Photo

Brass Cutting Problem

5 replies to this topic

#1 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:21 AM

As most of you know, brass is pretty bendable. It's not super strong. Well I am doing Angels BBB mod right now and I use a brass pipe cutter to cut my brass.

When I use the pipecutter with brass it like leaves an indent. In most cases teis indent wouldn't matter, but in this case I am having 19/32 slide over 9/16.... Is sawing the second best way to handle this? When I do saw, it comes out uneven, what works best to file/sand it even?

Thanks
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#2 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:27 AM

There's a few things you can do. You can use a saw and a miter box to ensure a square cut. (X-acto sells a jeweler's saw ans miter box set). If you don't hav a miter box, you can sand afterwards to smooth out a rough cut.

You can use the pipe cutter, but make the cut very s-l-o-w-l-y. Or, cut it at normal speed, and bend the crimp back out afterwards. I use a needlenose pliers that I twist in the end to flare brass tubing. You'd just be stopping before it flares. (Take a look at my pump breech writeup for an example of what I mean).

But really, the best way to avoid a crimp is to not get one in the first place. I'd suggest cutting carefully and sanding if necessary.

Edited by Carbon, 30 September 2006 - 08:28 AM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#3 FromAbove

FromAbove

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:48 AM

I have encountered this problem working with copper and Alum. tubing and find it effective to use a cone shaped grinding stone attached to my dremel to flatten out any unsightly edges. It would probably be much easier to do this with brass compared to alum, and copper.

Goodluck!

FA

Edited by FromAbove, 30 September 2006 - 08:48 AM.

Connor: Oh, is that right, Rambo?
Murphy: All right, get your stupid fucking rope.

Do you mean with an integration or what? Because size doesn't have anything to do with performance...-NerfMonkey

#4 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:28 AM

Aye, just cut slowly (advance slowly... not spin slowly).

If I still get a cramp, then I usually take my file and spin it 'round, pushing it in as I go. This basically sands off the cramp. It'd be easier with a round file... but they're $8. Bastards.
(pun fully intended.... I don't swear)

If that still doesn't work, then I use the method Carbon discussed.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#5 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:29 PM

Thanks everyone.

I'll first try the needlenose pliers idea. I should have thought of that..
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#6 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:34 PM

You might want to try a deburring tool as well. They're cheap and invaluable.
Posted Image
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users