Help With Longshot?

What's wrong??

6 replies to this topic

#1 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:15 PM

I did a spring replacement with a nf replacement spring. Here are the dimensions: 7/8" x 4" x .080".
Now, the gun will not catch. I'm almost positive all the pieces are in their correct spots.
Do I need to cut down the spring or something? SPU said he cut 4 loops off of his spring, but I don't know how big his was.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 LnLKing

LnLKing

• Banned
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:21 PM

It is doughtful but possible that you forgot to put in a catch spring.
This is my rifle there are many like it but this one is mine. Without me my rifle is nothing without my rifle I am nothing.AMEN.
SEMPER FI BIATCH!

If you want peace, prepare for war.

"To All Who Enter, May All Hope Be Lost..."

#3 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:21 PM

I did a spring replacement with a nf replacement spring. Here are the dimensions: 7/8" x 4" x .080".
Now, the gun will not catch. I'm almost positive all the pieces are in their correct spots.
Do I need to cut down the spring or something? SPU said he cut 4 loops off of his spring, but I don't know how big his was.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

.080" gauge wire is definately too strong for the gun. You are going to need a new spring because that thing will never catch, either that or the catch will break right off.

#4 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:25 PM

The catch spring is in, I checked that one a couple of times.

.080" gauge wire is definately too strong for the gun. You are going to need a new spring because that thing will never catch, either that or the catch will break right off.

That could be it. Though these springs work just fine in my NF, no cutting required.

#5 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:22 PM

Take the stock longshot spring out and measure it. Your added spring will need to be of similar length, or optimall just have the same compressed length. I may also want to replace the trigger plate spring to prevent misfires.

I'm fairly sure the spring you have chosen is much too long and won't allow the plunger to travel far enough backwards to engage the trigger plate.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 06 October 2006 - 08:24 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#6 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:32 PM

I'm fairly sure the spring you have chosen is much too long and won't allow the plunger to travel far enough backwards to engage the trigger plate.

The spring is smaller than the original spring. Actually, it's smaller than the plunger rod. If I could get it to fire, it would rattle around because it is too short.

I don't really get what's wrong. If it's too strong, then how does a BBB spring work just fine? I'll try a regular NF spring instead of this one.

#7 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:49 PM

The spring is smaller than the original spring. Actually, it's smaller than the plunger rod. If I could get it to fire, it would rattle around because it is too short.

The more important length is the compressed length of the spring. If the wire gauge of the added spring is too high you won't be able to compress the spring far enough for the plunger to travel back far enough to engage the trigger plate.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users