Photo

Interesting Titan Mod

2 replies to this topic

#1 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 05:15 PM

Well recently I decided that my unmodded Titan was worth the time to mess with, but I didnt want to do any internal mods, because it is my brothers gun. So I decided to make an attachment in the front to shoot nerf darts out of. After a little creative building, I came up with this:

http://i85.photobuck...921/rc_full.jpg

http://i85.photobuck...21/rl_front.jpg

I loaded a nerf dart in, pumped it up about 15 times, and fired, but got unsatisfactory results. The dart went all curvy and had little distance. I was dissapointed, because I now had wasted a lot of time and PVC. But a couple days later i stumbled upon a way to make thin, cone-shaped darts out of magazine pages.

http://i85.photobuck...921/rc_dart.jpg

I made a couple, and to my suprise, they shot very well with good accuracy out of the titan. It also got me wondering; the darts were easy to make, and cost almost nothing to produce, so why not use them in place of nerf darts in the guns that can accomodate them? I am writing this becase 1) This could be a much cheaper way to make nerf darts and 2) I wanted to get some opinions on this idea. Thanks.
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#2 InkJet

InkJet

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:16 PM

I love making those darts. For your first tries, those look pretty good. I remember using my massive pneumatic cannon to try and launch those, i pumped it up to 80 psi and tried to fire it. If it fired, it went on a crazy path for about 200 feet, if it didn't work, the dart blew up the second it left the barrel :lol: . I'd say it's a good idea, i'll test it with my BBB and NF real quick. I've only ever used them successfully in a blowgun, but it's worth a try.

BBB: These darts still allow me to vacuum suck them into the back of the barrel. But wow, the range is great. It seems to stay flying straight and accurate for a long time.

NF: Dart went crazy, but accelerated really nicely.

Pros: Accurate, dirt cheap, sleek looking, easy materials.

Cons: After about one shot, the nose is disfigured, and can't be used anymore, because it makes the dart go on a crazy path, labor intensive, fragile, and probably not as easy to make the darts exactly the same each time.

Conclusion: If you had the time/patience to make these, they'd work great for long range weapons that you want accuracy on. They're much too fragile to be loaded into a breech, at least i think so. They seem to be only good for one shot, unless they don't hit a target and skid to a stop on the ground. They will hurt on skin, which can be good or bad.

One bit of advice I have for correcting the problem with disfigured tips, is that instead of taping the tip, once you have about an inch of paper to roll up, take some elmer's glue and squirt it on the paper, roll it up, and rub the glue on the tip of the dart. Let it dry and the tip is much harder than before.

I think this idea has promise, but these can draw blood easily (trust me), so they may not be allowed everywhere. If someone else with a more extensive arsenal than me could do more tests, that would be great.

http://tomshiro.org/pdart/primer.html is how to make these darts. It seems that the barrel has to be a good length, because my 4.5" NF barrel wasn't long enough, but my 9-10" BBB barrel worked great. Great idea CROW!!!

Edit: Damn BBcode Links

Edited by InkJet, 30 September 2006 - 08:20 PM.

#3 Draconic74

Draconic74

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 03:54 PM

Whoa! That looks almost like the mod im finishing for my Titan. I didnt want to mess with internal stuff, so using PVC connectors i made a barrel. It looks really close to that. Unfortunatly, it only shoots about 20-30 feet. Its because the rubber stickers on the darts create too much friction on the PVC. Soon I'll have some homemade ones and I'm hopeing that tey go farther. I should try magazine page darts. How far did they go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users