Photo

Types Of Piping

Look Here

12 replies to this topic

Poll: Which type of piping do you use? (55 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one do you use most?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Grenado

Grenado

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:53 PM

What is the difference in each of these? What are the benefits and which guns are they best suited for?
I am wondering which one works best for pisotls, automatics, BBBs, and longshots. I'm looking at these guns specifically: RF 20, Magstrike, NF, longshot, and a BBB. Also, which ones are the most durable? I have heard of crayola, brass, PVC, CPVC, and PEX. What is the big difference between CPVC and PVC?

#2 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:28 PM

What is the big difference between CPVC and PVC?
Size.

Brass is nice because it comes in 1/32" increments.

Only use crayola if you really want to. CPVC is way cheaper. Brass is a little more but I think it works better.

CPVC or PVC are the most durable.

Conclusion: Use whatever fits your darts best.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#3 navy seal

navy seal

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:35 PM

I use cpvc for all of my guns and it works great for all of them. I stretch my foam before I make my darts so its loose enogh in pump guns and tight enough for spring guns. If you want to use stock darts use crayolas and pvc, but if you want to use stefans use brass or cpvc.

The two reasons I don't use brass are: I can't find it anywhere and its expensive. I can buy 10' of cpvc for the price of one foot of brass.

The difference between cpvc and pvc is the size. 1/2" pvc is really 5/8" inner diameter and 1/2" cpvc is 1/2" inner diameter. Also they have different uses in plumbing.
Played in 110 countries
Bigger than rugby
Bigger than snowboarding
Bigger than surfing.......Paintball

#4 PREDATOR

PREDATOR

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:48 PM

I use cpvc ,but I think I'm going to try brass.

Edited by PREDATOR, 02 October 2006 - 09:49 PM.

QUOTE(Groove @ Apr 29 2007, 11:03 PM) View Post

Wise man always say, "Arguing on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded."
-Groove

#5 Black Blade

Black Blade

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:34 PM

Well I really think the best answer to this question will allways be "Whatever fits your darts best" You really just have to expirment what fits best.

#6 Paloose

Paloose

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:12 PM

I use stock taggers so I nest 17/32" brass in pvc for air guns and I nest 1/2" brass in pvc for spring guns.

#7 Shadow 92

Shadow 92

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:46 PM

A three-step nested brass barrel would be your best bet for your Big Bad Bow or Longshot (if you figure out how to do that with a LS). But for air powered guns use PETG if it fits your darts. It's supposedly smoother on the inside than other barrel materials but is harder to find than brass or CPVC. If you want more information on the nested brass barrels I mentioned earlier check out the Darts and Barrels article.

#8 InkJet

InkJet

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:43 PM

Shadow, I just tried the 3 step nesting thing, with the exact sizes you posted, and got worse range than my simply cpvc barreled BBB. It seems the cpvc modded BBB got about 10 feet more than the 3 step nested BBB. The three step got about the same range as my carrtoon's breech modded BBB, but my breech mod makes a faster ROF, so maybe i just was unlucky or should try it on a more powerful spring gun. I'll keep the barrel to try in another though. In case you're wondering, i don't have 3 BBBs, i just swapped the barrels around :rolleyes:

#9 Shadow 92

Shadow 92

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:50 PM

Shadow, I just tried the 3 step nesting thing, with the exact sizes you posted, and got worse range than my simply cpvc barreled BBB. It seems the cpvc modded BBB got about 10 feet more than the 3 step nested BBB.

Hmm... That's unusual. How did your dart fit in the 9/32'' brass? It might have been that your darts are too loose or too tight. If that's true just switch to a different size. How was your seal batween the barrel and the plunger? You said that you rebarreled it three times. Maybe the brass barrel had a bad seal. Anyway, if you decide to keep the CPVC barrel congrats on finding the right barrel materialfor your darts. :rolleyes:

#10 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:52 PM

What is PEX? Is it the same as PTEG?

#11 Shadow 92

Shadow 92

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:12 PM

Google

Cross-linked polyethylene. PEX tubing is commonly used for hydronic radiant floor heat, but increasingly also used for water supply lines. Stronger than PE.
www.alpha-plumbing.com/plumbing-terminology-p.htm

I think it's the clear tubing with grey cross-links stuff I saw at Home Depot. It isn't hard and can be bent like vinyl tubing.

#12 deathwolf

deathwolf

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:31 PM

I belive the reason the nesting didn't work is because nesting is best for air guns, where the gap gives the air more room to expand. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

And I tend to use PVC or CPVC, cause it's durable and cheap.
BROOD XIII

#13 InkJet

InkJet

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:36 PM

Well, it has a sliding fit in 9/16" brass, and i have to twist it into the 17/32" brass, which i'm assuming is the correct fit. My options for barrels are using brass, and using the FBR that's 2.50 for 20 feet, or use CPVC, and use FBR that's 3.50 for 20 feet. A bit of a trade off, but I'm liking CPVC cause it gets a perfect vacuum suck fit, so if i didn't use a breech, i wouldn't even need a ram rod. I'll experiment with the 3 step nesting though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users