Photo

It's Reminder Time Again...

Some have forgotten some simple rules...

3 replies to this topic

#1 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 01:58 AM

Lots and lots of new members joining the NerfHaven family. Welcome to all.

However, many of the new members, and a few members that have been here awhile, have either:
---forgotten to read
---ignored
---or just plain do not understand the link that many of us post which lead to NerfHaven's Code of Conduct.

Just a reminder. Those are not suggestions. They are represent of how we expect all of you who use NerfHaven's forums to conduct yourselves. I'm not going to waste my breath, or my posts, on reminding people to check back on the CoC anymore.

I've kept quiet long enough.

I've tried REALLY hard to use a lot of restraint here, but it just about busted my boiler. And when you're an old fart like me, stuff like that can cause some pretty nasty damage with my aging body. Thusly, I want to bring to memory some VERY important bits from the past. I'll let my buddies do the talking.

Stupid n00bs are irritating. Really irritating.

In fact, the only thing more irritating than stupid n00bs is 5 or 10 people immediately telling them how stupid they are. In every single post they make.

Tough love has gotten to the point around here where I'm about ready to suspend myself for a few years just to escape it. NH has become a site full of pissants and it's really pathetic.

Though he doesn't know it yet and may very well refuse, I have appointed Ompa as the official stupid n00b greeter. Ompa is the only person allowed to tell people to read the Code of Conduct. Ompa is the only person allowed to tell people to fix their grammar. Ompa is the only person allowed to complain about double posting or bumping. If Ompa doesn't tell them off and I don't suspend them then it's not a problem.

The rest of you can either help the n00bs out or shut the fuck up.

That was almost two years ago. Ompa's an admin now.
If ompa cannot be, or isn't immediately available, let one of the other admins take it from there. Everyone else sit on their hands.
How's that? Fit everyone well? If it doesn't, let one of the admins know and we'll ease your pain.

Some of you new members may be asking yourself why the site is like this. You're probably thinking that if we treat all newbies like this that the game will never grow and this site will eventually die. Unfortunetely for you, that's the furthest from the truth.

We have high standards for this site because it was created to be such. It was created to be a HAVEN from the high school lunch table that is the NIC as it exsists on most forums.

If you feel you will have an issue with living to these standards I want to forward you to our brothers at www.nerfhq.com. Some will argue NHQ is not as quality as this site, which I will not comment on at this time, but they are far more loose with their standards.

We're tough, but we're fair. Actually, scratch that. We're not fair, so tough. Read, figure out how things are done, and enjoy your stay at Nerf Haven.

Talio isn't around much right now with RealLife™ and all, but I wondered why things were so much easier to read back then. I have neither Viking blood, nor thirst for it like Talio, but that doesn't mean we're going to allow NerfHaven to descend into the same category as some of the other Nerf forums out there.

Consider yourself warned. We're not a democracy here, you don't have a God-given right to post here, follow the Code of Conduct or we'll show you the doorway to NHQ.

Thank you for your time.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#2 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:21 AM

Consider yourself warned.

Yessir. I already do.

If ompa cannot be, or isn't immediately available, let one of the other admins take it from there. Everyone else just sit on their hands.

Yessir. I'll remember that from now on. I'm sorry, sir. I'll use PM's more frequently now.

We're tough, but we're fair. Actually, scratch that. We're not fair, so tough.

Very well said. That about sums it up. I don't remember who said it, but Talio's quote brought this to mind: "The benevolence of the dictatorship is in the eyes of the beholder."

I can't speak for everyone around here, but I know that I'll do my part keeping the forums clean and coherent. That's the reason I believe NH is considered by many to be 'better' than NHQ; the coherency. The user-base is almost irrelevant as long as the forum is 'clean' enough to read through, spam wise, grammar wise and spelling wise.

Again: I can't speak for everyone, but I for one am ashamed that we've gotten to the point where we need an entire thread to remind us what we agreed to when we signed up for the site. It's good that this site is based around the well thought out transference of ideas. As somone wise once wrote "On the Internet, you grammar and spelling are your hygene and personal appearance. Don't be a smelly hobo."

-Pat

Edited by {SF3G}pat 1st Lt., 26 September 2006 - 07:22 AM.

QUOTE(euphemism) View Post
QUOTE(Pat) View Post

It gave the site a sort of 'homy' feeling.

Did you know that "m" can sometimes look like "rn" when read quickly?

#3 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:27 AM

Yeah, I think I'm adequately settled in to college at this point... I should be able to catch up with at least 90% of the new posts per day. And I actually WILL start suspending people.

Pat, no need to apologize, just follow what he said.

~ompa

#4 Megamannt92

Megamannt92

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:37 PM

I read the Code the first time i got here.

But if anything annoys you about me tell me and i will quit it.

B)
Muaha! We aint' no Geocity anymore. Join here! The Foam Universe!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users