The Navy Is Christening A New Carrier

extremely non-nerf

8 replies to this topic

#1 Backyard Nerfer

Backyard Nerfer

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:32 AM

At the Newport News Shipyard here in VA former President George H.W. is (along with the current President) christening a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier. They say the U.S.S. George H.W. Bush will be the last Nimitz-class aircraft carrier. The Nimitz-class carriers are the largest ships in the world (trust me, I've been on one). I know the Navy will make more carriers, maybe even larger thatn the Nimitz-class ones.
The only thing that gets me high is the truth... and model glue fumes. -Stephen Colbert

#2 mkg91 0

mkg91 0

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:49 AM

Hm... well maybe that is the last Nimitz class carrier around. I heard that there's a chance their gonna retire the carrier altogether. But thats what I heard. They say their making a hybrid carrier but I doubt that.
If quizes are quizicals then what are tests?

#3 Backyard Nerfer

Backyard Nerfer

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:56 AM

A hybrid? What the hell? Well, the cremony is going on as I type, and Donald Rumsfeld is making a speech. Nimitz-class carriers are cool. The flight deck is as long as the Empire State Building is tall.
The only thing that gets me high is the truth... and model glue fumes. -Stephen Colbert

#4 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:14 AM

Hm... well maybe that is the last Nimitz class carrier around. I heard that there's a chance their gonna retire the carrier altogether. But thats what I heard. They say their making a hybrid carrier but I doubt that.

Work has already begun on building the carriers that pertained to the CVN-21 project. The first carrier from this group is scheduled for completion in 2008. The carrier will not be going away anytime soon.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#5 mkg91 0

mkg91 0

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:52 AM

Thats what I thought well that teaches me to trust the History channel. :o
If quizes are quizicals then what are tests?

#6 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:10 AM

This is intersting.

<Looks other way waiting for VeggieBoy>

#7 VeggieBoy 3000

VeggieBoy 3000

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:44 PM

Last year one of the guys who was in charge of designing the next carrier series came and talked in my government class. They are gonna be pretty sweet, even crazier than the nimitz. Carriers are like one of the biggest parts of the Navy, so they definitely aren't going anywhere.
Go NAVY! Beat ARMY!

#8 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:39 PM

Yea that carrier is gunna be the last one in the Nimitz class of carriers. The ones after that though are gunna be really sweet, they have really cool features like an electro-magnetic acceleration system for launching airplanes off the ship (they use steam powered ones now)

On a side note: Did you guys know that the French came up with the idea of the aircraft carrier? Yea I know that we all hate the French but they have come up with some pretty nifty stuff; like the atm machine. And although they like never use it, their military is pretty technologicaly advanced (their future soldier system/program beats the hell outta the US's)
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#9 Backyard Nerfer

Backyard Nerfer

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:18 PM

Y'know, the Frogs' military ability would be severly hindered if their white flag factory was destroyed. Yeah, the French did make some cool stuff, like the FAMAS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users