and incredible accuracy, but it can still fall to someone with a SSPB if they are sneaky enough.

To bring this beast of a post back around to the topic, $70 for a toy gun is too much for anyone but a staunch collector. There are other weapons that can fill the role that the crossbow monopolized for so long. At this point, given the choice between my longshot and my old crossbow, I would almost certainly choose the Longshot. It wins on comfort, rate of fire, has comparable range and accuracy, and is slightly cheaper.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users